Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 4:06 pm

When you are talking to someone and they have there back turned to you what do you think that means in terms of body language.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 4:16 pm

Why would you be trying to converse with someone with their back yo you? That's a cue to either stop talking until the person turns back to look in your direction or that the person is unwilling or unable to converse with you any more.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 5:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:
When you are talking to someone and they have there back turned to you what do you think that means in terms of body language.

I would say that that situation is a bit like a closed door if they have been speaking to you and then turn their back on you.

If you start talking to someone whilst the are positioned with their back to you, and if they don't turn around - then they likely don't want to talk to you.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 3:26 pm

If the other person is doing something, like cutting vegetables or watching for something out of a window. You come in and start talking. They don't turn around but continue the conversation: I would say they are saying, I am busy and this is more important, but I will take your conversation into account.

If they turn around while you are speaking: They are concealing their facial reactions from you.

If you walk up to them and talk, they are doing nothing, but don't turn around and talk back to you: Your conversation is not important and they want you to go away.

If you have a conversation and they turn their back after the conversation has finished: The conversation is over, they don't wish to discuss it anymore, they want you to go away.

I can't think of other reasons the other person would be facing the other way.

You should look up symbolic interactionism.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 8:11 pm

You wait until they're facing you again.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 8:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's talking at someone, rather than talking to someone.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う