Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DH Rider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2024, 4:42 am

I need an affordable printer for a book I am working on that is a cross between a fanzine, a graphic novel and old school collage. I need to print out graphic design elements that I can then cut, manipulate, and paste into a collage or canvas.

I've heard of the Epson Ecotank system, but was wondering if there is a better product out here, or if there are still some printers or cartridges that can be easily hacked to take 3rd party ink and will not automatically turn into a brick at an arbitrary date.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated since it's been forever since I owned a printer. Thanks!

MoeTrashPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Today, 11:35 am

I'm subscribing to this post because I too am wondering what printers people suggest. ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ

I bought an Epson Envy printer in 2018 ~ and have had the worst time getting it to print a clear image. It prints well, is easy to clean, and has an ink subscription service, but it ALWAYS has little bands that pop up in the print job. Because of this, I haven't really been able to use the printer ʕ; •`ᴥ•´ʔ.

Let me know if you find a good printer! Good luck in the search!

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 12:14 pm

An issue is having the proper print driver for your printer.
I've recall having a Canon printer that didn't work for a while until they finally provided a driver for my semi-old operating system.
Similarly, I have an old Nikon D70 camera. They have RAW software, but only for Win 10 and 11, so I bought a new Win 11 computer to use it!
The print driver on my Chromebox disappeared. I couldn't find it on the install options.
I wrote a note and was able to use the printer again a few weeks later.
No, I didn't hear back from anyone. At least it works again.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

Today, 12:55 pm

To cover the base, I need to ask if you are doing the alignment procedure on these printers? This should be done when you first install the printer and then when you replace the ink cartridge(s). At least at those times. If you are getting banding in your images, perform the alignment again. It is supposed to eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, banding.

Btw, I have used Epson printers for many years and have gotten good results.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

MoeTrashPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Today, 1:22 pm

NeilM wrote:
To cover the base, I need to ask if you are doing the alignment procedure on these printers? This should be done when you first install the printer and then when you replace the ink cartridge(s). At least at those times. If you are getting banding in your images, perform the alignment again. It is supposed to eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, banding.

Btw, I have used Epson printers for many years and have gotten good results.

Thanks for your response! Yes, I have ran the alignment procedure multiple times, along with taking some isopropyl alcohol and wiping down the nozzles, wiping down the cartridges, changing the cartridges, running diagnostic runs, etc.

Any other thoughts after hearing this? I've googled this model and looked up different forums and haven't found any solid solution yet. The printer just sits in my closet now because it is frustrating to work on it haha

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