Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:56 pm

Why are people in the mental health community afraid of me calling 911 to get mental help?

I tend to hide my symptoms of Bipolar Disorder and am always careful not to be too odd in front of police officers. I am a little confused, because I don't do risky behaviors when manic, I tend to look at the mirrors a lot when I have the delusion of grandeur.

But other than that, I am calm, trying my best to be on my behavior.

What should I have done better if I have mental health crisis again?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:12 pm

Can you just take yourself to a hospital directly rather than calling 911? Or is there some other way you can deal with a crisis, like calling your therapist or doctor? Some hospitals or care facilities are much better than others. Do you know which ones are good and where you would want to go in a crisis? These are probably all things you should know before a crisis occurs.

The problem with calling 911 is that it (potentially) summons the police, and police officers are not the best trained to deal with someone having a mental health crisis and they can react badly, sometimes leading to arrest, injury or worse. I don't know how commonly that happens, but it's still something to avoid.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:30 pm

bee33 wrote:
Can you just take yourself to a hospital directly rather than calling 911? Or is there some other way you can deal with a crisis, like calling your therapist or doctor? Some hospitals or care facilities are much better than others. Do you know which ones are good and where you would want to go in a crisis? These are probably all things you should know before a crisis occurs.

The problem with calling 911 is that it (potentially) summons the police, and police officers are not the best trained to deal with someone having a mental health crisis and they can react badly, sometimes leading to arrest, injury or worse. I don't know how commonly that happens, but it's still something to avoid.

That actually makes sense.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:36 pm

Police are the reason that I don't dial 911 when it comes to my mental health. I don't want the cops dragging me to the psych ward.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 7:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Police are the reason that I don't dial 911 when it comes to my mental health. I don't want the cops dragging me to the psych ward.

That is actually understandable.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 7:09 pm

bee33 wrote:

I probably need some resources that can be helpful. I forgot to answer the most important question you asked, my bad.