Why is it that people with autism may be forgetful?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2024, 10:59 pm

Like, when it comes to things like doing chores, but great at remembering facts about their special interests?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 11:00 pm

Chores aren't nearly as important as knowing <insert random trivia here>.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 11:03 pm

I don't know why, but it's the right thing to do. Housework, which is repetitive and simple, should be left to AI and robots.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 11:06 pm

Chores aren't always as exciting as special interests are.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 12:57 am

Chores are unfun usually.

Worth considering that AS folks also often have things like ADD, anxiety, depression, and executive dysfunction which could make it harder to motivate oneself to pull away from the hyper fixation so you can do bland necessary things.

At least in my experience. God I need to fold laundry....

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 3:31 pm

Yes I think that people generally have trouble remembering things that bore them, and chores usually pale into insignificance compared to special interests. In my case, if I neglect chores too much then I get scared about descending into squalour, and fear is a strong motivator, so although I often leave chores to the last possible minute, they do eventually get done. At least the most important ones do, but non-urgent chores don't stand a chance. I've often said that my life is like a raft - it never sinks but my feet are always wet.

So NTs, who apparently don't have the burning passion of special interests, don't have quite so much of a problem, though they too have some difficulty with doing all their chores promptly.

ASD also has memory problems of its own. I don't quite know how that expresses itself, but it's typical that we have poor short-term or "working" memory, which could impact on getting chores done.

There's also perfectionism in ASD. For decades I used to fail horribly at tidying up my home because I kept trying to do it perfectly, which was of course impossible, so I got a lot of frustration from it and I found myself unable to continue. These days I try hard to stay mindful of the fact that it doesn't need to be perfect, and I get better results. If my home doesn't get any less tidy, that's a win. If it gets a little bit tidier, that's another win. It just doesn't work to try building Rome in a day.

Paradoxically though, I sometimes make progress by allowing myself to turn a small chore into a mini-special interest - I'll pick a fairly small task and then analyse it very carefully and go for a really good result. It's overkill of course, but at least I find it interesting that way, and I tend to be proud of the result, so I'm more likely to feel like doing it again when it needs re-doing. As it's only a small task in the first place, it doesn't take forever to analyse. And I tend to make it part of the interesting challenge to design the procedure in such a way as to make it take the minimum of time and bother, which again helps motivate me to perform the procedure in the future.

There's also executive dysfunction in ASD. I don't understand that very well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it played a part in forgetting chores. I suppose we've got the start-stop problem going on, for one thing. Once I'm engaged in a thing, it's hard for me to tear away from it, even if it's wearing me out and causing me to neglect other tasks. And I guess many of us have trouble seeing the big picture or overview. In a sense I rarely know what I'm doing because I'm often zoomed in on tiny details, and can't easily keep zooming out to see the context of what I'm doing. So I don't have much of a grip on the overall plan, if I even have an overall plan at all.

Aspies are also said to often have an "out of sight, out of mind" thing going on. Chores are sometimes out of sight. So I bake a loaf and leave it to cool in the kitchen. Next thing I know, it's bedtime, I take my cup into the kitchen and see the loaf, which needs slicing and bagging up before I go to bed. What a surprise! I'd planned to do that an hour or two ago. I guess that kind of thing is one reason I always get to bed later than I'd planned to.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 1:51 pm

Why? I think because it is a likely characteristic of being on the Autism Spectrum.

And I agree with how the others have described it. My phrasing when explaining it to a doctor was:

\o/"My memory only works for things that interest me, and I don't get to choose what interests me."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 6:53 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Aspies are also said to often have an "out of sight, out of mind" thing going on. Chores are sometimes out of sight. So I bake a loaf and leave it to cool in the kitchen. Next thing I know, it's bedtime, I take my cup into the kitchen and see the loaf, which needs slicing and bagging up before I go to bed. What a surprise! I'd planned to do that an hour or two ago. I guess that kind of thing is one reason I always get to bed later than I'd planned to.
Yes. The number of times I've had this conversation...

"Did you forget that I told you to do this thing?"
"I didn't forget, I remember the conversation in which you told me to do it perfectly"
"Then why didn't you do it?"
"Because I wasn't remembering it at the time I was supposed to do it but I can remember you telling me to do it now"