Do you often tell white lies about your life?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 2:43 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I still feel guilty if I know I've said something that isn't accurate, as if the world would never forgive me for making the slightest error, like a phobia. Quite irrational.

This. After 25 years in court cross-examinations where I had to back up everything with evidence, and defend myself against malicious bullshitters and a corrupt system I'm terrified to say the slightest thing that isn't true. It's like a phobia for me too.

The other day I went to a McDonald's drive-thru. They forgot my french fries so I had to go back around. They didn't believe me. Perhaps I'd eaten them quickly or hidden them in the car? Then I gave my bag of other food back to the manager and he SMELLED inside the bag to determine if there was french fry aroma or not .... otherwise known as "Let's check if you're lying ...."

I had a meltdown of epic proportions.

It's really a pain in the ass to be honest.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 3:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
I still feel guilty if I know I've said something that isn't accurate, as if the world would never forgive me for making the slightest error, like a phobia. Quite irrational.

This. After 25 years in court cross-examinations where I had to back up everything with evidence, and defend myself against malicious bullshitters and a corrupt system I'm terrified to say the slightest thing that isn't true. It's like a phobia for me too.

The other day I went to a McDonald's drive-thru. They forgot my french fries so I had to go back around. They didn't believe me. Perhaps I'd eaten them quickly or hidden them in the car? Then I gave my bag of other food back to the manager and he SMELLED inside the bag to determine if there was french fry aroma or not .... otherwise known as "Let's check if you're lying ...."

I had a meltdown of epic proportions.

It's really a pain in the ass to be honest.

Yes Mc Fonalds got me once that I recall....i had repeated the order three times ... typically , i hate sausage especially Mikky D-s ...Could not control it .. i did not go around stomped in
side practically and I demanded the manager ... I can Glower remarkably well ..
and folded arms across my chest , and spoke in a loud obnoxious voice . I got my money back for the order and ended up with a free coffee, to wit they were glad to be done with me.! And I them.. staff has changed several times , been back to their drive thru , three times since .With absolutely no issues . Not to be messed with ,this person, when am Hangery.! :twisted: Especially do not feed me Mc D's sausage . Not a purveyor of White lies or a reciever/ at least not very well. :oops: Am all about being gracious until my apetite has gotten outta control. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 5:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

If it's not too personal a question, who was doing that to you? 8O

I don't know where my phobia came from. Since diagnosis I've always put it down simply to the ASD trait. My parents were pretty unforgiving about lies, but I don't remember being wrongly convicted. In my case it's not such a massive anxiety, just an uncomfortable irrational feeling. In many situations I've actually wished somebody would challenge my sincerity so that I could present my evidence. I worry more that people don't believe me but are too polite and diplomatic to say so and get the matter cleared up. So I kind of feel tried and condemned in the minds of others, like the actors in the McCarthy witch-hunt days where it was a mystery for some time why they couldn't find work.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 5:42 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

Off Topic
Which story would you like?

1:

My ex-husband initiated at least 12 different family court cases against me spanning 23 years, mostly so he wouldn't have to pay child support - but also because he was considered by court psychologists to be a danger to the kids, and because he wanted the house I bought after stealing the entire line of credit and leaving me to repay it as a 28 year old with two babies.
He was in contempt of court by not following any of the existing orders. He was in default to me of about $150,000 at one point. I didn't even care about the money. I wanted him to stop harassing us, and causing stress for my kids.

It seems he couldn't buy his lawyers enough cars and houses, at the expense of his kids' court-ordered support. I personally spent close to half a million dollars with compounded interest, in debt, responding to his bullcrap because I had no choice. You can't not respond to these lunatics. Each case was a year or two long and I had to write / submit thousands of pages of evidence which was cross-examined and challenged by leagues of vultures. My kids had their own lawyers too, starting around age seven. This was mandated because I wasn't allowed to speak on their behalf. I kept "winning" but I still had to pay legal fees. After I'd win he'd just default on the Order and sue me again. The court kept allowing this so they could get new cars. Apparently it was his constitutional right, or something like that? In fact he even sued my daughter directly when she was 24, again to avoid his obligations. He legally disowned her at that point.

2:

Then there was another lunatic I crossed paths with who sued me for my house and various other things. He got free legal representation because he was an addict who faked a workplace injury, quit his job and went bankrupt. I had to pay full legal fees because I had a job. That one took two years and was concurrent with (1).

I "won" again but also had to pay fees.

3:

Criminal hearings against people concerning my trauma (SA, violence, attempted murder).

I won.

4:

I independently sued a major international conglomerate company, one of the biggest companies in the world.
This was not a class action.

Just call me Erin Brockovich.

Oh, I won that too.

Don't mess with IL. :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 6:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Off Topic
Which story would you like?

1:

My ex-husband initiated at least 12 different family court cases against me spanning 23 years, mostly so he wouldn't have to pay child support - but also because he was considered by court psychologists to be a danger to the kids, and because he wanted the house I bought after stealing the entire line of credit and leaving me to repay it as a 28 year old with two babies.
He was in contempt of court by not following any of the existing orders. He was in default to me of about $150,000 at one point. I didn't even care about the money. I wanted him to stop harassing us, and causing stress for my kids.

It seems he couldn't buy his lawyers enough cars and houses, at the expense of his kids' court-ordered support. I personally spent close to half a million dollars with compounded interest, in debt, responding to his bullcrap because I had no choice. You can't not respond to these lunatics. Each case was a year or two long and I had to write / submit thousands of pages of evidence which was cross-examined and challenged by leagues of vultures. My kids had their own lawyers too, starting around age seven. This was mandated because I wasn't allowed to speak on their behalf. I kept "winning" but I still had to pay legal fees. After I'd win he'd just default on the Order and sue me again. The court kept allowing this so they could get new cars. Apparently it was his constitutional right, or something like that? In fact he even sued my daughter directly when she was 24, again to avoid his obligations. He legally disowned her at that point.

2:

Then there was another lunatic I crossed paths with who sued me for my house and various other things. He got free legal representation because he was an addict who faked a workplace injury, quit his job and went bankrupt. I had to pay full legal fees because I had a job. That one took two years and was concurrent with (1).

I "won" again but also had to pay fees.

3:

Criminal hearings against people concerning my trauma (SA, violence, attempted murder).

I won.

4:

I independently sued a major international conglomerate company, one of the biggest companies in the world.
This was not a class action.

Just call me Erin Brockovich.

Oh, I won that too.

Don't mess with IL. :lol:

Oof! Civil court cases can be pretty uncivilised. Glad you were able to turn it to your advantage by using the acquired skills to successfully go on the offensive later. My only 2 whiffs of civil litigation never materialised. One was to do with a landlord, the other an ex-spouse. It was heavy enough when court action was only a possibility. I've sometimes wished to be tried in a criminal case in order to get it on the record that I'm not guilty, as criminal cases are more dependent on evidence rather than this balance-of-probabilities fudge, therefore the truth would be more likely to come out, but I should be careful what I wish for, as my faith in the criminal justice system might be naive. Judges and juries aren't good scientists.