Missing out on things on my days off work

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 4:31 pm

I don't know why but when I have days working, I feel better than I sometimes do on my days off. I seem to think other people are doing a lot more exciting and interesting things (parties, music gigs, nice restaurants, going up to London or somewhere abroad for the Easter holidays etc) on their days off work than I do and my days are sometimes just being indoors, trying to preoccupy my mind on hobbies but if I'm stuck and out of ideas, I'm left not knowing what to do. It just feels as though other people have lives where they are not missing out on anything and I'm the only one. I sometimes can't even motivate myself to go out somewhere unless I have an errand to run or an appointment to go to.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 5:24 pm

If you had things you wanted to do, you could go do them. But it seems like you don't actually want to do anything. If you don't want to do it, you're not really missing out. Missing out means not doing something you wanted to do - or not doing something you'd like to try, but haven't yet.

I enjoy racing cars. If car racing happens, and I wanted to race too, but I didn't get to participate, I feel like I missed out. I do not enjoy country music. If a buncha people go to a country music concert, and I don't go, I do not feel like I missed out on anything, since it is not something that interests me, nor do I enjoy it.

It seems like what you actually want are the feelings of fun and happiness that other people seem to experience. If you want that, the first thing you have to do is figure out what makes you happy. Then, go out and do that. If nothing makes you happy, you gotta figure out why that is.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:41 am

Sometimes doing nothing is good but perhaps you could be burnt out from your job. I noticed I spent a lot of time on my occasional days off doing nothing because I was recovering my spoons from a stupid long work week.

I got bored of it and I'm trying to make some changes. This Saturday I went to the local gliding club to enquire about lessons which were cheeper than I thought, by cheap I mean free. Got to a stage where I had to do something other than watching YouTube.

It's safe to say you feel stuck in a rut from your post history and judging from your post history, I think it's unhealthy how isolated you've become and how you don't push yourself enough. Making positive steps that can occupy your time off might be booking your car in for repair without help from your parents or visiting a local attraction you haven't seen on your own accord. Might start leading to other stuff.