Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 12:57 pm

How often did you get sick before Coronavirus?

How often have you gotten sick since Coronavirus?

What kind of unusual diseases have you gotten? What were they like?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Mar 2024, 3:49 pm

I don't get majorly sick much unless it's sinus infections. My girlfriend can be dragging with something for a month but when I get it I'm stuck in bed with a fever for a couple days & then I'm fine. About the only time it last longer for me is when I have sinus infections. The Christmas before Covid we were both sick for a month with sinus infections. I've only been sick a handfull of times since. I never had any unusual diseases, that I was aware of anyways.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 3:59 pm

I don't get sick often, 1-3 times per year at most. There are some years where I didn't get sick at all. Since the pandemic started in 2019 the average hasn't changed, but I have probably had every variant of the Coronavirus. The first time was fairly severe, each time after that has been a little less severe.

Last edited by DanielW on 21 Mar 2024, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 4:19 pm

I have a chronic illness (ME/CFS also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) so in that sense I am always sick, but otherwise I very rarely get sick. I go for years without getting sick. But I also rarely see many people I could pick up an infection from. I have had Covid once that I know of.

I don't understand the part of the question about getting sick before and after Covid. Are you suggesting that after having Covid one would get sick more often? I have never heard that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Mar 2024, 8:28 am

bee33 wrote:
I don't understand the part of the question about getting sick before and after Covid. Are you suggesting that after having Covid one would get sick more often? I have never heard that.
I thought the question was asking about after the pandemic started. Some people got sick more due to catching Covid or repeatedly catching Covid. Having Covid weakens the immune system & makes people more prone to catching respiratory illnesses like pneumonia & bronchitis.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 8:38 am

Since having a school-age child in the house, winter is just an endless parade of mild to moderate viruses brought home from our local educational petrie dish.

I don't know if it's any worse since covid. Who knows.

I'm ill at the moment. It does seem like in recent years when i get a virus it hits much harder than it used to and takes longer to get better. But that might just be me getting older.

I'll tell you this though, for about two years during and after immunotherapy treatment for cancer I was bulletproof. My immune system was turbocharged and nothing could touch me. It was awesome.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 9:44 pm

^That's cool about the immunotherapy. You must have felt great. :D

I haven't had Covid-19, though practically everyone I know has had it. I guess being a homebody has helped, as well as being at work by myself.

The last thing I had was a minor sinus infection last year. I tested many times for Covid-19 but I was never positive. It was all I could do to stick the swab up my nose as it brought on a lot of sneezing.

I have fibromyalgia and chronic asthma and those keep me on my toes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 10:24 pm

When I was young I got pneumonia or bronchitis once a year in October, like clockwork. It turns out I was allergic to the dead plants rotting and my body couldn't fight the bacteria. I had to take allergy needle injections once a week for about 20 years and even go to a respiratory clinic regularly to learn how to breathe better.

Since then I don't really get sick. I've had a "stomach flu" once in my life, and pneumonia maybe twice as an adult. I've never had influenza or "the flu". I had two strokes but those aren't sickness. The rest has been surgical types of things which are related to injuries or internal issues - also not sickness.

I couldn't tell you the last time I threw up. It's been about 20 years maybe? Perhaps morning sickness.

I haven't had a cold in years either.

I had Covid in September 2022 but nothing since.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 11:03 pm

for decades [until I cleaned up my diet] got recurrent sinus infections and chest infections twice per year, each requiring multiple courses of antibiotics to tamp down. then COVID hit me in 2020/2021 during the winter. after that, the sinus infections and chest infections came back. presently dealing with it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 9:05 am

I forgot to add that I had very extreme Strep Throat in 2011 for over a month.
It wasn't responding to any treatment.
I think it was one of those super bugs from back then.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 10:08 am

I have had Covid a few times. I was one of the first people to get it (I had the laundry list of symptoms, distinct from flu) back in early 2020, since my brother must have carried it over from China when he visited the UK.

The first time was the worst time for me.