Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Benks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2024, 8:39 am

Not sure if I belong here, so my stay may be brief. I’m trying to figure out a specific symptom that I have and maybe some social oddities that have become increasingly apparent.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 8:48 am

Whatever your situation, welcome, you can stay here as long as you want.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 9:06 am

Welcome to WP!

I hope you stay and join your fellow alien Earth walkers. :alien:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 12:09 pm

There wasn't enough information here so I looked at another threat of yours. It said:

I have a specific “thing” that happens. No idea what it is. I have a doc looking into it cause I recently thought “hey, this seems like it could be an issue.” Physical abnormalities ruled out for inner ear, sleep, and brain.

Here is the most consistent way to trigger it. I’ll be on a road trip (30 min+) driving at highway speed. Speed limit very slowly decreases to 35. Then my perception of the world goes all wonky. My sense of speed gets “uncalibrated.” Feels like I’m going 150mph at 35, or if I speed up it feels like I’m stationary. No clue how to describe that. Sound becomes weird- like the hi/mid/low audio knobs in my brain get turned to strange settings. I’ve done plenty of experiments while this is happening and these symptoms seem to be the only ones.

To make it stop, I typically have to pull over and do something that makes me forget about the “thing” that’s happening. That’s tough to do sometimes. I have to actually do something, not just walk around and wait.

Stimming (or stimming adjacent) seems to help reduce these symptoms. Shaking my head to make me momentarily dizzy helps. Like trying to force my brain to stay “normal.” Also slapping my leg for the audio and physical stimuli. This will reduce the severity of the “thing” while it is starting, but does not help once it sets in.

Does this at all sound like something autism related?

Well that is a strange symptom. I will give you my thoughts but they may sound a little strange.
The human brain has two halves. One on the right side of your skull and the other on the left side. There is come connecting tissue that joins the two sides. They are very different brains. In general, the right side of the brain after around age 11 or 12 years becomes the sleep brain. It lives in our sleep, in REM and deep NREM sleep.

But for some of us, we experience a brain flip during childhood. That is why this site is named Wrong Planet. It is like we live in a different planet.

Stimming reminds me of a girl who appeared on American Idle a few years ago. She got on stage but was almost unable to talk because she could hardly talk because of stuttering.

According to the internet: "Stimming was identified as a repetitive, usually rhythmic behaviour that was commonly expressed through body movements (variously described as hand flapping, finger flicking, hair pulling or pinching, feet flexing, spinning, necklace playing) but also vocalisations (e.g. muttering, grunting, stuttering, whistling, ..."

This is because the human brain has two sides. The left side controls the knowledge of spoken words and the right side contains the knowledge of sung words.

So in a way you might be in the right place.

You also spoke about driving down the road unable to control your speed because you lost your ability to judge the speed you were driving. This is a strange characteristic. This makes some sense if you understand that you have multiple brains within you brain. One of these moves at an incredible rate of speed. It is like a speeding bullet.

When I was around 18 or 19, I was driving cross country. It was very late at night and I fell asleep at the wheel. I drove for 2 hours asleep at the wheel. Then suddenly I woke up. It was my other brain who decided to drive for me. It was my sleep brain. But then we came across a split in the road and it didn't know what to do. It panicked. I came too just as I came into the intersection. I quickly stopped and then tried to figure out what happened. It is very similar to children who are sleep walkers. Two hours of driving down the road at 65 mph asleep.

So your inability to judge your speed while driving reminds me of a book, a really interesting book by a woman who almost died. She suffered a stroke and came back but as a different person. She describes human being as four brains within up. Four different persons each with their own characteristics. The book is called "Whole Brain Living" by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 3:36 pm

Welcome to WP! Whether you get a diagnosis, or not, I hope you find WP to be a nice place to visit.

To help assess the possibility of Autism, I hope you have found these online resources:
- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!
They cannot give you a formal diagnosis but they might help you assess the likelihood "Autism" is your answer.

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2024, 4:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Benks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2024, 5:15 pm

jimmy m wrote:
There wasn't enough information here so I looked at another threat of yours. It said:

I have a specific “thing” that happens. No idea what it is. I have a doc looking into it cause I recently thought “hey, this seems like it could be an issue.” Physical abnormalities ruled out for inner ear, sleep, and brain.

Here is the most consistent way to trigger it. I’ll be on a road trip (30 min+) driving at highway speed. Speed limit very slowly decreases to 35. Then my perception of the world goes all wonky. My sense of speed gets “uncalibrated.” Feels like I’m going 150mph at 35, or if I speed up it feels like I’m stationary. No clue how to describe that. Sound becomes weird- like the hi/mid/low audio knobs in my brain get turned to strange settings. I’ve done plenty of experiments while this is happening and these symptoms seem to be the only ones.

To make it stop, I typically have to pull over and do something that makes me forget about the “thing” that’s happening. That’s tough to do sometimes. I have to actually do something, not just walk around and wait.

Stimming (or stimming adjacent) seems to help reduce these symptoms. Shaking my head to make me momentarily dizzy helps. Like trying to force my brain to stay “normal.” Also slapping my leg for the audio and physical stimuli. This will reduce the severity of the “thing” while it is starting, but does not help once it sets in.

Does this at all sound like something autism related?

