Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 10:33 pm

Sometimes I don't feel like talking for a long time

Frequency intensity duration

Having to overhear someone's conversation, like noise pollution

Most precious lil "people" talk too loud and too much and too enthusiastically. They act like every thought and emotion that goes through their heads is the latest greatest scientific invention. Sometimes they give me a headache. They act like they are so innocent, awesome, important and smart. They are really annoying and totally full of themselves

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 10:23 am

^Why do you always put people in inverted commas? Do you not consider that they are really people?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 11:13 am

I understand how you feel and I feel that way too sometimes. But if you're looking for advice, my advice would be to try to cultivate tolerance and forbearance within yourself and find some compassion toward these people who are annoying. Not everyone is smart, not everyone is self-aware. Sometimes people don't even realize that they are being self-important or vain. If you can try to forgive them for their failings, they will become more tolerable to you. You wouldn't be doing it for them, you would be doing it for yourself.

Sending all good wishes to you. I'm not being critical of you. As I said, I've been there myself.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2024, 1:04 am

I know how you feel too. I think I know what you mean by 'people' as well. It's 'people' vs people = NTs vs NDs, like as some unkind NTs sometimes put it, 'people' vs 'weirdos'.

Without wishing to bang on about invisible deities etc. what works for me at times like this is gratitude for who I am. For example, when the pandemic first hit, people asked questions like 'When can I go to parties again?' or 'When can I hug my grandchildren?' and I would quietly berate them for being so shallow. I came to realise that the majority of people crave simple social interaction. It so happens that personally I don't. The enforced solitude of the pandemic was a blessing for me.

I don't have to join in shallow conversations. As an autistic person I have that choice. I can mask if I want, but these days that's to make them feel comfortable, not me. For the rest of the time, I have headphones.

Tell me to shut up if you like. You may not want advice. You may just need a good rant. That's OK too. You're in the right place :)

There is a God.