Morrisons introduces more 'quiet hours' for those with autis

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 6:59 am

Now, Morrisons is extending their quiet hours to include 2pm to 3pm every Monday to Thursday. The announcement coincides with World Autism Acceptance Week, which runs from April 2 to April 8.

Daniel Cadey of the National Autistic Society said: ‘Around 700,000 people are on the autism spectrum in the UK.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/mo ... hover&ei=5

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 7:29 am

Morrisons is apparently a Supermarket chain.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Limited, trading as Morrisons, is the fifth largest supermarket chain in the United Kingdom. As of 2021, the company had 497 supermarkets across England, Wales and Scotland, and one in Gibraltar. The company is headquartered in Bradford, England.
Source: Wikipedia

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 12:14 pm

Alternative link to same article (perhaps less invasive than MS):

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/05/morrison ... -20592315/

"Quiet hour involves dimming the lights, turning the music and radio off, no tannoy announcements, turning down checkout beeps and other electrical noises, as well as encouraging the reduction in movement of trolleys and baskets."

Nothing there about loud children :( I guess I'll stick to Sainsburys when I'm in England. They don't have muzak, and for some reason the particular store I use doesn't have many screaming brats at all. Dim lights would just make it harder for me to read the ingredients lists (especially when I've forgotten my reading glasses). Their checkout beep isn't harsh to my ears. Don't know what a reduction in trolley and basket movement would be like. And I'm used to Sainsburys - I've tried others but there are always important things on my regular shopping list that they don't have. Only exception is unadulterated soya milk - Sainsburys stopped bothering with that and I found it in Tesco for 50p a box, which is a lot cheaper than anything Sainsburys ever offered.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 12:30 pm

I wish Walmart would have quiet hours at 2 to 3 pm, because that's when I normally go to their store to do my grocery shopping. But it will never happen, and even if it did, there's no longer a limit to how many people are allowed in the store since the covid restrictions were lifted, and they will still bring their loud screeching children.

It's really the constant noise from people that bothers me and not the music or announcements or whatever.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 12:58 pm

^
I only go to Walmart in the daytime if I'm in urgent need of something. I can barely cross the road to get there at busy times. So I go at around 10pm when it's almost empty. There's the occasional screaming toddler who should by rights be in bed at that time of night (which may explain why it's screaming), but it's pretty rare.

The other trick, if you have a car, is to do a kerbside pickup where they bring out your groceries and load them up into the trunk for you. AFAIK they still don't charge anything for the service. They don't always have everything you've ordered, even when the missing items are on the shelves in the store, but that's the only silly thing about it I've noticed. I don't use it currently because the store is only a quarter of a mile away and the walk is often the only exercise I get, and like I say, late in the evening it's not bad in the store.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:41 pm

I think that's a good things that Morrison is doing. Autistic adults also need to get groceries and it can be quite a challenge to shop when you have your autistic child with you and he's melting down due to all the different types of noise.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm

I think this is a really great thing that Morrisons are doing!

Well done, Morrisons.