Chinese migrants risking it all for the American dream

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 12:08 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
even then who cares! they are good looking "white" Hollywood stars.

Well don't flatter yourself, we have plenty and I do mean PLENTY of TV sitcoms about good-looking African American Hollywood stars.

The Cosby Show, Sanford & Son, Family Matters, The Wayans Brothers, Fresh Prince of Belair, That's So Raven, Sister. Sister, Good Times, Kenan and Kel, Everybody Hates Chris, The Bernie Mac Show.

And YET I can't think of any popular American Sitcoms that focus on the lives of Asian Families living in the US.

I guess Canada has a few modern examples now.

There’s a comedy show about a Korean family that owns a convenience store called “Kim’s Convenience.”

A show called “Little Mosque on the prairie,” with Muslim characters. (I assume it’s also a comedy of some sort.)

And there’s a brand new one about a young Indo Canadian woman who becomes a cop in the Vancouver suburb city that I live in called “Allegiance.”

I haven’t seen any of them, just a couple clips from Kim’s Convenience. I almost never watch tv. But I know these shows exist, so it’s a start.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 2:14 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_Off_the_Boat
The series premiered its first two episodes on ABC in February 2015 to positive critical reception, becoming the first network television sitcom in the U.S. to feature a family of Asian Americans as main characters in over 20 years. Prior to its second season, the series went through a retooling, which included Huang's departure as narrator. It received accolades as well as nominations for major awards, such as Critics' Choice Television Award and NAACP Image Award nominations. After becoming the first series featuring an all Asian American main cast to broadcast over 100 episodes, the series concluded on February 21, 2020 after six seasons

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 2:23 am

Crazy Rich Asians stars the same actress that you see in Fresh off the Boat.
That movie did amazingly well at the Box Office.
It has some scenes that were exceptionally well done.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 3:57 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well don't flatter yourself, we have plenty and I do mean PLENTY of TV sitcoms about good-looking African American Hollywood stars.

The Cosby Show, Sanford & Son, Family Matters, The Wayans Brothers, Fresh Prince of Belair, That's So Raven, Sister. Sister, Good Times, Kenan and Kel, Everybody Hates Chris, The Bernie Mac Show.

And YET I can't think of any popular American Sitcoms that focus on the lives of Asian Families living in the US.

Agreed. Actually Fresh of the Boat was cool! The mother played by Constance Wu was hot. And Marco Polo on Netflix was a mostly east Asian cast. All of the actors were highly good looking. Korean actress Kim Soo-hyun who played multiple hollywood roles is one of the most attractive actresses in Hollywood, And don't get me started with Olivia Munn.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 4:04 am

goldfish21 wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I guess Canada has a few modern examples now.

There’s a comedy show about a Korean family that owns a convenience store called “Kim’s Convenience.”

A show called “Little Mosque on the prairie,” with Muslim characters. (I assume it’s also a comedy of some sort.)

And there’s a brand new one about a young Indo Canadian woman who becomes a cop in the Vancouver suburb city that I live in called “Allegiance.”

I haven’t seen any of them, just a couple clips from Kim’s Convenience. I almost never watch tv. But I know these shows exist, so it’s a start.

Canada has the world famous Russell Peters. He's a Calcutta boy. In The US there's Parks and recreation with Aziz Ansari and of course the Office spawned Mindy kaling who has become a producer in her own right. Throw in Kal Penn and Hasan Minaj and it's a virtual indian smorgasbord.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:56 am

Honestly I think its only in recent years that they've started making sitcoms that focus on Asian American families.

But there have been American TV sitcoms that focused of African American families for many decades now (since at least the 1970's I think).

Personally this is just me, but I like Asian entertainment that actually comes from Asian countries. 8) I don't consider myself a weeb but some Japanese anime is actually really good, and I love Japanese horror films and pop music. There's also really good action movies made in China and I've heard positive things about Korean Dramas and Pop Music.

And of course I can't forget Japanese-made video games! :D Maybe these countries in East Asia don't actually need Hollowood? :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 7:45 pm

Japanese cinema has been a template for a lot of Hollywood cinema.
Japanese art/design has been a template for a lot of western design and architecture
Japanese zen has been a precursor for a lot of self-help and meditation
Japanese anime has world wide popularity

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 8:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Japanese cinema has been a template for a lot of Hollywood cinema.
Japanese art/design has been a template for a lot of western design and architecture
Japanese zen has been a precursor for a lot of self-help and meditation
Japanese anime has world wide popularity