10 Apr 2024, 3:51 pm

You can't go wrong with NordVPN.

It is reasonably priced and very fast!

https://nordvpn.com/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 3:33 pm

Paid-for VPNs are generally thought to have better privacy, security and functionality than the free ones, but they still might not be perfect in those respects.

If you're particularly loathe to pay, I've read that ProtonVPN, Windscribe and TunnelBear are worth considering, but I've never used them. It's hard for me to recommend any VPN as being suitable for any particular individual because a lot depends on the person, and the criteria for choosing one are complex. Depends what you want to use it for.

I've used VPNgate and didn't notice any security or privacy problems, but how would I know if it was leaking? Functionality didn't seem that great - it was usually OK for browsing but some websites knew it was a VPN and they wouldn't play ball. And I don't think I got very far with downloading large files. And the region(s) I wanted to "be in" weren't always available to pick. The service depended on volunteers in various countries allowing me to use their computers as proxy servers, and sometimes they just didn't show up in the list.

All in all, I'd say act on any recommendation with caution, and research the criteria that matter most to you before paying out or running the program, though I'm not saying recommendations are necessarily wrong.

Tip: Microsoft locked me out of my email account when I ran a VPN without first closing my email client. It seems they were suspicious that I'd appeared to cross the Atlantic so quickly, and so they thought I'd been hacked. But then, some service providers can get nasty like that even if you just travel to another country. And I got them to let me back in again eventually. They might not have been such butts about it if I'd had 2-factor authentication. Facebook logged me out but didn't make it hard for me to log in again.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2024, 5:24 pm

I use ProtonVPN all the time on my cell phone and don't have any issues with it.

One thing that you can do is to route through two different sites to obscure the path a bit more. My cell phone, for example, currently is configured with entrance and exit points in the US and in Iceland.

On two occasions just for fun, I was on a computer in my office and connecting via ssh to a computer in the computer room across the hall. Instead of just connecting directly, I had it route my connection through Stockholm, Sweden and Tokyo, Japan. The first time I did this, I was surprised at the speed I was getting. The second time, it was noticeably slower.

For what it's worth, I have a Proton Visionary Plan which includes all their products and enhanced support. They are the best e-mail out there. Also, my storage space is 5.6 terabytes.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 6:17 pm

I've got Windscribe, Proton, Hide Me and Privado. In each case, it's the free version only, and they seem to work okay, though I don't really know how effective they are in maintaining privacy and security.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 6:26 pm

Don't free VPN's have a data limit?

The limit is usually so low as not to be usable for people who want an 'always on' VPN option.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 6:52 pm

^ I don't use them on a regular basis. I think the Windscribe, Privado and Hide Me VPNs give you 10GB per month, which is more than enouigh. Proton might actually be unlimited in fact.....

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 7:47 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ I don't use them on a regular basis. I think the Windscribe, Privado and Hide Me VPNs give you 10GB per month, which is more than enouigh. Proton might actually be unlimited in fact.....

If you don't have a paid account, Proton does have a handful of free VPNs you can use. I think their limits are on speeds, not total per month.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 8:25 pm

Not being very Techy ... but need protection....? Messed up my Proton vpn thingy passwords and stuff ,, and old brain.. not best combo ..scared of Nord.. got too many solicitations for accounts I never had , into my email..felt like phishing attack stuff....Feels like my emaill addy is a dumping ground for solicitations being vomited out of there IP depts / servers ...kinda burned out on lotsa stuff.Still did the 2 factor-ed everything important. ,one site seems like 3 factor stuff.occassionally. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are