Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 1:18 am

People here keep saying Aspergers is also Autism, people here also confuse me by saying different stuff. I want to know if I should say Autism, I want to keep up to date

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 7:04 am

Both the DSM and the ICD say Asperger’s is Autism. Think of it as a subset. If you made Venn diagram Autism would be the big circle and Asperger’s would be a smaller circle completely contained inside the bigger circle.

I don’t think the word Asperger’s is in the most recent version of the DSM. I think the ICD lists it as an alternate term for a subset.

I could double check.

People still use the word Asperger’s but if you were newly diagnosed today you wouldn’t get it as a diagnosis.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 7:44 am

Aspergers as a diagnosis went out of fashion because of Hans Asperger having been in Nazi Germany and so the ties to the Nazis made it forbidden politically.
Now Aspergers is referred to as Autism level 1 in the DSM used to diagnose autism today.
People who were diagnosed with Aspergers before the title was abandoned are still legitimately able to use the Aspergers diagnosis label, but might be "shouted down" or criticized by those who hate the idea of Naziism and
associate that name with the ideas behind Nazis. Everybody needs to make up their own minds whether to use the name or not, but today in the DSM "Aspergers" no longer exists.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson