Women online say they were punched while walking in NYC

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:23 pm

NBC News

Quote:
Several women have come forward on social media sharing incidents in which they said they were punched by men while they were walking the streets of downtown Manhattan in broad daylight in the last month.

Multiple videos — which were uploaded to TikTok — have picked up traction in the last week, with women online sharing their safety concerns in comments and reply videos. One woman said she was assaulted walking home from class. Another said she was assaulted on her way to work. A third woman said she was attacked walking her dog. At least two of the women described suspects with similar characteristics.

New York police said they made an arrest in one of the incidents and are investigating another. While police wouldn’t confirm that the incidents described in the TikTok videos are those they are investigating, they shared that they’re looking into two cases that are very similar to accounts posted on social media.

Officials said it’s unclear whether the two incidents they are investigating are connected.

The videos have circulated amid widespread perceptions in the U.S. that crime is rising, despite recent FBI data that suggests it decreased last year.

Concerns over public safety have continued to loom in New York City. A series of recent high-profile crimes in the subway system prompted Gov. Kathy Hochul to send National Guard members to some of the busiest stations.

In February, police reported a decrease in shootings, murders and other crimes, like grand larceny, as opposed to February of last year. However, there was a 3.6% uptick in felony assault, with 1,968 incidents reported to police last month. According to crime statistics for this past week, misdemeanor assault is up 10.3% from this time last year, and it has gone up 15.7% in the past two years.

Sarah Harvard, 30, was among the women who shared her experience online after she saw other women post videos.

Harvard, who posted Tuesday on X, said she was walking to her comedy gig on the Lower East Side when she was punched in the back of the head near the Delancey Street and Essex Street station the evening of March 19.

“I was not on my phone. I was walking somewhere, and I got attacked from behind,” she told NBC News. “So it’s really violating that I didn’t see it coming and there was nothing I could’ve done, really, to prevent it from happening.”

She described experiencing a “spiky pain, throbbing feeling” in her head as she was walking home after the incident. The rest of the night, she said, she had nausea, headaches, dizziness and blurry vision.

Harvard said she initially didn’t go to the police because she thought that it was an isolated incident and that officials might brush it off. Since she learned that more women have come forward online to say they’ve been assaulted, she said, she plans to file a police report.

Since the attack, Harvard said, she is struggling with feeling unsafe in the city she calls home.

“What’s really unbearable is that general never-ending feeling now of feeling unsafe and feeling constantly alert, constantly looking over my shoulder,” she said. “This anxiety is manifesting physically, too. I slept last night for two hours; the night before, I slept for four hours. I’m having trouble breathing, and my chest is getting really tight.”

In their TikTok videos, women have echoed similar sentiments describing their interactions with their alleged assailants.

A woman said she was walking Monday when a man punched her in the face, causing a big lump to develop on her head.

“You guys, I was literally just walking and a man came up and punched me in the face,” she said tearfully in a TikTok video. “Oh, my God, it hurts so bad. I can’t even talk.”

Police said an incident happened at 10:20 a.m. in the area of West 16th Street and 7th Avenue when “an unknown individual hit her in the head.”

“The victim fell to the ground and suffered injuries to the left side of her face. The victim was treated at a local medical facility,” police said in a report shared with NBC News.

She shared an update to TikTok in which she said she was looking at her phone when a man walking a dog assaulted her.

“There was so much room on the sidewalk, and, like, literally nobody was around, and I guess this man — I don’t know if he punched me or if he elbowed me. I literally passed out,” she said. “So I don’t really remember, but I think he just was really mad that my head was down.”

Skiboky Stora, 40, of Brooklyn, was arrested Wednesday on an assault charge in connection with the incident, police said.

Stora has sought public office in New York since 2021, public records show. He participated in a New York City mayoral debate in 2021. In 2022, he filed a handwritten petition to get on the ballot for New York governor. Last year, records show, Stora ran for the District 9 seat on the New York City Council.

Over a week before the Monday assault, in an area just over a mile south from where that victim was, another woman reported getting punched by a man who apologized before he hit her.

“I literally just got punched by some man on the sidewalk,” the woman said in a TikTok video. “He goes ‘Sorry’ and then punches me in the head.”

Police say an incident happened at around 11:48 a.m. March 17 while a woman was walking her dog in the area of Kenmare and Mulberry streets.

“No injuries were reported as a result of this incident,” police said in a report.

In an update posted to her TikTok account, the woman addressed questions she received about what she was doing leading up to the assault.

“I wasn’t looking down at my phone,” she said. “I was just literally across the street from my building walking my dog to the dog park. I had seen the man. He was, like, slightly walking toward me, and I didn’t think anything of it. And then he says, ‘Sorry,’ and hits me and was immediately gone.”

She said a woman who witnessed the assault came over to help her.

Neither of the women who posted on TikTok responded to requests for comment. Several others who also posted videos didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Many women online have since expressed that seeing the videos of other women sharing their alleged experiences have left them feeling uneasy.

“I have never felt so unsafe in the city than I do now,” reality TV personality Melinda Melrose, who was on the show “Too Hot to Handle,” said in a TikTok video. “This is another reason why I packed all my things out of my apartment, put them in storage and I’m moving. I do not got time to end up on the news and become someone’s victim.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:44 pm

Doesn't this type of thing happen all the time in NY? guy is probably mentally ill...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Doesn't this type of thing happen all the time in NY? guy is probably mentally ill...

Did you read the article? It appears that this didn’t involve just one mentally ill guy.

Also:
Quote:
In February, police reported a decrease in shootings, murders and other crimes, like grand larceny, as opposed to February of last year. However, there was a 3.6% uptick in felony assault, with 1,968 incidents reported to police last month. According to crime statistics for this past week, misdemeanor assault is up 10.3% from this time last year, and it has gone up 15.7% in the past two years.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:53 pm

^^^ I was referring to this
they shared that they’re looking into two cases that are very similar to accounts posted on social media.

Officials said it’s unclear whether the two incidents they are investigating are connected.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:54 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Also:
Quote:

This wasnt in the article

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
they shared that they’re looking into two cases that are very similar to accounts posted on social media.

“Multiple videos — which were uploaded to TikTok — have picked up traction in the last week, with women online sharing their safety concerns in comments and reply videos. One woman said she was assaulted walking home from class. Another said she was assaulted on her way to work. A third woman said she was attacked walking her dog. At least two of the women described suspects with similar characteristics.”

“New York police said they made an arrest in one of the incidents and are investigating another.”

It seems like this involves more than three women:
“Neither of the women who posted on TikTok responded to requests for comment. Several others who also posted videos didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.”

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 27 Mar 2024, 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 6:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Also:
Quote:

It is. It’s about a quarter of the way down.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

“Multiple videos — which were uploaded to TikTok — have picked up traction in the last week, with women online sharing their safety concerns in comments and reply videos. One woman said she was assaulted walking home from class. Another said she was assaulted on her way to work. A third woman said she was attacked walking her dog. At least two of the women described suspects with similar characteristics.”

“New York police said they made an arrest in one of the incidents and are investigating another.”

Ok, it wasn't crystal clear from the article that the police were certain > 1 suspect. It might be there is more than one mentally ill individual involved (I mean what normal person walks around hitting women on the head).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Also:
Quote:

What do you think is responsible for 15.7% rise over last 2 years?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:14 pm

I don’t think we should assume that the person(s) are “just” mentally ill. I could see people who adhere to Incel ideology being resentful and even, in some cases, violent towards women. Mental illness wouldn’t lessen the trauma either.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:17 pm

So we are either
a. dealing with a mentally ill male/males
b. extreme mysoginist or
c. incel with a grudge

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
So we are either
a. dealing with a mentally ill male/males
b. extreme mysoginist or
c. incel with a grudge

We don’t have enough information to come to any conclusion, but these seem like the most likely possibilities IMO.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Also:
Quote:

What do you think is responsible for 15.7% rise over last 2 years?

A complex interplay of various issues - on both a national and local scale.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 11:27 pm

I hope its not an incel. They already get bad press which makes the rest of us look bad.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 11:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I hope its not an incel. They already get bad press which makes the rest of us look bad.

What about bad press when it comes to the mentally ill? Many members of WP have mental illnesses.

As with most people, Incels deserve bad press and jail time when they commit violent crimes. Maybe the bad press will discourage others.

I’m not concerned about autistics looking bad. I don’t think most people associate autistics with Incels even if autistics are statistically more likely to be Incels. I just want whoever’s responsible to stop hurting people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 12:42 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What about bad press when it comes to the mentally ill? Many members of WP have mental illnesses.

As with most, Incels deserve bad press and jail time when they commit violent crimes. Maybe the bad press will discourage others.

I’m not concerned about autistics looking bad. I don’t think most people associate autistics with Incels even if autistics are statistically more likely to be Incels. I just want whoever’s responsible to stop hurting people.

Agree. With regard to incels, a lot of young men treat women decently and don't demand or expect sex. I feel some of those who can't handle getting no luck and become aggressive need to be identified early. They need early intervention before they become school shooters.