Looking forward to night time all day

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2024, 9:05 pm

I always get out of bed in the morning and have very productive days. Usually I'm working during the week, but today I had the day off due to primary elections, so I went to the YMCA to exercise. I've just noticed that a lot of days, I get really excited about night time because I can relax and enjoy my bed with my heated blanket and I can cuddle with my special doll. Sometimes it starts as soon as I get out of bed, but usually it starts around the time I get home from work (around 4:30PM). Most evenings I get a little bit of a chill in my body that just won't go away until I crawl into my bed. I wonder if this has anything to do with the mild episodic depression that I was recently diagnosed with. It could also be related to my autism and just being really tired from socializing all day. Perhaps some days it's because I'm tired from my anxiety making me worry about something. I'm not sure. All I know is it's not good if I can't wait to get into bed all the time because it means I'm waiting for the days of my life to pass by quickly. Does anyone else ever feel like this? :roll:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 10:49 pm

Are you sure it's not good? It sounds very comforting and cozy. Our lives don't have to be productive all the time, especially when we can use some self-care.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 3:22 am

I just bought a new mattress, so all day I can't wait until night time when I can sleep on it.

But it used to be the case that I looked forward to bed time because the days were so tedious and I didn't want to be awake. I was going through depression then. The right medication helped to turn that around.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 7:58 am

seems healthy to me that you have productive days and that you look forward to rest and comfort at the end of the day. That you have a safe place to rest and find comfort is a win!
I look forward to the end of my day too, and have comfort rituals that surround that. Longing for quiet and rest when you are tired seems like a healthy and normal thing.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2024, 6:22 pm

I'm not saying that it's bad to be cozy at night or have quiet time for self care. I'm saying that I don't think it's healthy to be thinking about bedtime the majority of the day. I don't like to stay in bed all day because then I don't feel productive and TV makes me bored after a while. However, once I get up and get going, sometimes I'll say to myself "I can't wait until it gets dark out so I can crawl into bed again." It's my belief that one of the reasons I like to stay so busy during the day is to make the time pass quickly. I don't like to have an idle mind because it makes me bored and it makes the day almost torturous. That's why I try to always have something productive planned to do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 9:28 pm

I look forward to night time my whole life.
I hate daytime and I live in pyjamas.
I got rid of nearly all my real clothes.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2024, 6:45 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I look forward to night time my whole life.
I hate daytime and I live in pyjamas.
I got rid of nearly all my real clothes.

I could never do that, as much as I love my soft PJ's. I also wear nice thick socks to bed as well so that me feet don't ever get cold. I won't do that when it gets hot obviously, but on a damp, raw, April night, the warm socks are just perfect for relaxing my tired feet. During the day, you'll usually find me wearing some type of flowered shirt or blouse, some type of nice jeans, and a pair of heels. That's my daytime style.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:45 pm

I have a lot of days like that. Having a busy schedule and dealing with lots of different people has that effect on me.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 7:05 pm

One of my friends is an undiagnosed autistic lady. She refuses to admit she may be and says "that's very asinine to assume that". Internalized ableism I guess. But anyway, she worked third shift for decades and is now basically a vampire. She says she always functioned better at night than the day and that humans can be naturally nocturnal just like animals like bats.

Before the industrial revolution people could keep their own hours and sleep and be awake whenever they wanted. It was probably CRUCIAL for shepherds because that's when all the predators come out. A shepherd who was more nocturnal prone could easily keep an eye out for wolves, bears or lions. But after the industrial revolution society insisted everyone be diurnal. I always struggled with sleeping during the night, I preferred to sleep in the day but everything happened in the day. I couldn't go to school at night. "Night school" isn't literal. But after school, there's always going to be a need for ER doctors, nurses, veterinarians because accidents and emergencies aren't strictly "diurnal" events and lots of animals that need help giving birth usually do it at night.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2024, 9:36 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
One of my friends is an undiagnosed autistic lady. She refuses to admit she may be and says "that's very asinine to assume that". Internalized ableism I guess. But anyway, she worked third shift for decades and is now basically a vampire. She says she always functioned better at night than the day and that humans can be naturally nocturnal just like animals like bats.

Before the industrial revolution people could keep their own hours and sleep and be awake whenever they wanted. It was probably CRUCIAL for shepherds because that's when all the predators come out. A shepherd who was more nocturnal prone could easily keep an eye out for wolves, bears or lions. But after the industrial revolution society insisted everyone be diurnal. I always struggled with sleeping during the night, I preferred to sleep in the day but everything happened in the day. I couldn't go to school at night. "Night school" isn't literal. But after school, there's always going to be a need for ER doctors, nurses, veterinarians because accidents and emergencies aren't strictly "diurnal" events and lots of animals that need help giving birth usually do it at night.

Interesting point, although I don't think I would like to be active at night. I like working during the day, but I look forward to night time because I can relax and enjoy the benefits of a nice warm bed and try to take care of myself and destress. Sometimes I feel overworked and very stressed, but I don't want to complain about it, but my bed is a sacred place for me to be to calm my body down and rest

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 1:55 pm

playgroundlover22695 wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Interesting point, although I don't think I would like to be active at night. I like working during the day, but I look forward to night time because I can relax and enjoy the benefits of a nice warm bed and try to take care of myself and destress. Sometimes I feel overworked and very stressed, but I don't want to complain about it, but my bed is a sacred place for me to be to calm my body down and rest

I could see myself working the night shift at some emergency veterinary hospital...or being one of those vets who gets called out when a mare or cow is going into labor at 3:AM.