Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 11:00 am

Fenn wrote:
The thrill is gone. I have seen more than one eclipse. This one didn’t thrill me. My wife wanted to do something so we watched on NASA’s live feed. My 14 year old came home from school with the glasses so I glanced up and saw it with my own eyes. Perhaps I am just getting old and jaded.

The Sun is still there now. Same for the Earth and the Moon. They are always moving. Three in a row are a bit odd but…

One thing I saw on the NASA feed that was new and different. View of North America from the ISS. Big round shadow covering most of it.

The biggest thrill is definitely the first one. I've seen 2 and the second one was also cool, I'm not sure if that's because the first one I saw was an annular eclipse and the other was like 99% of a total eclipse due to not being able to make the last few miles to the area that got completely blockage.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 1:55 pm

^
There are definitely limits to the interest that an eclipse can generate. They declared a State Of Emergency here because they were worried about the effects of the eclipse's popularity, but apart from a few temporary grocery shortages at Wal-Mart and a bit more traffic on the road, life went on quite normally. Out of a block of 50 apartments, only about 12 ventured out to look, unless some had gone to find a more crowded place so they could do it as a social event. My father-in-law didn't go outside to look at it. He was more interested in talking about the eclipse he saw in the 1930s when he was very young and nobody in the area knew what it was. In 1999 many organised eclipse events on the south coast of the UK were almost completely unattended. My son was on the south coast at the time but now only remembers it vaguely.

Me, I'm not much of a passive spectator, though as I'd only ever seen 2 partials before I was quite interested in what was probably the first and last total I'll ever get to see. What probably enhanced my interest was the intellectual challenge of collecting information about it and using it to predict the times of the different phases, and of course the challenge of getting a photograph or two without spending any money. I love using my brain to get good results for free. And we didn't have to travel, so there were no dissuading concerns about getting stuck in traffic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 5:13 pm

I am so privileged to see it twice in 7 years.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 10:02 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Jakki wrote:
People that do this type of Photography/ videos , are generally better equiped than the average person , to make a good show of the event . Many many people veiwing this had professional quality cameras....that cell phones and tablets
generally Do not have the ability to get the better quality piks, I believe, from my experience. but must admit , in person veiwing can be kinda memorable ..For fans of these types of Astrological / Astronomical events .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8O 8)

The eclipse is an unusual subject for a photograph - extremely bright sun next to extremely dark moon and sky, which brings out all the faults of a cheap camera lens. And the Sun appears so small that you have to zoom in a lot, which amplifies camera shake unless there's a tripod handy, and most people don't carry tripods around with them.

Even so, my avatar is the photograph I took the other day with a cheap camera and no tripod. I was very lucky there. I took a lot more pictures of the eclipse, in exactly the same way, but they're all rubbish compared to that one. The colours aren't much like the real colours at the time, but as they're very pretty I don't mind that.

That is a brilliant pikky of the eclipse ,, took slmost 20 piks to see if I couls get a good one ..nothing like yours, but have seen professional cameras do as well as yours.During the last Eclipse . "Good job" ! 8O :D
Pretty Nice.! Did not think to try to use any of mine as a avatar....and do not have a account with any of the photo sharing sites. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 10:05 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Fenn wrote:
The thrill is gone. I have seen more than one eclipse. This one didn’t thrill me. My wife wanted to do something so we watched on NASA’s live feed. My 14 year old came home from school with the glasses so I glanced up and saw it with my own eyes. Perhaps I am just getting old and jaded.

The Sun is still there now. Same for the Earth and the Moon. They are always moving. Three in a row are a bit odd but…

One thing I saw on the NASA feed that was new and different. View of North America from the ISS. Big round shadow covering most of it.

The biggest thrill is definitely the first one. I've seen 2 and the second one was also cool, I'm not sure if that's because the first one I saw was an annular eclipse and the other was like 99% of a total eclipse due to not being able to make the last few miles to the area that got completely blockage.

Yup..yup .,quite sure that the Nasa site :heart: had to be one of the best . :D :D
And I was pretty jaded too. Having seen the last one ...but oddly enough , it seemed quite rewarding at the moment in time it happened . :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 10:11 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
There are definitely limits to the interest that an eclipse can generate. They declared a State Of Emergency here because they were worried about the effects of the eclipse's popularity, but apart from a few temporary grocery shortages at Wal-Mart and a bit more traffic on the road, life went on quite normally. Out of a block of 50 apartments, only about 12 ventured out to look, unless some had gone to find a more crowded place so they could do it as a social event. My father-in-law didn't go outside to look at it. He was more interested in talking about the eclipse he saw in the 1930s when he was very young and nobody in the area knew what it was. In 1999 many organised eclipse events on the south coast of the UK were almost completely unattended. My son was on the south coast at the time but now only remembers it vaguely.

