Why are 12 and a half size shoes so hard to find?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 4:13 am

It's hard for me to find size 5, 51/2 and 6, which depending on the shoe are the sizes I am looking for, seems shoe sizes are not always consistent. I always run into 7 or 6 being the smallest they have and sometimes the 6's are too big but then of course they don't have anything smaller.

The only place I have gone that seems to just magically have every size of shoes, is the vans store, so my most recent pair are vans because I litterally could not find my size anywhere else...I wasn't particularly after skate shoes lol as I can't even skateboard but it was the only store that had a size that fit and I found some with a sort of leopard print I liked ok.

Anyways seems like extra large, and extra small shoes are hard to find and it sucks for people who need those sizes.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 4:16 am

@New Time

Do they sell shoes at the "Big and Tall Men's Stores"?

If so they might specialize in the big end of the shoe size range like 12 and1/2.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 4:58 am

Random shoe knowledge:

Infant sizes run 1-12 with no half sizes. Children's shoes start over at size 1-6. Adult shoes run from size 6 and up.

Anything over 12 is considered an uncommon size, and typically does not come in half sizes. Most major brands jump straight from 12 to 13, 14, 15 etc - but no 12.5, 13.5, 14.5, etc. Shoe stores usually only keep 1-2 pairs of any given shoe in a size 12 or larger. Anything above 13 is extremely rare to find on the shelf, and usually has to be ordered.

If you wear a size 6 or smaller, you may need a kid's shoe. If you wear a size 13 or larger, you may need to special-order shoes. Rack-Room only goes up to 12. Payless often goes up to 13 or 14. Many major brands can special-order larger sizes. Half sizes above 12 do sometimes exist, but are rare, and often bespoke. Given the lack of half sizes common above size 12, it is often necessary to either find a 12 that runs big, a 13 that runs small, or to just lace the 13s up tighter.

Most men's shoes come in a D width, while women's shoes tend to come in a C width. Women's shoes are often sized 1 to 1.5 sizes different from men's. Someone who wears a size 9 in men's would usually wear a size 10 / 10.5 in women's. This does not apply to kid's shoes sized 1-6.

Not all shoes are sized the same, and it's common to need different sizes from different brands. Nike tends to be cut narrow compared to other shoes. New Balance has the option to get shoes in both narrower or wider widths. Skate shoes are often cut wider.

I wear a size 13 extra-wide. I'm a size 13 by length, but a size 15 by width. It is not easy to find shoes if you are above a size 12.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2024, 8:15 am

NewTime wrote:
This is the shoe size I wear and I often have trouble finding shoes this size. Do I really have such a rare size of foot?

At one shoe store I went to, someone even claimed that the size 12 and a half in shoes is skipped. I know that is false.

That depends on if you are taking about US or UK size. I have a couple of shoes I bought this spring that are 47 EU size. That is 11,5 UK size and 12,5 US size.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 9:14 pm

try finding 14 5x wide for a challenge.

PineappleLobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2024, 7:20 pm

I found out recently the big shoe store near me doesn’t carry my size (11-12 US in women’s), i know the struggle
And their smallest shoe size they carry is only like a 6

Guess they don’t think people can have big or tiny feet

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 7:31 pm

Maybe Trump should start specializing in selling his gold plated shoes with his name on it in the under served 12.5 size and bigger market...and clean up!

And get the vote of ...big tall Americans as well!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 16 Apr 2024, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 7:35 pm

But to be honest...maybe you're just gonna have to face it...

https://youtu.be/in1eK3x1PBI

I think that Fats is actually giving you a left handed compliment.

Because you know what they say [cough!] about men with big feet.