There's a store called Target in the US and Australia.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 10:03 am

Both the United States and Australia have discount stores called Target. However while the two stores are both called Target, have similar logos, and sell similar stuff, they are not related. They are completely different companies that happen to share the same name and logo.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 1:28 pm

Huh, did not know that. Guess it is one of those “different country, different laws, different copyright/trademark jurisdiction” type things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Australia

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... ec1b90bec9

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 1:42 pm

There was a Target in Canada 10 years ago but they closed down.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 1:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There was a Target in Canada 10 years ago but they closed down.

Yes, the United States Target chain tried to expand into Canada, but Target was unsuccessful there.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 10:10 pm

The Targets here have started to sell anko products, something I thought only KMart did.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 9:44 am

Interesting.

There is a "Giant Food" chain of great big grocery stores in Pennsylvania, and a "Giant Food" Chain of great big grocery stores in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area. But they have different trademarks. But they ARE related. They broke apart years ago. BUT now they are both run by the same larger corporation. I think what happened was that the DC area Giant was bought and run by the Dutch company Ahold for some years ...before Ahold sold it to the American company that now also runs the other Giant.

There was a south Asian gentleman in India who started a chain of burger joints in India that was a clone of McDonalds (complete with Ronald McDonald figures in the restaurants). It served goat burgers instead of beefburgers. That was the only difference. That was some years ago. It made the news in the US because of contraversy. Dont know if he got away with the plagerism long after that or not. But if someone in Australia can get away with cloning Target then ...he might still be there selling goat burgers under his copy of the golden arches, and entertaining the kiddies with his clone of Ronald McDonald. :lol:

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 10:35 am

There's also Kmart in Australia. Unlike with the Australian Target, the Australian Kmart was historically connected to the United States Kmart, but the two split up.

They don't have Walmart in Australia, but they have a discount store called Big W.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 12:53 pm

I was reading that Australian Kmart and Australian Target are both owned by the same company.

I am currently working for Merck a big pharmaceutical and biotech/life-sciences company in Germany. There is also a Merck in the USA which is also a large company in many of the same types of businesses. They are currently separate but once we’re connected. During WWI the US and Germany were at war. The president of the United States seized the assets of German Merck. Merck was a family name and one of the Merck brothers was in charge of U.S. Merck and he had every right to his own name, as did the other brother still in Germany. So then there were two Merck companies. All these years later there are still two, and with globalization they now both operate worldwide. They fight over which one is the “real Merck”. In the U.S. Merck has the right to the Merck name, and in other countries must use the name MSD (or Merck Sharp & Dohme). In Europe German Merck has the right to the name Merck, but in the USA (and Canada) must use the name EMD (Emanuel Merck, Darmstadt). I currently live in Pennsylvania USA, but work for German Merck.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merck_Group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merck_%26_Co%2E

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 9:58 pm

Fenn wrote:
I was reading that Australian Kmart and Australian Target are both owned by the same company.
That's quite possibly true, it explains why I've seen anko products in both Target and Kmart.

New Time, you mentioned Big W. There's one near where I live. I usually go there to buy drinks at a discounted price.