Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 11:35 am

Anybody here going to be in its path on April 8th?

It passes right over my apartment, so no travelling necessary except to go out into the car park 8) Weather forecast for the area (North Arkansas) was saying mostly cloudy, but has changed to "high clouds" and they're saying that means it should be visible.

Downside is that there's bound to be a bum-rush into the region. Wal-Mart was suspiciously out of stock on quite a few groceries yesterday, don't know whether that's related.

I'm wondering whether it's worth my while trying to take a photo. My plan is to stick the lens from a pair of eclipse sunglasses over the camera lens and just point it up at the sky and press the shutter. I suppose it'll be a poor photo because it's not a great camera, I have no tripod here, and as the Sun is so "small" (so to speak) that it won't be much better than my photos of the Moon usually are.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2024, 12:22 pm

I'm in nw ohio but i have to work.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 12:33 pm

No, I live clear across the country and I've already seen two. Perhaps the next time there's an eclipse I'll travel for it.

I definitely recommend that folks with the ability to see one do so. I personally think that annular eclipses are better, but total eclipses are less common and are in some respects more impressive.

Everybody that goes just needs to make sure to have NSF certified eclipse glasses if they want to observe the eclipse directly.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 1:54 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
I'm in nw ohio but i have to work.

Assuming it's not a task that can't be paused, like brain surgery, it seems cruel of the management if they won't let you out for this. It's done in less than 5 minutes. With a bit of luck there'll be a mass rebellion.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 2:05 am

I am going to see it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 11:27 am

I'm still hoping the clouds won't spoil things too much. Forecast has changed from "high clouds" to "partly cloudy." They're still insinuating it'll be "great weather for the eclipse," but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt. Eclipse tourism is something of a cash cow, so they might just be trying to whack up the market. But I think there's still a realistic chance that it'll be visible, and I've got my eclipse sunglasses ready and have mapped out the areas that won't be in shadow.

I was hoping to see the shadow of the eclipse racing towards and/or away from me along the ground, but apparently it travels at over 1000 mph and the horizons here are too nearby for me to expect to see that. :( In theory I could head for the top of a nearby mountain but don't want to get stuck in traffic if the bum rush causes a gridlock.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:21 pm

Well, it's all over here, more or less. Very few clouds, so it was quite good.

I was rather disappointed to find that during totality, eclipse sunglasses show nothing at all. They only show the partials. I wish they'd warned me about that. So I took a very brief look with the naked eye and wished I'd had a safe way of looking longer, because it was pretty impressive.

By cutting out one of the lenses of a pair of eclipse glasses and sticking it over my camera lens, I was able to get a few passable shots of the partials, though most of them were ruined by camera shake because of the necessary high zoom level, and by artifacts from the cheap camera optics. And of course, no shot of the total eclipse except one without the eclipse lens, and that's very poor. Still, overall the photos are better than I expected. Nothing like as good as NASA, but they're mine, and very likely better than most of the shots other folks were taking. Nerdiness wins again.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:24 pm

I'm just going to wait until tonight and go out when it is darker.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:26 pm

The best suggestion I heard was to buy a bunch of blow-up dolls, fill them with helium, and release them during totality.

Make everyone think that the rapture has begun and they are being "left behind".

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:41 pm

Hi, I wasn't in the path of totality, rather, I was in the path of the partial eclipse. Only 85% of the sun was covered up a few hours ago. However, it's been 30 years since I witnessed an annular eclipse. Yes, the sun was completely covered up and I would like to see that again one day.

During the event, I went outside and enjoyed the eclipse with a pinhole projector, shared some glasses and looked at the shapes on the ground by the trees.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 5:48 pm

kokopelli wrote:
The best suggestion I heard was to buy a bunch of blow-up dolls, fill them with helium, and release them during totality.

Make everyone think that the rapture has begun and they are being "left behind".

That would be a very good prank, but without financial gain and the props might not be cheap. It crossed my mind that it might be an opportunity for a pickpocket - very dark, everybody looking upwards, thoroughly distracted, and wearing glasses through which the only thing they could see was the Sun.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:10 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi, I wasn't in the path of totality, rather, I was in the path of the partial eclipse. Only 85% of the sun was covered up a few hours ago. However, it's been 30 years since I witnessed an annular eclipse. Yes, the sun was completely covered up and I would like to see that again one day.

During the event, I went outside and enjoyed the eclipse with a pinhole projector, shared some glasses and looked at the shapes on the ground by the trees.

Pinhole camera may be the best thing for seeing the totality. If I live to see another total eclipse I might try that. I never saw one till today.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:12 pm

Does anyone remember the solar eclipse in 1979?
I was home from school.
It was really amazing.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:34 pm

^
No, that one missed the UK completely and I was in the UK at the time. The news didn't cover it. There was one that touched the south of England in 1999, but it was only a partial where I was. My son was in the south at the time and vaguely remembers seeing it, but I gather the totality was clouded out over most of its path, so maybe there wasn't much to see. I distinctly remember seeing the partial with a home-made pinhole camera, and crescent-shaped shadows of tree foliage.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:49 pm

I was in the area where the eclipse was to be 90%, which I consider pretty good. But it was very cloudy and I saw nothing at all. It wasn't even noticeably dimmer outside because the heavy clouds were already making it pretty dim. I had my eclipse glasses ready and everything. I was pretty disappointed.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 11:08 pm

bee33 wrote:
I was in the area where the eclipse was to be 90%, which I consider pretty good. But it was very cloudy and I saw nothing at all. It wasn't even noticeably dimmer outside because the heavy clouds were already making it pretty dim. I had my eclipse glasses ready and everything. I was pretty disappointed.

I heard a lot of the path would be clouded out. My area was lucky on the day, the forecast had been clouds but the sky ended up almost completely clear when the time came. I was expecting big crowds of people, but that didn't happen, so that was nice.