Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2024, 1:24 pm

how much would it cost to build a spaceship that millions of people could live on?

another idea is a mothership with smaller ships for people that would hover around the mothership.

Is this financially feasible? And a good hedge against evil AI turning against us?

Let me know what you think.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:12 pm

Considering that wealthy countries struggle to put a single person on the moon, as an example - I don't think there will be millions of people boarding mother-ships any time soon. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:12 pm

How exactly would it provide a hedge against AI? :scratch:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I imagine he thinks that boarding a mother-ship will be an escape from a scorched Earth where evil AI reigns supreme.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:16 pm

misha00 wrote:
how much would it cost to build a spaceship that millions of people could live on?

In what currency?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:17 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I imagine he thinks that boarding a mother-ship will be an escape from a scorched Earth where evil AI reigns supreme.

I feel like assuming the AI wouldn't be on the spaceship as well isn't a very sound assumption to make.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I feel like assuming the AI wouldn't be on the spaceship as well isn't a very sound assumption to make.

I agree with your assessment.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:18 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
misha00 wrote:

In what currency?

Neo-Britannian Kilos. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Mar 2024, 8:57 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Considering that we althy countries struggle to put a single person on the moon, as an example - I don't think there will be millions of people boarding mother-ships any time soon. :lol:
I bet Jeff Bezos could afford to build one if he likes the idea & then he'd charge everyone a small fortune to get inside.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 9:06 pm

Until the micro-gravity issues and the radiation problem can be solved, its not feasible - no matter how much money you have whether its gold-pressed latinum, or quatloos, it simply doesn't matter.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 9:53 pm

Artificial intelligence aside, here's the price.
At its most optimistic, the current capacity of the spaceX cargo ship is $40/kg. Assuming 80kg per person, the transportation cost alone is $3200/person。This is acceptable given that world per capita output is 12000 $per year.

The International Space Station costs $100 billion, and I'm not sure how much a ship that can hold 7 billion people would cost, given the Marginal effect. At × 10 million, the cost is one quintillion

In 2022, the total global GDP will exceed 100 trillion US dollars, Which is almost negligible compared to the numbers above.

So in order to deal with artificial intelligence, my advice is to hold its plug in your hand to make sure you can power it off when you need.

Wait, millions of people? That's affordable, but I want to know what criteria you use to pick the lucky ones.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 8:46 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I agree with your assessment.

Now, now... Who would want that. (You already know the answer. # ‘insert Vincent Price’s evil laugh here’)

You cannot escape the Frankenstein Monster in the room, no matter how hard you try. AI will eventually win. It is following evolution after all. “Only the fittest survive, and we are no longer fit.”

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 1:14 pm

Cost is related to mass. You need to lift each person out of Earth’s gravity well. That is assuming these people were born on Earth.
Currently lifting mass off the Earth requires chemical energy, though experimental Nuclear powered rockets exist now and/or have existed. However: assuming that the rocket/space habitat is built in space using materials from the moon or asteroid belt changes costs. Once built the humans could be born in space to change the equations for mass. Mars is another possibility. ISRU (In Situ Resource Utilization) means using things in space that you find in space and not trying to lift everything you need out of Earth’s gravity well. Google it.

ISBN 140218338
Space Settlements A Design Study
Is a non-fiction book on the subject. Gerard K. O’Neill is a contributor. He also happens to be a Princeton professor and one of the inventors of the cyclotron. And one of Jeff Bezos’ teachers.

ISBN 9781451608113
The Case for Mars
By Robert Zubrin
Is another non-fiction book on the subject.
Zubrin worked for Lockheed Martin

In other news Jeff Bezos may buy ULA which includes Lockheed and Boeing’s Space Launch Business

https://www.fool.com/investing/2023/11/ ... -space-jv/

Cost per kg covered here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_l ... ompetition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 8:40 am

And ...where do you wanna GO with this space ship?

The moon?

Another planet in our solar system?

Or to the next star system?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 12:27 pm

And how do you propose to feed and provide enough clean air and water for so many people? So far, we don't have adequate technology to build a successful closed eco-system.

How much time do you intend to stay in space? Vision loss, heart damage, muscle atrophy, bone density issues are all a direct consequence of a micro-gravity environment.

And what about the radiation issue?

Earthlings have evolved to live on the earth. Until we can replicate those conditions either in space or on another planet...we are stuck here,

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2024, 12:37 pm

I am only asking because I feel that in maybe 8-10 years (rough estimate) it might not be worth living on this planet anymore.