Shohei Ohtani's interpreter fired over “massive theft”

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 2:01 pm

Dodgers fire Shohei Ohtani's interpreter after Japanese star alleges 'massive theft'

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers have fired Shohei Ohtani's interpreter and close friend after the player's attorneys alleged "massive theft" from the Japanese baseball star in a case tied to sports gambling.

The Dodgers said in a statement Wednesday that Ippei Mizuhara — who has been a constant presence at Ohtani's side since the two-way star's move to the U.S. — was no longer working with the team.

"The Dodgers are aware of media reports and are gathering information. The team can confirm that interpreter Ippei Mizuhara has been terminated. The team has no further comment at this time," the statement said. It followed reports from The Los Angeles Times and ESPN.

Attorneys for Ohtani at the law firm Berk Brettler LLP said in a statement: "In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft and we are turning the matter over to the authorities."

ESPN reported Wednesday night, citing multiple unnamed sources, that Mizuhara's firing came after media questions about his alleged ties to illegal gambling. ESPN reported that the allegations centered on wire transfers from Ohtani's account worth at least $4.5 million, allegedly paid to a bookmaking operation in Southern California that is under federal investigation.

ESPN reported that a spokesman for Ohtani first said that the player had knowingly transferred the funds to cover the gambling debt of Mizuhara, Ohtani's long-term friend and associate.

The same spokesman organized a 90-minute interview between Mizuhara and ESPN on Tuesday night, where Mizuhara explained his side of the story.

He told ESPN that he had incurred the debts betting on the NBA, the NFL, college football and international soccer but never on baseball, which is prohibited by MLB rules.

“Obviously, he [Ohtani] wasn’t happy about it and said he would help me out to make sure I never do this again,” Mizuhara said. “He decided to pay it off for me."

“I want everyone to know Shohei had zero involvement in betting. I want people to know I did not know this was illegal. I learned my lesson the hard way. I will never do sports betting ever again,” he told ESPN.

However, ESPN said that as it prepared to publish its story Wednesday, the spokesman for Ohtani disavowed Mizuhara’s account and said the player’s lawyers would issue a statement.

ESPN reported that Mizuhara then changed his story Wednesday, saying that Ohtani in fact had no knowledge of his gambling debts and Ohtani had not transferred money to the bookmaker’s associate. ESPN reported that Mizuhara said he had been told not to comment on whether he had been accused of theft by Ohtani but declined to say by whom.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman