Doesn't Anybody F**k Any More? — Reddit edition

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 9:39 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/GenZ/comments/1brlkbi/is_the_lack_of_sex_that_gen_z_is_having_actually/

An excerpt:

Quote:
Utapau301

21h ago

Edited 21h ago
I'm a college professor. I have noticed that students don't seem to "flirt" with each other, or "date" as much. I noticed it a bit in the 2017-19 period but it's very noticeable post Covid. I used to see more flirtation and couples formation going on in class. Now it's a lot less.

Increasingly, when I direct students to make groups of their own, they'll self-segregate themselves into all male and all female groups.
Just a couple weeks ago I did that, and this one very attractive young woman was the loner left without a group. She looked distressed and dejected about it. I had to place her in a group.

Bizarre! When I was a student I jumped at any chance to be in a group with one of the cute girls.

Upvote

Downvote

u/Popular_Surprise2545 avatar
Popular_Surprise2545

21h ago
I notice this in social settings too. Women and men just tend to separate and talk exclusively with each other in groups. Not sure if it's always been this way.

Upvote

Downvote

Utapau301

20h ago
When I was young, there was some of that dynamic but it seems more common & intense now.

In addition to self segregating, when they are in co-ed groups they seem more uncomfortable than they used to be. To such an extent, I'll see young attractive students just... leave each other alone. Whereas before about 2017 if there were guys and girls put together I'd see the guys flirt with the girls.

Upvote

Downvote

Popular_Surprise2545

20h ago
I think the thought process might be that people think flirting with women would ruin a friendship or acquaintanceship and that it's not worth it for the 1/10 or 1/20 chance you get a relationship, but that's just speaking from personal experience.

Upvote

Downvote

More replies
anoos2117

17h ago
Think this might also be caused by the difference between what used to be considered safe flirting. This gen is so sensitive that it seems like a lot of them get socially offended or insta call out anything deemed inappropriate even if it's really not a big thing. It's kinda insane to me. I was at a college bar recently, saw a younger guy publicly humiliated for hitting on a girl and telling her he found her attractive in honestly not a bad way. Instead of being let down ez the person complained to bar staff and had him kicked out of bar for being inappropriate. I saw the whole interaction, it was so tame it was boring to someone like myself who grew up in early 90s. It's f*****g sad tbh.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 9:47 am

As far as the last comment, I’m a bit wary when it comes to stories like this, especially ones that are shared on social media platforms like Reddit. (I’m also wary of alleged professors.) I would be interested to hear the woman’s side of things in the interaction. Sometimes inappropriate behavior is not so obvious to someone else. Maybe the observer missed something unless his eyes were glued on the people involved during the entire interaction which would be weird.

Another reason why I’m skeptical: sometimes people think something isn’t that bad when it is to others.

The rest seems like anecdotal evidence although there’s nothing necessarily wrong with it if it’s true. People are under no obligation to flirt or f**k. :lol:

j_k
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2024, 9:58 am

If that is this professor's "experiment" there's a lot of missing information. The first being, the 30 students in his college class may (probably?) have partners outside of the class, and are not interested in flirting. Maybe they stick with their own genders because they find it less distracting, and classes can be stressful enough, and this is what works for them. Does he have evidence the students perform better or worse if they are in mixed groups or not? Shouldn't their success in class come first? What exactly is this professor prioritizing, and why does he feel these two or three dozen young adults who spend a few hours a week in the same room need to be flirting with each other? This is a strange observation to me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 9:59 am

^ It seems strange coming from a professor who should know better. The sample size is too small to come to any conclusion.

j_k

31 Mar 2024, 10:03 am

I would add, a lot of flirting happens over the phone....

Damn kids these days (joking)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 10:07 am

Yeah, I mean it's all anecdotal isn't it? I see articles occasionally on how young people are having less sex. In some publications there's always a push to blame this on culture war issues - i.e. young people being too sensitive, offending each other, not sure what sex anyone is etc. I tend not to trust that because it's always the people who think this is a bad thing pushing the idea, I never hear anyone from the so-called sensitive, easily-offended side talking about it. It doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

I do think something has happened in popular culture regarding sex. When I see sex on TV or movies, it tends to fall into one of two categories. It's either the culmination of a long, troublesome courtship - a lifechanging event in other words, a literal and figurative climax, or it's a sex crime (another life-changing event).

I see very little in the way of casual sex portrayed. There are probably good reasons for this, safe sex being one. Also, in terms of narrative building, casual sex isn't very useful.

That's still anecdotal, but I do feel that the idea of sex being fun, frivolous, unthreatening is something we used to have but it's become something heavier, for better or worse.

MaxE wrote:
Popular_Surprise2545

21h ago
I notice this in social settings too. Women and men just tend to separate and talk exclusively with each other in groups. Not sure if it's always been this way.

See, I've been noticing for years groups of mixed youths interacting in a way I don't think people did when I was younger. I see groups of mixed youngsters hanging out whenever I go anywhere and it stands out to me because I remember friendship groups being much more segregated when I was younger. Young guys and girls seem much more comfortable together as friends than I remember.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 10:13 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Yeah, I mean it's all anecdotal isn't it? I see articles occasionally on how young people are having less sex. In some publications there's always a push to blame this on culture war issues - i.e. young people being too sensitive, offending each other, not sure what sex anyone is etc. I tend not to trust that because it's always the people who think this is a bad thing pushing the idea, I never hear anyone from the so-called sensitive, easily-offended side talking about it. It doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

I do think something has happened in popular culture regarding sex. When I see sex on TV or movies, it tends to fall into one of two categories. It's either the culmination of a long, troublesome courtship - a lifechanging event in other words, a literal and figurative climax, or it's a sex crime (another life-changing event).

I see very little in the way of casual sex portrayed. There are probably good reasons for this, safe sex being one. Also, in terms of narrative building, casual sex isn't very useful.

That's still anecdotal, but I do feel that the idea of sex being fun, frivolous, unthreatening is something we used to have but it's become something heavier, for better or worse.
I feel like while sex was fun and frivolous for some there were always those who it wasn’t fun for - those who were abused, got an STD, got pregnant, regretted it for whatever reason, or just didn’t have an enjoyable time because their partner was selfish. There are lots of possibilities. There was always a sizable conservative population who was against it for religious reasons too. Sometimes people look on the past with nostalgia without realizing that their experience was by no means universal.

Quote:
See, I've been noticing for years groups of mixed youths interacting in a way I don't think people did when I was younger. I see groups of mixed youngsters hanging out whenever I go anywhere and it stands out to me because I remember friendship groups being much more segregated when I was younger. Young guys and girls seem much more comfortable together as friends than I remember.
Yeah, that’s how it appears to me too. When I was young, people seemed to mostly have same-sex friendships, but I see a lot more mixed groups these days. That’s, admittedly, just my own personal observation though.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:00 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I feel like while sex was fun and frivolous for some there were always those who it wasn’t fun for - those who were abused, got an STD, got pregnant, regretted it for whatever reason, or just didn’t have an enjoyable time because their partner was selfish. There are lots of possibilities. There was always a sizable conservative population who was against it for religious reasons too. Sometimes people look on the past with nostalgia without realizing that their experience was by no means universal

Yes, i get that absolutely. And when you watch some old films and TV and stuff it can be quite unconformfortable the attitudes and lack of consideration. I absolutely think there needed to be some correction to the way sex used to be portrayed. That said I do believe culture changes like a pendulum and it seems to be necessary to overcorrect initially and then backswing a little to get to a healthy balanced place and I do feel we're still in the overcorrection phase. Of course you're right that many, many people had awful experiences and we should be sensitive to that but many, many did just have fun and that ought not be forgotten either else we risk limiting human experiences out of fear.

I also wonder, and this might be too big a thought for a thread like this, how the psychology of presenting sex as something dangerous increases its potential to hurt us when it goes wrong. This is hard to talk about without venturing worryingly close to victim blaming, which isn't at all my intention. What I mean is, the more important something is to me, the more it hurts when someone violates that. We give sex a lot of power in popular culture and i wonder how wise that is.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:21 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I also wonder, and this might be too big a thought for a thread like this, how the psychology of presenting sex as something dangerous increases its potential to hurt us when it goes wrong. This is hard to talk about without venturing worryingly close to victim blaming, which isn't at all my intention. What I mean is, the more important something is to me, the more it hurts when someone violates that. We give sex a lot of power in popular culture and i wonder how wise that is.

