Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 11:17 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone remember the solar eclipse in 1979?
I was home from school.
It was really amazing.

was in Puget sound region Washington state at the time, only partial eclipse visible here, closest place to me with totality that year was in salem Oregon which was dark, stormy and raining.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm

was in fredericktown MO today, after 6+ hours of hard driving, landed in a cemetery which was on a high plain, clear horizontal view all around me and just hazy clouds above which parted in time to see the eclipse start to happen. very lucky today and lucky to have seen two of the bad boys :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 1:23 am

Has anybody seen the total eclipse through eclipse sunglasses? We couldn't, it was just black (though the partials were good), so I'm wondering if it's a normal design feature of the glasses or if ours were particularly crappy in that regard. I've not been able to find anything on the Web saying eclipse glasses are useless for the totality.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 1:27 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Has anybody seen the total eclipse through eclipse sunglasses? We couldn't, it was just black (though the partials were good), so I'm wondering if it's a normal design feature of the glasses or if ours were particularly crappy in that regard. I've not been able to find anything on the Web saying eclipse glasses are useless for the totality.

you MUST doff the glasses upon totality, the glasses are too dark to see the corona by itself with the disc obscured by the moon.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 8:02 am

Yup was right there ....and enjoyed it very much...yes during totality , found the lenses on the eclipse glasses useless
even on my tablet lense,as a lense cover. ( during totality) But was quite amazing veiw..Even though it was a few minutes long ( only) Rest of the time glasses were very handy 8)
And saw the wicked effect of a great number of little cresent moons filtering through the leaves on the little tree next to us ,As a shadow of the beginning and end of the eclipse.. It Was unlike anything, I had witnessed before ..And had a great veiw of the large surrounding areas of over 40 miles( approx.) in a 360 degree veiw from the little hill , we had found.. Practically had the spot all to Ourselves, with only a very few other very small gathering of people , over 100 ft away from our location.. We did go alittle further into the path of totality on purpose. Traffic for this event was aweful
as you got closer to the path of totality .Main highways were jammed . getting to and leaving the areas, Would highly reccomend you plan to arrive hours or days earlier....This is my second eclipse veiwing in my life. "But first one that I was in the path of complete totality" .Birds and things , seemed to get markedly quieter during the event.. And we brought a piknik set up . But really , we were quite over prepared..Wish had better photography equipment ..But , did buy this most recent tablet with regards towards the cameras ability. And was not completely disappointed . When I did use the same idea as written above and put the eclipse glasses lense in front of the tablets lense. 8) Best shots were gotten at the very beginning and very end of the totality part of the eclipse, :D . And most of the rest were the cresent shape as it was approahing totality.. And got pikkies of all the little cresents on the ground, As a effect of the shadow of the ecilpse casting through the nearby little tree :D :D :D :jester: And no worries looking directly at the sun image ,during the totality of the ecilpse . 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 8:29 am

I watched a few videos where people were in the path of totality and I could not help but notice the bright explosion of light.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 10:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

you MUST doff the glasses upon totality, the glasses are too dark to see the corona by itself with the disc obscured by the moon.

Jakki wrote:
Yup was right there ....and enjoyed it very much...yes during totality , found the lenses on the eclipse glasses useless
even on my tablet lense,as a lense cover. ( during totality)

Thanks for clearing that up. Annoying that the Web hardly ever explains either the uselessness of the glasses or the safety of observing with the naked eye for the totality. Chat GPT was an exception (didn't find that out till it was too late), explaining that the Sun's corona doesn't harm the eye, but that source also quite wrongly said that the 1999 totality was visible from Leicester, UK.

