The issue with the death penalty and Developmental Disorders

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2024, 4:20 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I CAN use words in whatever ways seem appropriate to me.

It's better to stick to the definitions that are agreed-upon and call a spade a spade.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 4:50 am

BillyTree wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
I CAN use words in whatever ways seem appropriate to me.

…call a spade a spade.

That’s what I was doing. :wink:

Also, some do agree with the definition I was using.

The following quote is an abstract of an article from Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics and Public Policy, but the article itself is available for free download here.

Quote:
This Article argues that just as the act of forcing sex upon a rapist is itself rape, the execution of a murderer is itself murder. Part I clears the way by defeating three simple, but common, arguments that capital punishment is not murder. Part II shows that despite moral theorists' best attempts to show otherwise, executions seem to instantiate all the morally relevant properties of murder. Part III notes a lacuna in the literature on capital punishment: Even if there is a good moral reason to execute murderers, the distinction between capital punishment and murder requires a plausible account of the state's right to execute citizens. We have no such account.

When it comes to common usage, I’ve often heard people refer to the act of oppressive governments/regimes committing genocide against ethnic groups or religious minorities as “mass murder” even if the killing was mandated by the government. Sometimes and throughout history innocent people or those who were guilty of lesser crimes have been put to death. Few, if any, would consider those deaths justified no matter who was behind them. People seem more likely to refer to capital punishment as “murder” when they don’t think it’s justified. Some don’t think capital punishment is ever justified.

Once again, I am free to use whatever words seem appropriate to me and that best express my specific point of view/philosophical outlook.

Here’s some interesting but somewhat unrelated research I came across regarding views of the death penalty in the US. People who are Republican, less educated, and religious are more likely to be pro-capital punishment.

Quote:
Opinions about the death penalty vary by party, education and race and ethnicity. Republicans and Republican-leaning independents are much more likely than Democrats and Democratic leaners to favor the death penalty for convicted murderers (77% vs. 46%). Those with less formal education are also more likely to support it: Around two-thirds of those with a high school diploma or less (68%) favor the death penalty, compared with 63% of those with some college education, 49% of those with a bachelor’s degree and 44% of those with a postgraduate degree. Majorities of White (63%), Asian (63%) and Hispanic adults (56%) support the death penalty, but Black adults are evenly divided, with 49% in favor and 49% opposed.

Views of the death penalty differ by religious affiliation. Around two-thirds of Protestants in the U.S. (66%) favor capital punishment, though support is much higher among White evangelical Protestants (75%) and White non-evangelical Protestants (73%) than it is among Black Protestants (50%). Around six-in-ten Catholics (58%) also support capital punishment, a figure that includes 61% of Hispanic Catholics and 56% of White Catholics.

Opposition to the death penalty also varies among the religiously unaffiliated. Around two-thirds of atheists (65%) oppose it, as do more than half of agnostics (57%). Among those who say their religion is “nothing in particular,” 63% support capital punishment.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... n-the-u-s/

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm

I was using the legal definition of murder, I am sorry!

Although different states and countries have their own laws and definitions of what murder is.

She did make a good point that states and countries that don't use death penalty would view death penalty as murder, the issue of calling death penalty murder, is if it is legally still used, but it shouldn't be used.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2024, 5:06 pm

I live in a country where the death penalty is not used. Civilized countries don't use the death penalty. I am against the death penalty. I think it's morally wrong. That doesn't change the fact that I think "murder" should be used strictly as a legal term and nothing people throw around to show their disliking of the death penalty.

oboeyoudidnt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2024, 5:19 pm

BillyTree wrote:
Civilized countries don't use the death penalty. I am against the death penalty. I think it's morally wrong.

This 100%. It is deeply disturbing when a government can have somebody killed, no matter what the reason might be. Anyone who cares at all about civil liberties would not support the death penalty. I'm an American and it sickens me that it hasn't been abolished here.

22F, HRT 10 months.

It's great to meet you!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 8:21 pm

I agree

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 10:06 pm

I don't like the idea of anybody being put on death row. There are better ways.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 4:19 pm

That actually makes sense.