Feels like everyone wants to start a business

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 6:58 pm

I seem to think I see a lot of adverts (commercials) about business or how to start on your own business and hearing from other people who have their own business and so on. I remember doing business studies at school but I didn't find it interesting and it didn't aspire me to start one but it just seems like now a lot of people are doing this form of work or job. Instead I just work as a sales assistant at a retail book store and for some reason I can't seem to somehow suppress these ridiculous thoughts that another guy in a nice suit whose probably the same age as me or perhaps younger and whose work I know nothing about, is ''superior'' and I work in a company uniform which I have to wear for my work. I have sometimes watched the UK series of the Apprentice and watch it just to see how they perform on the tasks they given by Alan Sugar while sometimes envying some of them just because someone who is just 20 has already the manager of his or her own business even though I as I said I did business studies and had little interest in it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:46 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think I see a lot of adverts (commercials) about business or how to start on your own business and hearing from other people who have their own business and so on. I remember doing business studies at school but I didn't find it interesting and it didn't aspire me to start one but it just seems like now a lot of people are doing this form of work or job. Instead I just work as a sales assistant at a retail book store and for some reason I can't seem to somehow suppress these ridiculous thoughts that another guy in a nice suit whose probably the same age as me or perhaps younger and whose work I know nothing about, is ''superior'' and I work in a company uniform which I have to wear for my work. I have sometimes watched the UK series of the Apprentice and watch it just to see how they perform on the tasks they given by Alan Sugar while sometimes envying some of them just because someone who is just 20 has already the manager of his or her own business even though I as I said I did business studies and had little interest in it.

Well personally I would work a 9 to 5 and thats why I got degrees but nobody would hire me so I decided to be a businessman with my dad.One good thing you have compared to me is that you only have to work maybe 40 hours a week and I have to think about business every hour of the day.

I would try reading Rich Dad Poor Dad if you really want to start a business.You could also take business courses at your local college or through a program.However before you do anything business related talk to accountants and lawyers.Also so many people are self-employed now because people generally are finding it much harder to find a steady 9 to 5 job with a pension than it was in the 1950's.However being self-employed is generally the path you need to take if you want to be a multi-millionaire someday.The barrier of entry to be a manager of your own business has gotten a lot easier than it was in decades past.Also if you want to be a business owner you need to be willing and able to fail at business multiple times before you have a successful business.The best time to start a business is when you are in your 20's before you get tied down with so many responsibilities.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 3:35 pm

I hate business.
I don't envy a person's business acumen and how smooth they navigate through the system; but I hate how much business itself is embedded in human societies.

I hate the very concept of it.
The very purpose and point of it.
More so how it became tied to living and daily needs.

Like anything else about humanity and their societies, really, even in childhood.

It's not that I hate work and labor itself.
I hate employment, the logistics and the idea of being a boss.
There's a distinction; I hate how business itself because too essential to living in this world.

Kinda like...
I hate professionalism.
I hate performative crap.
I hate managerial, I just hate everything about it.
I hate the obligations and the ideas around it.

Like sex, it's fricking everywhere.
I do not like it.

I do not hate work itself and contributing to the "supplies" side of the logistics.
Yet I really, really hate the demand in any position, and in any expectation of, and how it is exploited.

What, does the world think that everyone can be entrepreneurs? No!
Just like how everyone thinks they can all be performers and entertainers.

Do I envy them? Well -- I can only envy those who made it.
Actually those who made it into early retirement and have all the financial freedom to go about and live the way they want to live.

But the odds of that is slim. I hadn't known anyone who lives that way except certain seniors who got lucky in the 60s.

Yet the working and work itself?? No!..
I don't envy the so called prestige and power of whatever titles, the leadership, competencies, responsibilities...

I only envy those who had earned freedom and the business route happened to be the most popular and well believed keys to freedom. :roll:

I do not believe in this route.
I avoid it like a damn plague. Like how I do not believe that religion makes a person good.

But yeah -- I don't see business owners as superior.
I don't see people whose monthly income is trice my whole household income as superior.

But damn people had to lick their boots for their favor? Nuh uh.

I just see them as people with means and responsibilities.
They can be wholesome and trustworthy or petty and arrogant for all I care.

And if they have a cause and an idea that I might believe in enough, I'd aide them...
But damn, I just hate business, the essentials of money making, the damn hierarchy, and how money is tied to power and all of it...

The idea of being in a damn cog in a damn machine, no matter which part... I just hate it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2024, 11:10 am

Starting a business sounds really appealing, but I don't think everyone is meant to do the sacrifice.

Starting a business means you may be working 9 to 9 instead of a 9 to 5. You'll likely have to give up your social life, dating life, hobbies, entertainment, travelling, etc. just to get the business off the ground. And even then, there's still no guarentee it will work.

Also, you need capital to fund a business. And if you're doing it full-time, you'll need at least several months of savings for rent/necessities in case your business doesn't give you enough money to live on.

It's generally best to do a side-hustle and then only do that full-time once it starts making a living wage (or even more, keeping in mind that maybe you'll have a few good months, but then a few bad months and you'll want savings to live on).

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 5:27 pm

Not everyone has the same ideal job

Not all businesses financially successful

Not everyone is as happy or unhappy as they appear (farce, facade)