Still living with parents @ 27yo, what is my future?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

opensettings
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2024, 7:47 pm

Katatonic wrote:
Its incredibly hard out there these days. I'm 39 and am back at home. Its embarrassing, especially when all my peers have families and homes of their own. I came close to buying a house a few years ago, just before Covid, but lost out because of a house inspection that came back REALLY bad and the sellers refused to fix any of it. 2020 was even worse. House prices just keep getting worse and so did the interest rates. Rentals have skyrocketed...everything has really, and yet our pay is barely climbing, if at all in some fields.

I currently work retail and my pay has been capped for the last year and a half. I decided to start learning computer programming in hopes of someday landing a good paying job but even the tech industry is suffering right now with massive layoffs and too few open positions for the surge of new programmers coming in every year from all across the world.

Things won't be bad forever though. You just have to take things one day at a time. Don't give up.

I'm so sorry, that sucks read about the house and inspection. COVID really did a number on things.

How long were you on your own? And how are your parents about you moving back? (I don't mean to pry, no obligation to answer.)

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 6:19 pm

opensettings wrote:
Katatonic wrote:
Its incredibly hard out there these days. I'm 39 and am back at home. Its embarrassing, especially when all my peers have families and homes of their own. I came close to buying a house a few years ago, just before Covid, but lost out because of a house inspection that came back REALLY bad and the sellers refused to fix any of it. 2020 was even worse. House prices just keep getting worse and so did the interest rates. Rentals have skyrocketed...everything has really, and yet our pay is barely climbing, if at all in some fields.

I currently work retail and my pay has been capped for the last year and a half. I decided to start learning computer programming in hopes of someday landing a good paying job but even the tech industry is suffering right now with massive layoffs and too few open positions for the surge of new programmers coming in every year from all across the world.

Things won't be bad forever though. You just have to take things one day at a time. Don't give up.

I'm so sorry, that sucks read about the house and inspection. COVID really did a number on things.

How long were you on your own? And how are your parents about you moving back? (I don't mean to pry, no obligation to answer.)

I was on my own for several years living in various rental homes before moving back in with my parents. They had no problem with it and still don't. I'M the one with the problem lol. I still pay $500 rent though, which sucks cause I could be saving that for a down payment but oh well

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2024, 10:00 pm

opensettings wrote:
Hi all,

First time I am posting here so I apologize if there is anything I am doing wrong.

——————————————————————

I am a 27yo male living at home with my parents. I am located in the United States.

Currently, I have a job that I have been at for 3 years. Which I still can’t believe, I was resigned to the fact I would be unemployed forever.

My dilemma is that I know it won’t last. I can tell my employer is annoyed with me and I would be surprised if I last here much longer.

I can also feel my mental and physical health completely deteriorating. I am incredibly depressed and anxious. It has been bad like this in the past.

Is there a future for me? Is there any chance I can get on SSDI?

My parents say they don’t mind me living there, which I do think is partially true. But I know it would be better to move out and at some point they won’t be around.

Is there a positive outcome to this?

I wouldn't worry too much about moving out right now if I were you. Depending on where you live in the US you may be paying upwards of 70% of your income on rent. I hear the major metro areas in the US are just as expensive as it is here in Canada.

I would say work on the employment aspect of your life first, then when you are financially secure start looking to move out.