30 Mar 2024, 12:38 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Politics is my addiction of choice. :oops:

Same. :lol:

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 12:41 am

Who knows? Maybe I'm secretly a repressed megalomaniac who craves power myself? :king:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:20 am

I've noticed lately that people say "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it", instead of the original saying that goes "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it". It must be because humans are so hard wired to be violent and destructive, burning a bridge sounds a lot better than just crossing it.

Me, I'm thinking of saying "I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it". Because humans are so horrible I can't stand them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 1:25 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I've noticed lately that people say "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it", instead of the original saying that goes "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it". It must be because humans are so hard wired to be violent and destructive, burning a bridge sounds a lot better than just crossing it.

I'll burn that bridge when I get to it parodies I'll cross that bridge when I get to it by referencing another popular idiom, leaving a different implication. The original form implies one will invest effort on solving a problem only once it's encountered, the parody implies that reaching the problem will force one onto a path they can't turn back from because their solution will either involve cutting ties or inevitably result in alienating people they were once close to.

https://englishexplorations.check.uni-h ... get-to-it/

They're intended to mean different things, not for the one to just be a more violent version of the established idiom.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Me, I'm thinking of saying "I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it". Because humans are so horrible I can't stand them.

Anybody remember the train on the bridge scence from the 1986 movie 'Stand By Me?'

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 6:08 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Anybody remember the train on the bridge scence from the 1986 movie 'Stand By Me?'

What bridge-crossing saying(s) might apply to the train on the bridge in the movie 'Stand By Me?'