Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

catlover14
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2024, 1:15 pm

I’ve dealt with bad allergies pretty much my entire life, but lately they’ve been getting out of control. I take allergy medications and went through five years of allergy shots when I was younger. I have air purifiers in my house and even have dust mite mattress and pillow covers to try and help. The past two nights I haven’t been able to sleep because both of my nostrils were clogged and I had a really bad wet cough from all the mucus in my throat. I have asthma that gets a lot worse when my allergies are bad and I get hives pretty regularly too. I went to the doctor today to see if they could do anything to help but they said that there’s nothing more that they can do. I’m considering just moving to an area where there are fewer allergens around me but I really don’t want to leave my family and I’m not in a position where I can move right now. Is there anything that I might be missing or that has worked for any of you? I’m just so worn down and feel so helpless, any suggestions would be appreciated!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Mar 2024, 5:51 pm

I've had sinus allergy problems most of my life. Also I've had bad skin eczema that had cleared up in my teens but started getting bad again in my 30s. I've been on a couple allergy meds for 10 years now that only slightly help. My docs are kinda lost as to what else could be done. The only meds that majorly help me with my skin & allergies are systemic steroids. I was taking Prednisolone for a few years as a result. However I built up a tolerance & it quit helping so I weaned myself off of it about half a year ago. I've been doing various research & the newer biologic type meds like Dupixent might would help & my doc would be willing to prescribe it but my insurance will not cover them for me because their full cost is at least 5x what I get a month from Disability. I think there's a chance the old-skewl traditional immunosuppressants might would help me like Methotrexate or Cyclosporine. Before biologics they were the long-term systemic meds used for skin eczema & there's various cases online of people who found they help with allergies. My insurance would likely cover them but my doc will not prescribe them. I'm about ready to try getting one without a prescription because I'm very frustrated with dealing with these problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 5:59 pm

My allergies were terrible in my early twenties. I used to get a sore throat and my sinuses played up a lot more than they do now, with several types of food allergens.

I had to go on an elimination diet at one point.

I am not sure what has resolved most of my issues in that regard, aside from the passage of time.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2024, 2:50 pm

My allergies got to the point that I began keeping track of everything I "ingested" and then I was able to eliminate foods that were offending me that most other people could eat with no problem. I use the word "ingested" here because I learned that whatever comes in contact with skin is absorbed; you don't have to eat something for it to cause problems.

It eventually became too much for me to keep in my head so now I have two lists that detail what foods are OUT and which ones are still IN. They fill up an entire sheet of paper with two columns for OUT and two for IN. At this point I have an extensive baseline so if I try one thing new and problem(s) arise, I know immediately what the culprit was.

I lost faith in the medical profession years ago. I bank on my own experience with a little help from Dr. Google along.

Allergies are difficult to deal with but reactions are so individualized its hard for even a doctor to know what to do. That's why you are pretty much on your own.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.