Intelligent design has no place in science classrooms.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 8:44 am

Intelligent design has no more place in the science classroom than the stork does in sex education class. Why do some people try to get intelligent design in the science classes? It doesn't belong.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 8:53 am

who's saying it does? Schools here aren't teaching it.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 8:55 am

DanielW wrote:
who's saying it does? Schools here aren't teaching it.

Some people do try to get in the science class, though of course they always fail.

If intelligent design belongs anywhere, it would be in a philosophy class, not science.

Jason Thayer
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Mar 2024, 9:43 am

What's wrong with it? And before you insult Christians, bear in mind that not all of them deny science.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 9:52 am

Jason Thayer wrote:
What's wrong with it? And before you insult Christians, bear in mind that not all of them deny science.

Intelligent design isn't a scientific concept. What place does it have in a science class?

It's literally 'science can't explain everything, so a creator is required'.

Imagine if instead of just teaching germ theory they had to teach 'intelligent misfortune' alongside it.

Imagine if instead of just teaching gravity they had to teach 'intelligent falling' alongside it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 12:02 pm

There is a difference between real science and science worship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 1:13 pm

The intelligent design theory is about as plausible as the flat Earth theory, while the other well-known explanation of how all this sophisticated stuff we call life came into existence is so highly plausible that it seems fairly safe to accept it as a fact until such time as something is discovered that seriously and demonstrably overturns it. I think a good place for intelligent design theory in schools would be as part of the study of critical thinking, propaganda, and scientific method.

The only people I know of who push for the teaching of intelligent design in schools are fundamentalist Christians in the USA. I guess it's one of those wacky "only in America" things. The Church of England sees no problem with evolution, and reckons that it's not the job of scripture to teach science or history. C of E is much more comfortable with allegory, metaphor, and symbols, and picks no fight with science as such.

American fundamentalists presumably feel threatened by whatever plausible scientific ideas they think run counter to their own rather far-fetched, rigid doctrines. They claim that scripture is completely and literally inerrant, so it's not surprising that they'll often try very hard to refute any discovery that implies a challenge to that claim, because if it's accepted that scripture is wrong about one thing, then it's reasonable to question anything else in that book. Me, I'm much more comfortable with good scientists who welcome sincere, intelligent questioning of their assertions.

As for "science worship," I think science is often worthy of praise, but I never met anybody who worshipped it. I think some religionists quietly twist the definition of worship to fit their argument that everybody worships something, because if they can get that argument to stick, they think it's a step towards persuading people to switch the object of their "worship" to Jesus, and they can make those who argue against worshipping look and feel like hypocrites. But I think their reasoning is faulty. Praise is acknowledging the good in something. Worship involves humbling oneself, giving out extreme flattery, and completely repressing any criticism. I can't imagine any deity worth worshipping who would actually want that from people.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 1:24 pm

Evolution is actually better understood by scientists than gravity, but not too many people object to gravity like they do evolution.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 1:32 pm

There are debates about evolution among scientists, but they are about how evolution occurs, not whether.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2024, 3:42 pm

There were some episodes of Star Trek that touched on intelligent design. I think it's possible that some god like being coulda set life, evolution & other science in motion.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 4:19 pm

NewTime wrote:
Evolution is actually better understood by scientists than gravity, but not too many people object to gravity like they do evolution.

We need to teach the controversy, which is to say teach that Flying Spaghetti Monster using his noodly appendages to hold everything down is just as reasonable as this gravity theory, which is intended to undermine belief in FSM.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 5:06 pm

nick007 wrote:
There were some episodes of Star Trek that touched on intelligent design. I think it's possible that some god like being coulda set life, evolution & other science in motion.

There are scientists/science teachers who believe in theistic evolution. The difference between theistic evolution and intelligent design is that theistic evolution does not deny evolution or any other accepted science.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 7:51 pm

Jason Thayer wrote:
What's wrong with it?
It is neither Biblical nor Scientific.
Jason Thayer wrote:
And before you insult Christians, bear in mind that not all of them deny science.
No need to insult Christians; by their behavior, most "Christians" would seem to be insulting themselves.

The fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  Most "Christians" seem to be practicing sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery (e.g., Sexual exploitation by church leaders); idolatry (e.g., "Prosperity Gospel") and witchcraft (e.g., superstitious nonsense like "Angel Worship"); hatred (e.g., racism, sexism, and other prejudices), discord (e.g., sect leaders denouncing each other), jealousy, fits of rage (Seen Trump lately?), selfish ambition (Trump, again), dissensions, factions (thousands of "Christian" sects all over the world), and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

Again, no need to insult "Christians", they're doing quite well in that department all by themselves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 17 Mar 2024, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 8:20 pm

NewTime wrote:
nick007 wrote:

There are scientists/science teachers who believe in theistic evolution. The difference between theistic evolution and intelligent design is that theistic evolution does not deny evolution or any other accepted science.

There's no reason one can't believe their creator god is guiding evolution at all points throughout time as the on-going act of creation.

They just can't assert it scientifically because it's not a testable hypothesis.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う