Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 5:58 am

How long is the longest amount of time you have stayed home for and what caused it?

How often do you stay home all day long and how much do you like if?

Do you prefer staying home or going out and why?

Lately, been more tired, and not many public litterboxes especially since Coronavirus. Used to like going out but now it's like whatever. Yesterday I just went to the library and grocery shopping

HumanShell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2024, 6:29 am

Longest stint was 2 years when my dog got sick and died.

I spend most of my time at home, it's my default/safe setting but I'm trying/hoping to go out more.

I honestly feel better if I go out (don't know why I don't do it more) but the more human interaction there is, the more likelihood there is that it will drain me and I'll just want to retreat back home.

The library sounds nice, I haven't been in years, thanks for the reminder that they exist! Grocery shopping tends to be hit and miss with me. If I'm buying the usual stuff then I'm find but then put a new decision in front of me and I'm there for ages trying to decide which is best :oops:

Have you tried going out in nature? Ideally where there are trees where you can forest bathe? The human world of angles, uses and things can be overwhelming but nature is a glorious mess of life with no expectations.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 2:32 pm

Besides being an Aspie I'm also clearly INTJ (and the "I" is very clear) and blissfully retired.

I can easily stay home for the "business" week and only go out on Saturday and Sunday to buy a newspaper.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 4:45 pm

I'd guess the longest time I never left the house would have been about 2 weeks, as I had a few of the usual childhood illnesses and I would imagine one or two of them might have confined me for that long. I don't think I've stayed in for anything like that long in the last few decades.

Depends what you mean by staying home. I mean not going outside at all. If you exclude getting groceries from the local shop and similar short excursions, I guess I "stay home" quite a lot. But I always disapprove of myself if I don't at least have a short walk outside every day, just on the grounds of exercise and the feeling that it might not be physically or emotionally very healthy to stay in for weeks. Anyway my need to go and buy food makes sure I don't do that. I spend a lot of time at home because I "need" computers a lot, and the most portable device I have is a rather heavy laptop, and my success rate with wi-fi out of the house isn't good unless you count the times I visit my son. I'm not agarophobic, I just like having my stuff to hand and I like to have plenty of control over my surroundings. And even though I don't go out much, it doesn't seem to have done me any harm yet.

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2024, 6:28 pm

I like staying at home too much.

Due to the way I've behaved over the last 13 or 14 years; my mother's commented several times that it's like I've imprisoned my self.

Last edited by Hokulea on 08 Apr 2024, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 6:36 pm

I can stay home as long as I wish to. I work from home, so If I really don't want to go out I don't have to. I don't usually go very long, because its not something I like doing. That being said I have gone something like 6 months without going out when the need arose.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 12:23 pm

I have chronic fatigue (ME/CFS) so doing anything is hard. It's not uncommon for me to stay home all day. On many days I have no choice because even a short walk would be too exhausting. I try to get in a short bike ride on some days (I won't say most days). I order most of my groceries so I don't go out to get food except occasionally.

If the question is how many days in a row have I stayed at home it hasn't been more than a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 12:39 pm

Literally I could stay at home by myself for ever. Im never happier than when I'm in my own company. If you left me on a desert island and as long as I had enough provisions I'd be in my 5th element.

I've hidden myself away so many times in my life that I can't remember.

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2024, 8:47 pm

I tend to get really depressed when I don't go out, so I try to avoid staying at home too long.
I've gone a full day without leaving the house plenty of times but I don't think I've gone longer than that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 9:00 pm

I once went about 5 or 6 years, during which time I only left the house for mandatory doctor appointments.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 1:35 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
How long is the longest amount of time you have stayed home for and what caused it?

Lately, been more tired, and not many public litterboxes especially since Coronavirus. Used to like going out but now it's like whatever. Yesterday I just went to the library and grocery shopping

Longest amount...close to nine months with the farthest out of my house I went was my front porch.

I have a dog that I walk daily (unless weather is crap), so I rarely stay completely indoors. As for things beyond the dog walking...I try to not go places more than once or twice a week, and then only for an hour or so.

I prefer to stay home, for the most part. I'm not a fan of loud, busy, chaotic places...and most indoor places with people are exactly that for me, even the less crowded and bright or whatever places. If I could never step foot in a store again, I'd like that, but staying in too much makes leaving again so much worse/harder. I know getting out is ultimately good for me so long as I continue on in society. Still, out of my house can be exhausting and overwhelming to me, so pacing it is important for me. Nature is good though...I'd like to be outdoors more. I wish I had more nature near me.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2024, 9:09 am

Probably happened in 2020 going into 2021 due to COVID. But it wasn't that there were lockdowns for long where I currently live at all, just stayed home. Enjoyed it.

I can't do that a lot these days because I work fulltime in an office job. However, on evenings and weekends I try to stay home as much as possible. On Sundays I oftentimes have to go to the grocery store, but otherwise Saturdays and Sundays I stay home and enjoy it thoroughly.

Well... Good question. I like getting out sometimes. An occasional shopping trip or restaurant visit I do like. However, I learned especially during COVID that I actually am super happy staying home for long periods of time. I thrived while so many others were suffering.

I was this way at college beforehand when I had my own apartment, I would go straight there after classes and just love being in my own space with my dog.

I don't think I actively thought of how much I was a loner before these time periods. But certainly it's always been there. I suffered immensely when I tried university (commuting, too!) and work at the same time (note: this was a different time then the college I mentioned above). I needed time to recharge alone and almost never got it, I experienced burnout that lasted years and I still don't think I've completely recovered. (it was a decade ago now).

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm heading toward college and working again. It can't be avoided at this point, not at my age and not where I'm going to be living. Hopefully I can take some online courses to at least be in the comfort of my own space.