Is it harder for autistic people to know they are getting...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2024, 9:00 pm

Is it harder for autistic people to know they are getting traumatized? Why?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 12:23 am

Naivete......trust.. wanting to believe in the original concept of the tribe members ensuring the survival of the tribe?
It is pragmatic... but that is just not how. NTs often veiw group situations . it has appeared to me over the course of a life.. Whats worse.. my pragmatism is a tougher deal to overcome than my naivete. Wish it were not so . :ninja:
this set back all by itself has often has caused me to be a target for some real bad people .

where ever you go ,there you are

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2024, 4:09 pm

we often have a disconnected relationship with our feelings.
One theory of autism focuses on these links in the brain I think.

This condition is called alexithymia. It can be good and bad.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 4:40 pm

Its a darn shame .. cause it ,, physically hurts ( the very concept ) of real hope sometimes .!.. Almost causes me to wonder if Many humans have no soul as in humane spirit....left in them .? imho

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 4:50 pm

[
And this is certainly not a topic that any Aspie , would want to Entertain ..! But it is a reality, And not all of us are created equal .. Some will fair worse than others and even some might not survive of will not survive this type of stuff.
Gotta wonder if there should be some kind of protections for these people in a modern Civilization .
quote="Jakki"]Its a darn shame .. cause it ,, physically hurts ( the very concept ) of real hope sometimes .!.. Almost causes me to wonder if Many humans have no soul as in humane spirit....left in them .? imho[/quote]

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:00 pm

Autistic or not, I'm not sure people always realize they're being traumatized as it's happening.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:11 pm

I didn't have a clue with some of mine, because I took their BS at face value.
When I spoke up I was gaslit and told I was wrong, or that it was my fault.
Sometimes I didn't speak up at all but blamed myself anyway.

I knew my violent trauma was traumatic because it was violent.
Even then, I kind of blamed myself because that's what they groomed me to do.

Mindgames and manipulation were harder to understand or detect.

Sometimes entire systems were involved (police, courts, etc.)
I assumed they were "right" and I was "wrong", and I should trust them.
Only later did I find out there was collusion involved.

I didn't even know cPTSD existed when I was developing it.
This was pre-internet, at least at the start.

I think it's different for everyone, depending what they've experienced.
It's hard to judge what's acceptable behaviour in others, especially NTs.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:27 pm

Even though things that I went through were awful at the time, I didn’t realize that the effects would be as long-lasting as they’ve been. Sometimes I disassociated during episodes that were objectively awful which made them seem less bad while they were happening although they proved to be just as traumatic in the long run. When people are focused on survival/safety, emotions aren’t given primacy too.

I’m not sure how much of my experience is related to autism and how much of it is just part of normal, human psychology during extreme circumstances.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 3:48 pm

It's especially hard for children when traumatic treatment is normalized and/or caused by their primary caregivers or support system of teachers, relatives, etc. and they don't experience life in any other way to know the difference. Sometimes kids are subject to neglect, abandonment, or physical and emotional trauma without exposure to more healthy dynamics. This might happen in programs like ABA, where autistic kids are taught to be NT against their natural neurology.

The earliest trauma I remember was SA by a friend of the family when I was seven. I knew I didn't like it and I was upset / scared, but I got in trouble for telling the person to F-Off so I didn't tell anyone why I cursed. I assumed I was bad because I got in trouble, and I wasn't even old enough to know his behaviours were highly illegal / immoral / traumatizing. Dissociation played a part too, like TP mentioned.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2024, 9:43 am

Jakki wrote:
Naivete......trust.. wanting to believe in the original concept of the tribe members ensuring the survival of the tribe?
It is pragmatic... but that is just not how. NTs often veiw group situations . it has appeared to me over the course of a life.. Whats worse.. my pragmatism is a tougher deal to overcome than my naivete. Wish it were not so . :ninja:
this set back all by itself has often has caused me to be a target for some real bad people .

How would you say NTs view group situations in your experiences? Can you give a few examples?