Are her parents right about chemotherapy?

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 12:37 pm

Apparently a liver transplant can cause hair loss as well

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 12:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Have you been researching getting a new liver, Jamesy? :mrgreen:

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 1:06 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Do you think it’s true though? I think the problem with a liver a transplant is that you have to be put on medication to keep it going

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 3:58 pm

Jamesy wrote:
My female friend is terrified of getting cancer one day because she fears that chemotherapy will cause bad hair loss. Her hair is very important to her.

Do you think her parents are not considering the devastating impact losing your hair can have on cancer patients when on chemotherapy and it now it effects self esteem/body image.

So she doesn't have cancer but she fears getting cancer? While many people will get cancer, there is also a chance they will have COVID, a car accident, heart attack, choke on a chicken bone, fall off a cliff, die in a plane crash or any number of other ways getting sick or dying.

Death should not be something to fear. It sounds like your friend is "young" and is more worried about how she will look to other people (body/appearance anxiety) > physical suffering from cancer. Tell her to enjoy life and stop worrying about things out of her control. Yes reducing alcohol is supposed to reduce getting cancer so she can control that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:06 pm

You get to a certain age and you suddenly start thinking that every single little twinge is cancer.

I think people worry far too much about death and they forget to live

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
My female friend is terrified of getting cancer one day because she fears that chemotherapy will cause bad hair loss. Her hair is very important to her.

Do you think her parents are not considering the devastating impact losing your hair can have on cancer patients when on chemotherapy and it now it effects self esteem/body image.

So she doesn't have cancer but she fears getting cancer? While many people will get cancer, there is also a chance they will have COVID, a car accident, heart attack, choke on a chicken bone, fall off a cliff, die in a plane crash or any number of other ways getting sick or dying.

Death should not be something to fear. It sounds like your friend is "young" and is more worried about how she will look to other people (body/appearance anxiety) > physical suffering from cancer. Tell her to enjoy life and stop worrying about things out of her control. Yes reducing alcohol is supposed to reduce getting cancer so she can control that.

Hopefully for my friends sake there will be an alternative to chemotherapy.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Do you think it’s true though? I think the problem with a liver a transplant is that you have to be put on medication to keep it going

I don't know how true it is, of liver transplants causing hair loss? I haven't really read into liver transplants or the possible side effects.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:26 pm

OK. Sorry. I'm an Aspie...

It looks to me like this Mayo Clinic article says the hair loss due to chemo would be temporary.

Unfortunately, this article notes that hair loss due to radiation treatments, under some circumstances, might be permanent.

Yeah, I know, this doesn't solve the issue.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:27 pm

Jamesy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Has she got cancer

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:30 pm

There can be hair loss that is permanent, temporary, or there can be changes in hair thickness and texture - people with straight hair can have curly hair when it comes back (or vice versa).

Last edited by DanielW on 27 Mar 2024, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:39 pm

babybird wrote:
You get to a certain age and you suddenly start thinking that every single little twinge is cancer.

I think people worry far too much about death and they forget to live

Actually twinges of pain are common once you get to a certain age.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:47 pm

babybird wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Has she got cancer

No. But like I said hopefully one day there will be alternative treatments to chemoptherapy

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 4:48 pm

Steve Jobs had both cancer and a liver transplant and he had hair loss didn’t he.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Mar 2024, 5:00 pm

This post reminds me of a question my first girlfriend asked me a few times. "Would you still love me if I lost my hair?" :tired: I'm assuming Emily meant if she lost her hair from cancer. & my answer was Yes of coarse.

Anyways getting to the girl this post is about... I think there is no need for her parents or anyone to try debating her about this right now. She has not been diagnosed with cancer nor is currently suspected of having cancer. I'm betting that her parents response is causing her to feel more anxious & quite possibly frustrated. I woulda told her there's no point dwelling on these kinda What If scenarios till something actually happens then it would be her choice about what to do. If she later gets diagnosed with cancer then that would be the time for this debate, not before.

A side-note. I'm in the process of trying to get an old-skewl immunosuppressant for chronic allergies & skin eczema & one of the possible options I'm ruling out is Methotrexate which is sometimes used for chemotherapy. I'm ruling it out for now because hair loss is a common side-effect. However folate supplements are often prescribed with it to help minimize certain side-effects including hair loss.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:27 pm

I checked with my bride and got permission to report: My bride had cancer. (Shortly after we married.) Chemo made her bald for awhile. But her hair grew back...wavier. And it's still wavier. She thinks it was an improvement.

I'm relying on her testimony on this. I noticed her being bald but I was oblivious to the change in waviness. Just as I've been mostly oblivious whenever she changed her hair color...I've gotten in a lot of trouble for that. :silent:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 9:04 pm

Her parents could be a little more sensitive about her concerns. Nobody wants to lose their hair due to cancer if they see their hair as the most important part of their identity. If she does lose her hair, she could always use Nutrifol to get her hair back.