Me, I'm not much of a passive spectator, though as I'd only ever seen 2 partials before I was quite interested in what was probably the first and last total I'll ever get to see. What probably enhanced my interest was the intellectual challenge of collecting information about it and using it to predict the times of the different phases, and of course the challenge of getting a photograph or two without spending any money. I love using my brain to get good results for free. And we didn't have to travel, so there were no dissuading concerns about getting stuck in traffic.

Yes..yes.. we were part of the stuck in traffic crowd.But as we got closer..we got mych more aggressive in our travels :ninja: .
Arriving at our chosen spot 1/2 hour before the event started :jester: And almost No crowd whatsoever, :D when we got to the place we had chosen... 8O :nerdy:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 2:06 pm

Jakki wrote:
That is a brilliant pikky of the eclipse ,, took slmost 20 piks to see if I couls get a good one ..nothing like yours, but have seen professional cameras do as well as yours.During the last Eclipse . "Good job" ! 8O :D
Pretty Nice.! Did not think to try to use any of mine as a avatar....and do not have a account with any of the photo sharing sites. :roll:

Thank you :-) The advice on the Web was not to bother trying. They said the results would be lousy and I'd be so busy messing with my crappy camera that I'd miss seeing it. But there was an hour and a half between the start of the eclipse and the totality, and another hour and a half to the end, so there was plenty of time to see the partial and take a lot of pictures.

The totality was only 4 and a half minutes, so I only tried one shot of that (which turned out very badly), and spent the rest of the time looking at the thing itself (very briefly because in my ignorance I feared it would blind me) and at the surroundings. I forgot to look for Mercury, which can't be seen except during an eclipse, but I wouldn't have known where to look for it, as I hadn't managed to get any info about where it would be. In fact I forgot to look for any stars. Somebody on Facebook got a sharper picture than I did, but he'd done it with a proper telescope on a tripod with 2 layers of mylar over the lens. His contrast wasn't as high as mine, and the colour was a dingy pale blue. But like I say, it was sharper, so I don't know who wins the prize.

I'm thinking of temporarily swapping my avatar for one of the not-so-good shots I took. Most of them aren't worth looking at, but one or two have fairly sharp but multiple images of the partial, and the colours are nice, so all in all it could be argued that they have some artistic merit as psychedelic photography.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 5:53 pm

Understood totally..( lolz,totality) ..Did demostably notice the planet to the lower left of the eclipse .. but was not aware that it was mercury but it showed up in most all of my piks ....Am pleased to know this now .. the company,I was with did not realize this either..Thank you very much , it was very distinct . Was quite perplexed by my tablet not getting a better pik, of the actual totality , that I was able to veiw with my naked eye.( by the way NO ill effects afterwards)
The image , i got repeatedly , was that of a Sun Image with a tiny black spot in the middle of it . ( thought of the song
with the line"saw a little black spot on the sun today") was precisely the image my camera caught. With the planet Mercury on lower tight . Lolz , maybe in 2044 will be better prepared..Lolzz..provided, I can either arrange ,cryogenic freezing for myself
or possibly some great super supplement that causes my life to be extended.. :D
~~~~~~~. ~~~~~~. ~~~~~~. ~~~~~. ~~~~~~~~
Love the coincidence of eclipse being the same day [the Great Hedron Collider was restarted] and the wonderous conspirascy therories around that.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ( mandela effects..etc..) 8O ... :D

Nice that you had extra time to set up as the eclipse was starting.... :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 9:09 pm

The next total solar eclipse in the United States will occur in northwest Alaska on March 30, 2033. Eastern Russia will see it too. Nome, on Alaska's Seward Peninsula, is on the centerline and slated to receive two and a half minutes of totality. (Nome is home to the Iditarod's finish line.)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 11:35 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The next total solar eclipse in the United States will occur in northwest Alaska on March 30, 2033. Eastern Russia will see it too. Nome, on Alaska's Seward Peninsula, is on the centerline and slated to receive two and a half minutes of totality. (Nome is home to the Iditarod's finish line.)

Total eclipses aren't as rare as I used to think they were. Arranging to be in the right place at the right time is usually the problem. If I'm unexpectedly wealthy, robust of health, and free of duties, I suppose it's not impossible that I'll be at the 2033 one, but it seems unlikely I'll be that lucky. The one that just happened directly over where I happened to be was an improbable bonus to my current stay in the US.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 11:56 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Total eclipses aren't as rare as I used to think they were. Arranging to be in the right place at the right time is usually the problem. If I'm unexpectedly wealthy, robust of health, and free of duties, I suppose it's not impossible that I'll be at the 2033 one, but it seems unlikely I'll be that lucky. The one that just happened directly over where I happened to be was an improbable bonus to my current stay in the US.

that is as lucky as one could possibly be, totally equal to winning big at the lotto.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 12:03 am

Jakki wrote:
Understood totally..( lolz,totality) ..Did demostably notice the planet to the lower left of the eclipse .. but was not aware that it was mercury but it showed up in most all of my piks ....Am pleased to know this now .. the company,I was with did not realize this either..Thank you very much , it was very distinct . Was quite perplexed by my tablet not getting a better pik, of the actual totality , that I was able to veiw with my naked eye.( by the way NO ill effects afterwards)
The image , i got repeatedly , was that of a Sun Image with a tiny black spot in the middle of it . ( thought of the song
with the line"saw a little black spot on the sun today") was precisely the image my camera caught. With the planet Mercury on lower tight . Lolz , maybe in 2044 will be better prepared..Lolzz..provided, I can either arrange ,cryogenic freezing for myself
or possibly some great super supplement that causes my life to be extended.. :D
~~~~~~~. ~~~~~~. ~~~~~~. ~~~~~. ~~~~~~~~
Love the coincidence of eclipse being the same day [the Great Hedron Collider was restarted] and the wonderous conspirascy therories around that.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ( mandela effects..etc..) 8O ... :D