Before knowing the truth about viewing the totality, I was a tad disturbed to find that permanent damage to vision from "looking at the eclipse with the naked eye" might not be noticed till a few days after the event, as I'd looked at it very briefly. Now I'm a tad miffed that I was too risk-averse and missed out on some of the fun. Stupid Internet. But I did at least see it.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 2:21 pm

I'm pretty bummed that it was too cloudy to see anything where I am. I also missed the partial eclipse that happened a few months ago because I didn't know about it. Then there was an eclipse around 2017 that I missed because I didn't know where to get eclipse glasses. So I'm feeling pretty disappointed.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 4:10 pm

bee33 wrote:
I'm pretty bummed that it was too cloudy to see anything where I am. I also missed the partial eclipse that happened a few months ago because I didn't know about it. Then there was an eclipse around 2017 that I missed because I didn't know where to get eclipse glasses. So I'm feeling pretty disappointed.

You're young enough to have some hope of living to see another one. I rather think the other day was my last chance.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:45 pm

for the second time I caught "the diamond ring effect" in the second or two before the eclipse totalled, and as it released its grip. 8)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 9:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
for the second time I caught "the diamond ring effect" in the second or two before the eclipse totalled, and as it released its grip. 8)

Ah, Baily's Beads. Caused by irregularities on the moon's surface. I missed that because I was scared of blinding myself even from looking at the totality. Were you wearing your eclipse glasses when the Beads showed up?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ah, Baily's Beads. Caused by irregularities on the moon's surface. I missed that because I was scared of blinding myself even from looking at the totality. Were you wearing your eclipse glasses when the Beads showed up?

I believe I took them off right when the glasses went dark, and I saw the effect, and briefly saw the effect at the end.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 12:32 am

bee33 wrote:

People that do this type of Photography/ videos , are generally better equiped than the average person , to make a good show of the event . Many many people veiwing this had professional quality cameras....that cell phones and tablets
generally Do not have the ability to get the better quality piks, I believe, from my experience. but must admit , in person veiwing can be kinda memorable ..For fans of these types of Astrological / Astronomical events .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8O 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 12:39 am

auntblabby wrote:

Very Spectacular...this diamond ring effect at beginning and the end, i think. If a very kind fellow hadnt recommended that I particularly look for the Diamond Ring effect. It could have easily been overlooked I feel. That was truley smazing .
Had to know concept of what exactly to look for,when told of it . But sure as the Sun will return there it was , and quite unmistakeable..... 8O 8O 8O 8).. Just like a Single Stone wedding ring. Gold ring of light,with a very bright shiney spot at some point in the ring of Gold colour. And for that few moments that can also be veiwed with the naked eye.
With from recent experience absolutely no ill effects , and my eyes are pretty sensative to Light. 8O 8)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 1:30 am

Jakki wrote:
People that do this type of Photography/ videos , are generally better equiped than the average person , to make a good show of the event . Many many people veiwing this had professional quality cameras....that cell phones and tablets
generally Do not have the ability to get the better quality piks, I believe, from my experience. but must admit , in person veiwing can be kinda memorable ..For fans of these types of Astrological / Astronomical events .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8O 8)

The eclipse is an unusual subject for a photograph - extremely bright sun next to extremely dark moon and sky, which brings out all the faults of a cheap camera lens. And the Sun appears so small that you have to zoom in a lot, which amplifies camera shake unless there's a tripod handy, and most people don't carry tripods around with them.

Even so, my avatar is the photograph I took the other day with a cheap camera and no tripod. I was very lucky there. I took a lot more pictures of the eclipse, in exactly the same way, but they're all rubbish compared to that one. The colours aren't much like the real colours at the time, but as they're very pretty I don't mind that.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 7:46 am

The thrill is gone. I have seen more than one eclipse. This one didn’t thrill me. My wife wanted to do something so we watched on NASA’s live feed. My 14 year old came home from school with the glasses so I glanced up and saw it with my own eyes. Perhaps I am just getting old and jaded.

The Sun is still there now. Same for the Earth and the Moon. They are always moving. Three in a row are a bit odd but…

One thing I saw on the NASA feed that was new and different. View of North America from the ISS. Big round shadow covering most of it.