Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 2:12 pm

I went through a whole phase of eating them with everything

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:21 pm

I read that there's a children's book called A Bad Case of Stripes. It's about a girl who loves Lima beans but doesn't eat them because other kids at school don't like them and she wants to fit in, and then one day she wakes up with thick horizontal stripes of bright colors all over her body. And then all these different remedies are tried on her but they just do all kinds of weird and freaky things to her body. But then finally she tries Lima beans, which an old woman claims is the cure, and she returns to normal and decides not to care if anyone thinks she's weird for eating and enjoying Lima beans.

So I guess you should be yourself and not care about liking something other people think is weird, or you'll wake up all stripey or something. But bullies are horrible and can treat you like garbage for things that really aren't that weird, such as liking Garfield comics. Or physically assault you for wearing a Super Mario T-Shirt. :(

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:26 pm

I don't like any beans. I find the texture of beans utterly offensive. I hate butter beans. But no more than any other type of bean. Bean.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 5:40 pm

I never liked 'em as a kid, but in hindsight I wonder if only experiencing them frozen meant the texture was already sub-optimal by the time they reached my fork.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2024, 5:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I read that there's a children's book called A Bad Case of Stripes. It's about a girl who loves Lima beans but doesn't eat them because other kids at school don't like them and she wants to fit in, and then one day she wakes up with thick horizontal stripes of bright colors all over her body. And then all these different remedies are tried on her but they just do all kinds of weird and freaky things to her body. But then finally she tries Lima beans, which an old woman claims is the cure, and she returns to normal and decides not to care if anyone thinks she's weird for eating and enjoying Lima beans.

So I guess you should be yourself and not care about liking something other people think is weird, or you'll wake up all stripey or something. But bullies are horrible and can treat you like garbage for things that really aren't that weird, such as liking Garfield comics. Or physically assault you for wearing a Super Mario T-Shirt. :(
That sounds vaguely familiar to me. My mom may of possibly read it to me or I heard it somewhere else :? I guess the moral is that if you try to fit in you may end up standing out a lot more :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 3:02 pm

For years I've heard Sylvester the Cat's famous catchphrase "Sufferin' succotash", but for years I didn't know what succotash actually was. It's basically a dish of Lima beans and corn kernels mixed together. Sometimes kidney beans are used instead of Lima beans, and other ingredients are added. The dish was popular during the Great Depression and WWII because the ingredients were cheap and has a lot of nutritional value.

Tbh, I'd rather eat it with kidney beans than Lima beans. Also I like chili con carne, which has kidney beans and sometimes corn in it. :chef:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 5:34 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Never tried them in guacamole.

I've never been to Guacamole so I haven't done that either.

I've nothing against butter beans. I used them once or twice in some recipe or other, can't remember the details. They seemed a tad bland but they were edible. Somebody I was with at the time wasn't impressed by my results, but they didn't express outright hatred of them. I've never met a really vocal antibutterbeanist.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 7:38 pm

Everyone loves succotash (corn and lima beans).