Well that is a strange symptom. I will give you my thoughts but they may sound a little strange.
The human brain has two halves. One on the right side of your skull and the other on the left side. There is come connecting tissue that joins the two sides. They are very different brains. In general, the right side of the brain after around age 11 or 12 years becomes the sleep brain. It lives in our sleep, in REM and deep NREM sleep.

But for some of us, we experience a brain flip during childhood. That is why this site is named Wrong Planet. It is like we live in a different planet.

Stimming reminds me of a girl who appeared on American Idle a few years ago. She got on stage but was almost unable to talk because she could hardly talk because of stuttering.

According to the internet: "Stimming was identified as a repetitive, usually rhythmic behaviour that was commonly expressed through body movements (variously described as hand flapping, finger flicking, hair pulling or pinching, feet flexing, spinning, necklace playing) but also vocalisations (e.g. muttering, grunting, stuttering, whistling, ..."

This is because the human brain has two sides. The left side controls the knowledge of spoken words and the right side contains the knowledge of sung words.

So in a way you might be in the right place.

You also spoke about driving down the road unable to control your speed because you lost your ability to judge the speed you were driving. This is a strange characteristic. This makes some sense if you understand that you have multiple brains within you brain. One of these moves at an incredible rate of speed. It is like a speeding bullet.

When I was around 18 or 19, I was driving cross country. It was very late at night and I fell asleep at the wheel. I drove for 2 hours asleep at the wheel. Then suddenly I woke up. It was my other brain who decided to drive for me. It was my sleep brain. But then we came across a split in the road and it didn't know what to do. It panicked. I came too just as I came into the intersection. I quickly stopped and then tried to figure out what happened. It is very similar to children who are sleep walkers. Two hours of driving down the road at 65 mph asleep.

So your inability to judge your speed while driving reminds me of a book, a really interesting book by a woman who almost died. She suffered a stroke and came back but as a different person. She describes human being as four brains within up. Four different persons each with their own characteristics. The book is called "Whole Brain Living" by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD.

Sleep is a very interesting point. I made a reply on my other thread as I thought it fit better over there. My primary doctor suspected a sleep problem as her first suspicion. That didn’t turn out to go anywhere tho.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 5:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 5:59 pm

Green!

Benks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2024, 7:19 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! Whether you get a diagnosis, or not, I hope you find WP to be a nice place to visit.

To help assess the possibility of Autism, I hope you have found these online resources:
They cannot give you a formal diagnosis but they might help you assess the likelihood "Autism" is your answer.

Both those tests yield very negative. That’s a tough test to take correctly tho. I caught myself re-answering questions a few times.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 11:37 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 9:45 am

Benks wrote:
Sleep is a very interesting point. I made a reply on my other thread as I thought it fit better over there. My primary doctor suspected a sleep problem as her first suspicion. That didn’t turn out to go anywhere tho.

I think that the book "Whole Brain Living" by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD might help you figure out what is going on. It is a very strange way of describing the construction of the human brain, but it does provide answers, especially if you combine it with the way the human brain contains two halves. One on the right and the other on the left side of your skull.

There was a member on this site for a short time. His name was Huck Finn. He was a ghost. He has an IQ above 150. But he thinks in images rather then words. His mind works so fast. That speed is normally only seen in your sleep cycle where energy moves at light speed inside your brain.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

Benks wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Both those tests yield very negative. That’s a tough test to take correctly tho. I caught myself re-answering questions a few times.

Perhaps you are not Autistic, then? That's OK. Lots of people aren't Autistic.

Benks wrote:
I’m trying to figure out a specific symptom that I have and maybe some social oddities that have become increasingly apparent.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the "specific symptom" you have?

CoffeeCups
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2024, 3:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet and I hope you enjoy your stay!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 4:36 pm

welcome!
you are free to ask questions, there are lots of experienced folks here with great insights and explanations. Hope you find what you need. Glad you found us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 8:34 am

Benks, let me explain one more of your characteristics. Humans are a very unique beings. This is because we have multiple brains. Generally only one brain is online at any given moment but we switch between them. Some of these brains exist during the daytime but others exist in deep sleep rapid eye movement (REM) and deep nonrapid eye movement (NREM) sleep. These two sleep states are very different from each other. One of these sleep states is unbelievably fast. It moves in near light speed.

So when you discussed the event that occurred during your driving, this comes to light that perhaps your body had entered this sleep state while you were awake driving. If so, it is important to know that this sleep state can be a great asset or a great curse. You need to know how to use it. I will try and explain. Almost 4 years ago, I almost died. We had a flood and the water was very strong. I have a bridge that is over 20 feet long and a large pipe that allows the water to flow through the bridge under normal conditions. But this was a flood. I tried to clean the pipe but the water was so strong that it pulled me into this stream. I opened my eyes and could quickly see that I was in the pipe moving over 100 mile per hour. This brain came on line and quickly determined the deadly condition that I was in. As a result, in less than a second it determined what to do. I had to move all my arms together and flow with the water. Not fight it. And after 2 seconds if I was still alive, try to swim to the surface. The force of the flood was so strong it tore some of my clothing off. My sleep brain had come online and told me what to do to save my life. It all happened in less then a second.

There was an interesting movie two years ago. It was called "Top Gun Maverick". The movie shows what happens when you bring several of these individuals that possess this unique quality together. They can perform very unique things. But you must learn how to use this skill.