Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:17 pm

What have you successfully done to expand your comfort zone?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:22 pm

Noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones
Tinted glasses
Having lots of pets
Making a pillow fort with coloured lights
Years of OT and trauma therapy
Couples' therapy
Making friends online

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 12:11 pm

I can't say I've done anything. Just recently my therapist said I should talk to random people I come across, like cashiers or waiting in line, but I shy away from it whenever the opportunity arises. Even when someone talks to me first, I shy away from answering and answer as briefly as possible. But I do think it's a good idea, to get more comfortable with interacting with people. (She said to only try this with people over 50.)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 2:05 pm

I can't think of anything specific. I just seem to intuitively have a nose for possible discomfort when I'm planning to do anything or when people are suggesting I do anything, and if it seems like it'll make me uncomfortable I either dismiss the idea or try to figure out some way of making it less horrible. So it's more discomfort avoidance than expanding my comfort zone, though I guess it amounts to much the same thing.

I get sick of this "step out of your comfort zone" meme that so many people seem to accept and bandy around uncritically, because most memes seem to be only half true, and I'm usually already aware of the ideas they express. And the comfort one comes over as rather absurd because I'm hardly ever really comfortable to begin with. Not that I never accept anything that might be somewhat painful. If I think it might be worth it, I'll give it a fair hearing and sometimes I go ahead and give it a whirl. I think the meme is aimed at people who are very comfortable but very bored, and that's not me.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 2:14 pm

I don't really have a comfort zone, so nearly everything I have to do is outside of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 8:52 pm

This video has gotten me out of my comfort zone and has inspired me to choose love over fear. I even felt inspired to choose an avatar that represents love instead of fear. The 30s and 40s were a time of fear and the 1960s were a time of love.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 9:17 pm

Hope I won't get into trouble for this (trigger warning: caption contains the F word)