Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 3:16 pm

Hi:
I feel invisible at work because my colleagues hate me and I think I know why. I work at a University and keep discussing my goals and what I want to pursue. I also feel like they don't understand autism that much even though they always preach about disability and inclusion.

We used to get along a lot better but lately, I feel like my colleagues have been incredibly rude and cold to me.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 4:30 pm

What kind of goals?I dont think it would be a good idea to talk about any goals such as starting a business and where you see yourself in 5 years.I would not lie but I would also not volunteer any info that may make the employer think I am thinking of leaving jobs or applying for other jobs.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:51 am

Goals:

I want to head to grad school and earn a master's and a PhD. I also would like to build up some skills sets and get into research especially since I have a talent in math.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 7:57 am

I'm not great at communication, but someone's own goals don't seem like a good topic to discuss with a coworker, and it makes you look like you're in a hurry to get away from them. Even future plans are inappropriate to discuss, especially if colleagues have no goals.

As I said at the beginning, I am not good at communication, so I cannot avoid the rudeness and indifference of people around me.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 8:26 am

It was never my intention to get away from them, rather, I have been talking about them for other reasons. One of those is because they have lots of connections. However, I will stay quiet and probably work on my goals on my own.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 9:39 am

You need to learn to talk about them instead of yourself.

Folks hire therapists so they can talk to someone and work through issues.
Your friends are not supposed to be therapists!

You can talk about a great vacation if that gives them ideas on what they can do on their next vacation.
Oh, I might want to do that.

You can talk about their hobbies, such as clothes shopping or gardening.
A lot of folks are talking about the eclipse.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 12:53 pm

I could work on talking about current events and things like current shows.

For instance, I am watching a new show called "The Regime," which stars Kate Winslet

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 1:57 pm

Just curious, what exactly is your job?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 10:04 pm

Yes, you could talk about a new show on TV. Some guys watch a little sports or at least read about the game last night so they don't get left out of conversations.