Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:44 am

Yesterday my (41 ftm, Chinese) coworker (18 m , Chinese) had the nerve to say "what is that? What the hell?" about a block of tofu I put on the table. While he ate mcnuggets, a milkshake and apple pie.

Been working there three years

He's only been working there a couple of months

He has never interacted with me before

He might not have known it was mine

I didn't answer but we are both Chinese so I don't see why he would be so appalled

What did someone else say about your food?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 9:47 am

It seems that all the bad experiences in your life are work-related. Have you ever considered changing your job?

In addition,chinese?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 2:57 pm

Many years ago, I worked for a warehouse as part of an "Employment program," which was run by toxic people. They lacked training in working with disabled individuals.

One time, I brought a terrible salad to work. The CEO's autistic son, who happened to be there, blurted out "I don't like it." While I happened to play with him, his mother made a snide remark, "He doesn't like your salad."

Then another time I brought some chilled cucumber soup for lunch. The CEO and another co-worker, who I thought was a friend, told me that they didn't like that. Meanwhile, they went behind my back and made fun of the fact that I made cucumber soup.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm

Summer

Maybe it is better that they did not like your lunch. At least two different precious lil "people" at the soup kitchen had the nerve to ask me for macaroni and cheese or cheese soup, but I was just a patron, just like them. And I felt guilty so I gave him some macaroni and cheese. The cheese soup, I ate, but I gave him a piece of candy because I felt bad for him.

A couple of weeks ago, a coworker, had the nerve to say that she "found" oatmeal and she asked a couple of times and she was going to eat it. I put the oatmeal on the table and went to the litterbox and came back. The oatmeal came from the vending machine. The coworker is "in" with a lot of precious lil "people", some of which have termination power. So maybe it is better that coworkers don't like your lunch. There is no policy that says that if you see something you want, you ask a couple of times whose it is and if no answer, you can keep it. It makes me paranoid that sooner or later I will drop my phone or wallet and another precious lil "person" will keep it.

Belijoji

For a long time I applied for a lot of jobs. Zero offers.

Besides some jobs are worse than mine and I won't know which ones until after working there for a long time

Also I wrote that the coworker and I are both Chinese, because tofu is a staple of Chinese cuisine, while in the United States it seems only health nuts and vegetarians eat tofu as a meat substitute

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 7:59 am

Just so you know, I am American and I love eating tofu raw. However, I am not a sold health nut but I would like to be more of one.

As for the cucumber soup, I fell in love with chilled soups when I went on a few cruises. Therefore, I decided to make it myself and loved it.

As for my co-workers not liking what I brought, they didn't like anything or anyone who didn't fit their perfect mold.

Now regarding the co-worker who was a fake friend, she had lots of issues that went beyond just gossiping and backstabbing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 10:21 pm

A scene from the break room...

HE: "What the Hell is that?"

ME: "A sandwich."

HE: "Don't be a smartass!  What's in it?"

ME: "My teeth." <taking a bite>

HE: "Lemme see dat!" <makes a grab for it>

ME: "Food Thief!  Food thief!"

Manager walks in.  Explanations are made.  'HE' is reprimanded.  'ME' is told to get back to work.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:08 pm

I didn't eat lunch at work for years (still don't) because a colleague made loud comments about my food.
I don't think it was even anything too unusual (can't remember now) but the way she said it made it sound like I was eating something disgusting.
After that I couldn't eat while she was in the room, so that was it for lunches for me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:09 pm

I used to hide in a closet with no windows, with the door locked, to eat lunch at work.
That is, if I ate at all.
With ADHD and no money it was quite rare.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:17 pm

I find I can't eat at work now.
Someone forced a piece of birthday cake on me at work the other week.
I had difficulty swallowing it, it was like my throat closed up and said nope.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:24 pm

I can't stand eating with people or in workplaces.
I hate the kitchen duties (we had a schedule).
I hate the sensory of smelling and seeing their food.
I hate all the conversations.
The worst is the commentary, like shortfat said.

:(

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 11:13 pm

The biggest thing for me on my lunch breaks was needing to be away from people or at least not having to talk or socialize. Finding somewhere quiet to go was ideal although not always feasible.

I didn’t always eat on my lunch breaks either. It depends on the time of my life and the place of employment.

I wouldn’t like people commenting on my food either.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 11:26 pm

When I was younger I was reminded how cruel kids are when someone told me about a kid they knew who was given a can of store brand pop as a treat with her lunch by her mother, but when she went to school other kids were nasty and called it pop for poor people because it wasn't Coca-cola or some name brand.

Why are people so rude and nasty when it comes to seeing what other people eat? What they eat is their own business.

I find my anxiety about eating or drinking in public has relapsed since the Covid pandemic. The other week there I decided at the mall I decided to buy one of those soft baked pretzels at a new place that opened up, but when I tried to eat a piece from it while walking through the mall my throat seemed to start working against me and I could barely swallow it. I didn't eat the rest of the pretzel until I got home, and by then it was soggy and tough and not very good.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 1:16 am

We have a full kitchen at the office and I cook many things there.

One day years ago I was making some Indian food with lots and lots of great smells. I was told to stop. I replied with "What are you worried about? Everyone will just think it is the restaurant next door."

That didn't help matters at all.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 1:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
When I was younger I was reminded how cruel kids are when someone told me about a kid they knew who was given a can of store brand pop as a treat with her lunch by her mother, but when she went to school other kids were nasty and called it pop for poor people because it wasn't Coca-cola or some name brand.

The cheaper brands are often very little difference from the top brands. In some cases, they are much better.

For example, there is some bags of potato chips around here that are half the price of the well known brands. I can't tell any difference in flavor or quality.

Years ago at one large store in a city where I used to live, they had many brands of dinner rolls. I tried them all and the best of all was the cheapest brand. It seemed like the more expensive the brand, the less flavor it had.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)