Every negative stereotype of ND advocates in one column

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 7:22 am

Following on from previous comment it seems a feedback loop is being created

ND advocates making stuff up, NTs including some scientists and medical practitioners, those who know better going along with what is said for fear of offending and a misplaced sense of the need to lie to be kind to not hurt feelings or offend.

This creates a sense of endorsement and agreement of what they say which encourages them even more.

It probably won’t go on indefinitely they’ll be a push back eventually which will probably lead to more hurt feelings.

Something that could have been avoided from the beginning if everyone just told the truth.

I believe Jordan Peterson repeatedly said bad things start happening in society when people go along with a lie.

The best thing individuals can do is tell the truth about things. All things

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 8:19 am

BillyTree wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

When they use the term profound autism they are referring to these types of people

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PTf7LgsIEn

I got around today to watch this. What this mother has to deal with is really difficult for her. She needs support and help. She seems to be very stressed out but her son deserves to be treated and supported in an other more calm way than she exhibits here. That said, there is no excuse to expose her son like this in a you tube clip. Is that even legal?

LOL course its legal he`s an adult and his legal guardian (mother consented) Its a tv clip news report for the purpose of raising awareness and information.

Adults with severe mental disabilities like severe autism & dementia are regularly on TV doc & news reports, even louis theroux did one

Of course many in the ND movement would like such people hidden away out of sight like the old days, wouldn't want it ruining their narrative i guess

Here`s another adult with severe autism- 6.20( BBC news report )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhlYl9W1Dw

That's exposing people in a vulnerable situation for no benefit at all. People that need to know already know. I have worked with people like these in the videos in different settings like group homes or special needs schools for over 20 years. I don't se how anything showned in these videos supports your arguments about autism or how it could be threath to the neurodiversity movement. I think these videos are hurtful. People with no knowledge about autism will not get a better understanding of these individuals with a high support need but will probably see them as monsters or freaks.

I am a dinosaur in this way of thinking but putting your child's bad moments online to make a point is wrong. The child's privacy is being violated without consent. The thinking seems to be that since the child will never understand the concept of privacy and does not understand consent no harm, no foul. Many children who present as profound will grow up to understand these things and end up in situations where the old video will cause them harm. Some of these children do understand what is going on but do not yet have the skills to object in a way that will be understood. Even children who have no concept of privacy or consent the filming might present sensory issues.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2024, 2:33 pm

We Are All on the Same Side: Unite the Spectrum

"Neurodiversity is the concept of large variations in how human brains perceive, process, and respond to the world around them. The human race is incredibly neurodiverse. Neurodivergent individuals differ more than the typical norm. Neurodivergent conditions include autism, ADHD, dyslexia, synesthesia, dyscalculia, Down syndrome, and others.

Along with neurodiversity, there has been a transition from a model of deficit, disorder, and disability to a more social construction focusing on strengths and making needed environmental and other adjustments to promote abilities to shine through. While espousing abilities-based ways of considering autism and other neurodivergent conditions, it is also important to hold space for the very real disabling challenges that can come with being Autistic or having other neurodivergent conditions in our society.

Relatedly, we have recently been frequently chatting about the push for a new diagnosis of “profound autism.” Unfortunately, the autism community has been riddled with splits and controversies historically. None of the splits have helped Autistic people or their families, so we propose a common bond about the need to unite the spectrum."

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 10:24 am

BillyTree wrote:
We Are All on the Same Side: Unite the Spectrum

"Neurodiversity is the concept of large variations in how human brains perceive, process, and respond to the world around them. The human race is incredibly neurodiverse. Neurodivergent individuals differ more than the typical norm. Neurodivergent conditions include autism, ADHD, dyslexia, synesthesia, dyscalculia, Down syndrome, and others.

Along with neurodiversity, there has been a transition from a model of deficit, disorder, and disability to a more social construction focusing on strengths and making needed environmental and other adjustments to promote abilities to shine through. While espousing abilities-based ways of considering autism and other neurodivergent conditions, it is also important to hold space for the very real disabling challenges that can come with being Autistic or having other neurodivergent conditions in our society.

Relatedly, we have recently been frequently chatting about the push for a new diagnosis of “profound autism.” Unfortunately, the autism community has been riddled with splits and controversies historically. None of the splits have helped Autistic people or their families, so we propose a common bond about the need to unite the spectrum."

Lots of word play and semantics in the statement. The author makes an emotional poor attempt to disguise their real beliefs behind a lot of waffle.

It’s strange because autistic people are known for telling the truth although some it appears go out of the way to avoid this.

- George Bernie Shaw