I don’t know…

I used to tell myself that it wasn’t a big deal, that I was overreacting or being too sensitive - a wimp - when I was upset. “Why would or should it matter that much?” But it absolutely WAS a big deal as time has demonstrated.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:41 am

^I want to be completely clear that I'm not in any way saying that what anybody has gone through was not a big deal or that they shouldn't feel exactly how they feel about it.

All I'm saying is that if culture teaches us that sex is only ever life-changingly good, or life-changingly bad, what are we supposed to do with the experiences that are neither? How should we parse those experiences? Without representation of the meaningless/casual experiences is there a danger that we see them through the lens of the extremes? (In either direction)

Again, not saying that the extremes don't exist, just that we might be missing something if we make them the baseline.

Bear in mind that anything life changing can be scary, good as well as bad, and that might be contributing to a recent cultural lack of enthusiasm for experimenting (if indeed that is real).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:56 am

Well I agree with the professor anyway

j_k

31 Mar 2024, 11:57 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

I don’t know…

I used to tell myself that it wasn’t a big deal, that I was overreacting or being too sensitive - a wimp - when I was upset. “Why would or should it matter that much?” But it absolutely WAS a big deal as time has demonstrated.

As much as attention is focused on sex, trust is important. It took me a while to realize in my teens and twenties, a lot of people around me were sharing things about their partners they should not have shared. It hurts the other person. And it was as if in their heads, having sex showed a maturity, and how they were actually treating others was not as important as the stories they just had to share.

The professor's observations may overlook, that we don't trust each other as much as before. And also, with how fast rumors and private information be put out on social media, I don't blame people's reluctance to get involved with certain others. You can also even get embarrassed in person (in your class) or online for bad flirting.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 12:11 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

I don’t know…

I don't think you or anyone else is overreacting, but I do think it's fair to suggest that cultural norms are a factor.

In a society with radically different norms towards sex, odds are what's traumatizing about those sorts of experiences would be different because of how different their views towards sex are.

If sexual intimacy was within the range of normal expressions of physical affection and no one cared about partner counts, that would change some of the stigma.

If the above was true and social norms also meant a portion of those experiences were undesired but the general consensus was that those undesired experiences were common, normal and not a big deal, odds are most members of that society wouldn't carry significant trauma because their experiences would be normal and relatable, rather than something they feel the need to conceal.

Note that I'm not advocating for society becoming more like that, only that people from such a society would struggle to get why something they consider normal to be such a big deal, and likewise we'd struggle to grasp how they just shrug off interactions we'd insist are criminal.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 12:21 pm

Cultural norms didn’t play much of a role in terms of my own experience or perception which is part of the reason why I might be a bit skeptical. I didn’t know that some of my experiences were criminal or abnormal at the time. I homeschooled, was highly sheltered, and had no sex education. Of course, sex was viewed as something private, so I didn’t share what I was going through either. When I learned that I had a right to feel the way I did, it was…liberating. When I thought it was normal, I tended to blame myself more and in different ways - for my feelings and even for the experiences.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 12:28 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Cultural norms didn’t play much of a role in terms of my own experience which is part of the reason why I might be a bit skeptical. I didn’t know that some of my experiences were criminal or abnormal at the time. I homeschooled, was highly sheltered, and had no sex education. Of course, sex was viewed as something private, so I didn’t share what I was going through either. When I learned that I had a right to feel the way I did, it was…liberating. When I thought it was normal, I tended to blame myself more and in different ways - for my feelings and even for the experiences.

The view that sex is something private is an example of what I mean by a cultural norm.

That said, in the scenario I'm describing I would assume abusive encounters would still register as abusive. I assume violent, degrading or other intentionally cruel behaviour would still be perceived as abusive.

The A would still matter, even if the S is deemphasized.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 12:54 pm

Not every episode of nonconsent was abusive in an overtly violent or intentionally cruel sense. I found them harmful, a big deal, and not something I could just shrug off even though I didn’t know they were abnormal or technically the r word. It is degrading not to have a say in something that concerns your own body, especially in such an intrusive sense.

I think we view sex as a big deal because it can be a big deal in a variety of ways. Of course, I’m not saying that society can’t have a big impact on our perspectives as well. Maybe a bit of both is going on.