Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 2:29 pm

Did anyone in the eastern part of the US get to see the eclipse?

We were just lucky, ie. directly under the path of it, so we didn't need to drive anywhere to get the full effect. The only downer - there was a small cloud over the sun where I was at so I missed what I was most excited to see which was the fractal crescent moon shadows people talk about.

Did anyone else catch both?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:02 pm

Not me ... I procrastinated on buying eclipse glasses, couldn't find any locally at the last minute that were certified and was not about to roll the dice. Just as well since I worked today, but it would have been cool to at least run outside for a bit to check it out at the peak, which was about 90% here.

I've had my windows open all afternoon and will say that the drop in temperature was more dramatic than I'd expected.

I guess after the earthquake, hail storms, etc. here last week and now the eclipse today, I'm sort of wondering what's next. Hopefully no plagues of locusts.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:13 pm

From a friend west of Montreal.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:32 pm

My dad and I out front:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:28 pm

blueroses wrote:
I guess after the earthquake, hail storms, etc. here last week and now the eclipse today, I'm sort of wondering what's next. Hopefully no plagues of locusts.

Yeah, I heard about that - NYC got a 4 point? I remember hearing from my teachers back in grade school that there's an east coast fault line that goes under NYC but it's not nearly as active as the Pacific side of North and South America.

Also yeah - I want to be able to walk in the evenings this summer without getting humped by cicadas.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:40 pm

"Get out on the deck, this is once in a lifetime ... " LOL, that made my day. God bless you both.

I think in NJ it was almost a five? Much milder out here, but even our newer buildings aren't built the way they are in, say, California or Taiwan, and we also have plenty of housing stock that's hundreds of years old, so it was definitely felt. I had no idea what it was until I got an alert on my phone, though. Weird week.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:53 pm

blueroses wrote:
"Get out on the deck, this is once in a lifetime ... " LOL, that made my day. God bless you both.

I think in NJ it was almost a five? Much milder out here, but even our newer buildings aren't built the way they are in, say, California or Taiwan, and we also have plenty of housing stock that's hundreds of years old, so it was definitely felt. I had no idea what it was until I got an alert on my phone, though. Weird week.

If first-born start dropping dead I guess we'll know what's up.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 6:38 pm

No, my mom, my NT sister and I didn't see the eclipse
but we did watch it on TV.

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2024, 8:51 pm

You would not believe the hell my family has been through but it paid off. We watched it and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:39 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
You would not believe the hell my family has been through but it paid off. We watched it and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Did you guys pack like Time Square into some field on a country road? I heard there were Army Corp concerns about this turning into a dozen Woodstocks worth of traffic jam on roads not meant to handle it.

(A dark comedic thought crossed my mind - someone's going to eventually say 'Yeah - I had to knock a guy out but I saw the eclipse!!')

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:56 pm

Would have been 90% here but it was nothing but clouds. There were no other noticeable effects either, like a noticeable dimness, or animals behaving differently, or a drop in temperature. Nothing. And I was outside for it.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 12:38 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
My dad and I out front:

awesome!...yes, you should save this...how did you get 107 subscribers? 8O

"your mom's watching it on tv"

"*sigh* "why???"

that was funny :P

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 6:30 am

ocean wrote:

"*sigh* "why???"

The back story there - she had one of those contact-reverse shoulder surgeries a few weeks ago. It went well and she's getting better (like 'up and around' better) but she wasn't dressed to come out front which was why I recommended the back deck.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:31 am

We had great weather and great skies yesterday even though there were clouds in the skies. We had a partial eclipse where the 88% of the sun was covered. Temp slightly dropped and we had a slightly dim orange color which was beautiful.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:56 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
blueroses wrote:

Yeah, I heard about that - NYC got a 4 point? I remember hearing from my teachers back in grade school that there's an east coast fault line that goes under NYC but it's not nearly as active as the Pacific side of North and South America.

Also yeah - I want to be able to walk in the evenings this summer without getting humped by cicadas.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 8:24 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
ocean wrote:

"*sigh* "why???"

The back story there - she had one of those contact-reverse shoulder surgeries a few weeks ago. It went well and she's getting better (like 'up and around' better) but she wasn't dressed to come out front which was why I recommended the back deck.

ohh so thats why

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light