Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2024, 4:41 am

What kind of substances do you use to deal with anxiety, other than alcohol?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 7:34 am

I don't use substances. I have learned that to rely on drugs is to expose myself to harm and abuse of my health and maybe my safety due to lack of judgement and impairment it can cause.

I control how I am exposed to social situations, being careful to avoid forcing myself beyond the level of comfort I experience.

I have learned I can do ok with one or two, maybe 3 other people in some environments, but that my processing simply can't cope with forcing myself to do many things others expect of me (or that I used to try to do without success and with much distress).

I do not avoid social situations, I just choose which kinds are healthy for me and seek those out, avoiding others which are too hard, upsetting, dangerous, etc.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 8:23 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I don't use substances. I have learned that to rely on drugs is to expose myself to harm and abuse of my health and maybe my safety due to lack of judgement and impairment it can cause.

I control how I am exposed to social situations, being careful to avoid forcing myself beyond the level of comfort I experience.

I have learned I can do ok with one or two, maybe 3 other people in some environments, but that my processing simply can't cope with forcing myself to do many things others expect of me (or that I used to try to do without success and with much distress).

I do not avoid social situations, I just choose which kinds are healthy for me and seek those out, avoiding others which are too hard, upsetting, dangerous, etc.

I wish I can control things. I just move to a group home cuz of money, everything in California is soooo expensive. I already got social anxiety, keep crying, little meltdown, wanting to pull out my hair, being sooo overwhelmed, wanting to die, staff in the group home think they know better, refusing me stuff.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 8:41 pm

Nothing. I take very low dose ADHD meds, but no antidepressants. I've tried a few in the past but could only take the lowest doses and they didn't work. I don't like pot very much because it makes me dizzy and I already have balance issues. I'm not much of a drinker at all because there are alcoholics in my family history and I was always scared of drunk people.

I have some Lorazepams but only take one about three times a year. I've had the same bottle of 20 for a few years now. They tend to make me depressed afterward so I find they aren't worth it.

The most helpful thing I take is Omega 3 supplements and methylated B complex vitamins.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 8:58 pm

When I was pre-teen?

Anger and hate surpassing the fear and worry.
On other words, recklessness and make others fear instead.

Is this cope? I'm not sure.
I have to make do with the fear and worry.
As a child, I had enough physical prowess and cruelty to afford that kind of mentality.

Back then, to me, it's a choice between being able to move with everyone's (certain) fear and hostility, or me not being able to moving out of (uncertain) fear and hostility of everyone.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 08 Apr 2024, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 8:58 pm

My sheer determination and will. :lol:

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:53 pm

Whatever's handy. :skull:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Apr 2024, 5:21 pm

Buspar/Buspirone~ helps my anxiety a lot in general & probably helps my social anxiety a little or at least helps prevent panic attacks.

Neurontin/Gabapentin~ helps with my OCD thoughts & compulsions. I don't think Neurontin helps my social anxiety but my social anxiety is not related to OCD. Some people do have OCD obsessions & compulsions related to social anxiety & since Neurontin helps my OCD with other things I'm just tossing it out there.

Klonopin/Clonazepam~ helps me feel less anxious if taken before an anxious situation including social ones. I only see a reason take it occasionally for anxiety though.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition