Babylon Bee Jokes About Inbred Racists, Fans Meltdown

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 7:16 am

I suspect that I may have heard it in a negative way around the time of the Ferguson protests from far-Right conservatives who thought concerns about race were pushed too far/were unwarranted.

Quote:
The term woke gained further popularity in the 2010s. Over time, it became increasingly connected to matters beyond race such as gender and identities perceived as marginalized. During the 2014 Ferguson protests, the phrase was popularized by Black Lives Matter (BLM) activists seeking to raise awareness about police shootings of African Americans. After the term was used on Black Twitter, woke was increasingly used by white people, who often used it to signal their support for BLM; some commentators criticized this usage as cultural appropriation. The term became popular with millennials and members of Generation Z. As its use spread internationally, woke was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke#Canada

Quote:
A Pew Research poll conducted August 14–17 among 1,000 adults, found stark racial and political divisions in reactions to the shooting. By about four-to-one, African Americans (80% to 18%) said the shooting raised important issues about race, while whites, by 47% to 37%, said the issue of race is getting more attention than it deserves. The divide in public opinion was also observed across partisan lines, with 68% of Democrats (including 62% of white Democrats) believing the incident raises important issues about race that merit discussion, compared with 40% of Independents and 22% of Republicans. Republicans were also more likely than Democrats to view the police response as appropriate (43%), compared with 21% of Democrats; 65% of Republicans expressed confidence in the investigations into the incident, compared with 38% of Democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_unrest

Starting around 2010, my dad and I used to argue about politics and PC in a similar way that we would now if I let him bait me, but the term “woke” wasn’t used even though that’s what it was mostly about. His primary news outlet was Fox News. The term “woke” is certainly much more commonplace now than PC. In recent years, I’ve most often heard it in connection to gender identity stuff although racial issues is still a biggie.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 10:37 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I suspect that I may have heard it in a negative way around the time of the Ferguson protests from far-Right conservatives who thought concerns about race were pushed too far/were unwarranted.
Quote:
The term woke gained further popularity in the 2010s. Over time, it became increasingly connected to matters beyond race such as gender and identities perceived as marginalized. During the 2014 Ferguson protests, the phrase was popularized by Black Lives Matter (BLM) activists seeking to raise awareness about police shootings of African Americans. After the term was used on Black Twitter, woke was increasingly used by white people, who often used it to signal their support for BLM; some commentators criticized this usage as cultural appropriation. The term became popular with millennials and members of Generation Z. As its use spread internationally, woke was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke#Canada

Quote:
A Pew Research poll conducted August 14–17 among 1,000 adults, found stark racial and political divisions in reactions to the shooting. By about four-to-one, African Americans (80% to 18%) said the shooting raised important issues about race, while whites, by 47% to 37%, said the issue of race is getting more attention than it deserves. The divide in public opinion was also observed across partisan lines, with 68% of Democrats (including 62% of white Democrats) believing the incident raises important issues about race that merit discussion, compared with 40% of Independents and 22% of Republicans. Republicans were also more likely than Democrats to view the police response as appropriate (43%), compared with 21% of Democrats; 65% of Republicans expressed confidence in the investigations into the incident, compared with 38% of Democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_unrest

Starting around 2010, my dad and I used to argue about politics and PC in a similar way that we would now if I let him bait me, but the term “woke” wasn’t used even though that’s what it was mostly about. His primary news outlet was Fox News. The term “woke” is certainly much more commonplace now than PC. In recent years, I’ve most often heard it in connection to gender identity stuff although racial issues is still a biggie.

Political Correctness as a slur started in the late ‘80s early ‘90s period. It was limited to word usage. Specifically trying not be offensive to a ridiculous degree. By the 2010s the term was played out and dated. During the 2014-2018 period or so while the woke slur was coming into the mainstream, Social Justice Warrior/SJW was the more common slur. While it connected to the “ideology” that is associated with woke it was also about snowflake/fragile people who espoused that ideology and were willing to enforce “cancel culture” and “safe spaces”. You are correct in the last few years it has become somewhat more about gender identity. The post 10/7 mainstream liberal Jewish anti wokeness centers on oppressed/oppressed group identity. That has always been a major criticism of that world view.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 11:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The point is NOT that folks here on WP stereotype all conservatives as racists.

Its that in this moment the Babylon Bee unwittingly baited conservatives into demonstrating that they are all racists.

If not that they're all racists, that they at least sympathize enough with explicit racists to be offended on their behalf.

Which of course begs the question if you're not racist but deeply offended on behalf of racists, how does that person distinguish themselves from racists... unless it's just that their ego is too delicate to tolerate being called a spade despite being one.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 11:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Its that in this moment the Babylon Bee unwittingly baited conservatives into demonstrating that they are all racists.

If not that they're all racists, that they at least sympathize enough with explicit racists to be offended on their behalf.

Which of course begs the question if you're not racist but deeply offended on behalf of racists, how does that person distinguish themselves from racists... unless it's just that their ego is too delicate to tolerate being called a spade despite being one.

That's actually a very good point...

Dayum... I have a lot of self-reflection to do right now. :oops:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2024, 11:41 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That's actually a very good point...

Dayum... I have a lot of self-reflection to do right now. :oops:

I think I get it to an extent; I'm also willing to argue that being deeply racist doesn't make a person terrible across the board, but having redeeming qualities doesn't make a person worst traits above criticism or being called out.
At most it makes them less bad, or not bad within limited contexts.

With people, even sh***y people, you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but that doesn't mean you can't comment on said bathwater or advocate for refilling the tub. People often act like condemning the bathwater is the same as throwing the baby out (so to speak).

There's very few people I believe are absolutely irredeemable, but often egos get in the way of that process. A person or society can't start to try to do better until they at least admit they can do better. Often ego seems to be a factor in denying that better is even an option because admitting better is an option is admitting to not doing so well so far. People don't like to have to concede moral failings.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う