Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dumpyfrog
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2024, 9:46 pm

my special interest is actually animation (2d)

never met anyone that understands how i feel about it in the slightest and most of my family think it's childish, so..

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 12:23 pm

I'm into fortune telling of all different sorts. :D As well as all sorts of "alternative" stuff like aromatherapy, crystal healing, herbal medicine ...etc. Unfortunately nobody in my family cares about those. Some of them are affronted by the word "luck" already, so I never talk about my interest seriously. I myself don't believe them (my interests) very much but it's all good fun. My husband says I have the quality of making people believe what I say, so I really shouldn't tell people about all these crap. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 1:11 pm

I like using my PC to manipulate found images online.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 9:58 pm

Postage stamps. I've been interested since I was 12 and the interest has waxed and waned since then. I went to a stamp collectors fair last year and I was the only female there. That felt weird.

No one in my family cares and I have no friends so this is a solo interest.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 10:09 pm

Paranormal

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2024, 2:09 pm

dumpyfrog wrote:
my special interest is actually animation (2d)

never met anyone that understands how i feel about it in the slightest and most of my family think it's childish, so..

As a guy with an obsession in film and tv, animation is certainly an interest of mine.
I'm a total cartoon junkie and recognize that animation is an art, so much so that people I know don't dare say stuff like "kid's movie" or even just cartoon when referring to an animated feature, lest I lecture them on adult animation or info-dump about Coraline (2009).
Stop-motion is definitely a special interest of mine and my favorite type of animation, and most films using it definitely aren't for kids. Sorry for the long reply, I just wanted to say I relate.
P.S. Great pfp, Moominvalley is a national treasure.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2024, 9:02 pm

Old anime dubs, the kind of dubs that just got tossed onto home video by companies trying to cash in on the home video craze of the early 80s by licensing some random Japanese cartoons and editing them and dubbing them as something for the kiddies (because it was cheaper for these companies than making a completely original cartoon).

I don't talk about this interest too much just because, in these days, people obviously prefer accurate dubs and translations of anime (and I do too, I obviously don't want to go back to these days when it comes to modern translations) but IDK I just like them. (Especially if it's a series that, in Japan, is actually super influential and iconic but the only English release was like 6 episodes released on VHS and Betamax by some company called Best Children's Entertainment Video in 1983)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 7:26 pm

Characters who look like peas.

SailorsGuy12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2024, 3:56 pm

I don't always care too much about people knowing about my more "frivilous" interests but some I want to suppress when socially interacting with friends. I guess it turned into a habit. I have several, I like cartoons especially the ones that aren't as well remembered and I like a lot of niche media-related things.

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression

manyicewizards
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2024, 6:10 pm

I haven't had a special interest in a while, but I think I've experienced special interests that aren't at all academic. My last obsession was the Twilight saga - which was perplexing to me because I'd never even liked it before and I still think they are badly written books and badly done films. But that only added to the charm somehow - I rewatched and re-read them constantly, tried to pick out every plot-hole and inconsistency, learned every bit of trivia I could, got my hands on any memorabilia I could, read and watched any interview I could.

Special interests can be strange in how out of the blue they can feel.