Nice that you had extra time to set up as the eclipse was starting.... :D

My photo of the totality looks similar - just the Sun with a small and vaguely darkish blob in the middle, like blurred frogspawn. The camera optics must have spread the light from the bright corona. Didn't capture Mercury. But I saw it as it is. Just goes to show how good human eyes are. I was surprised how small it looked. I guess I'm used to those giant zoomed-in professional shots that the experts show off.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 12:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that is as lucky as one could possibly be, totally equal to winning big at the lotto.

Yes and near-zero cost. Just a few dollars for the glasses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 12:10 am

I still have my glasses from the 2017 great American eclipse.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 12:27 am

Maybe, they could be personally colkectable ? :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 5:18 am

What to do with your solar eclipse glasses

Quote:
Now that Monday’s celestial spectacle has come and gone, millions of people across North America may find their protective eclipse eyewear lying around the house.

For the fortunate folks who witnessed the rare solar event, there may not be a need to throw out gently used pairs of solar eclipse viewing glasses.

Eclipse glasses that meet a specific safety standard, known as ISO 12312-2, are safe to reuse, according to the American Astronomical Society. That means the same glasses worn during the 2024 total solar eclipse will serve as effective protection during the next total solar eclipse in 2026 that will be visible over Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia and a small portion of Portugal and appear as a partial eclipse in parts of Europe, Africa and North America.

The glasses can also shield eyes in 2044 during the next total solar eclipse that will be visible from the contiguous United States, over North Dakota and Montana.

“It’s best to store eclipse glasses away from anything sharp that could scratch or puncture the filters, and if there’s any doubt about the safety of your glasses by the time of the next eclipse, it’s best to discard the glasses and get a new pair,” said Dr. Kerry Hensley, editor of AAS Nova and the society’s deputy press officer, in an email.

Do not reuse the glasses if the lenses appear to be scratched, ripped or punctured, or if the solar filter is detached from the frame, Hensley added. Dispose of damaged or scratched solar eclipse glasses by removing the lenses and recycling the cardboard, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

The American Astronomical Society advises against using any water or liquid glass cleaner to clean the lenses, as this may ruin the cardboard and cause the lenses to detach.

While some glasses may include a warning to discard them if they are more than three years old, the society states that the warning is outdated and does not apply to eclipse glasses that meet the safety standard.

Where to donate solar eclipse glasses
f the owner of a pair of solar eclipse glasses is not planning on globe-trotting to catch a glimpse of the upcoming solar eclipses, there are several organizations collecting viewers with the aim of donating to those who will be on the path of upcoming events.

Eclipse Glasses USA, a retailer of eclipse glasses approved by the American Astronomical Society, is collecting used but undamaged glasses to send to schools in Chile and Argentina that will be within the path where the October 2024 annular eclipse, otherwise known as the “ring of fire,” will be visible.

Astronomers Without Borders a nonprofit organization that collected more than 2 million glasses after the 2017 total solar eclipse and redistributed hundreds of thousands of pairs before the 2024 eclipse, has a growing list of drop off locations for donations of gently used glasses.

Or you can keep them especially new ones, older ones expire after 3 years. Someday you may get a hankering to stare at the sun again. As long as the glasses are not damaged you can stare at the sun safely any old day. Of course, the sun won't be crescent shaped and people may give you funny looks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman