Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2024, 10:24 am

Every adult thinks I am stealing interests from people who are "lower functioning", namely Looney Tunes, Nintendo, Japanese Culture and specific childhood colours. I wish they believed that I truly DO like these things, but no one believes me... :cry:

I'm also considering leaving the Looney Tunes fandom and divorcing Elmer since it's an unoriginal thing to like :cry:

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 10:30 am

That's not true. The adults around you are toxic, and don't really know what they're talking about. Also...who the hell thinks that Japanese Culture is childish to like??? That's really the dumbest thing I ever heard.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this, and one day you are around much more positive people. Not every person is like that.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 10:43 am

honeytoast wrote:
That's not true. The adults around you are toxic, and don't really know what they're talking about. Also...who the hell thinks that Japanese Culture is childish to like??? That's really the dumbest thing I ever heard.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this, and one day you are around much more positive people. Not every person is like that.

Japanese culture is fascinating, they're a very intelligent group of people who have long been at the forefront of science, technology and structured society.

I noticed that the hobbies and interests of people with autism come under more scrutiny than NT hobbies and interests. Many people just don't "get it" when it comes to why autistics have a preference, not realising the reasons behind it.

A lot are just judgmental rather than ignorant though. Any hobby someone "different" takes a fancy too can become a "troubling obsession" that needs to be closely monitored in their eyes. I don't see how any autistics interest in well written cartoons is worse than an NT's interest in metal detecting or pottery. Might be worth reminding them of that if the subject is ever brought up.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 12:09 pm

It seems a very strange thing for somebody to express disbelief in - "I'm really interested in this" - "No you're not." Don't see what they have to gain, except sadistic pleasure.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 12:37 pm

"Japanese culture" is not in the same category as Looney Tunes cartoons. Many adults, NT and ND, are captivated by Japanese culture (both modern and ancient). In fact it seems quite chic these days.

Many adults like cartoon shows. Sis and I occasionally watch DVDS of the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons from our childhood in the Sixties. And IN THE SIXTIES dad would watch the live action "Our Gang" comedies on TV from HIS childhood in the 1930s (Spanky, Alfalfa, Steimy, and all that) which make Looney Tunes Cartoons look like Masterpiece Theater on PBS.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 2:23 pm

Those people will be shocked when they encounter autistic adults who like trains or dinosaurs.

Like whatever you like, no one's approval matters.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2024, 2:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Japanese culture" is not in the same category as Looney Tunes cartoons. Many adults, NT and ND, are captivated by Japanese culture (both modern and ancient). In fact it seems quite chic these days.

Many adults like cartoon shows. Sis and I occasionally watch DVDS of the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons from our childhood in the Sixties. And IN THE SIXTIES dad would watch the live action "Our Gang" comedies on TV from HIS childhood in the 1930s (Spanky, Alfalfa, Steimy, and all that) which make Looney Tunes Cartoons look like Masterpiece Theater on PBS.

I didn't say that. I'm saying I like sushi and pocky and Sanrio and (when I can finally be alone with no rules) anime. It kind of seems like a stereotype now that I type it out.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 6:10 pm

Have you ever thought about moving out?

~~~~

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2024, 6:15 pm

honeytoast wrote:

I don't want to

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 6:46 pm

These adults who are criticizing you might think that they are being helpful, but they are not. There is nothing wrong with your interests.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 7:37 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

I don't want to

Why?

~~~~

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2024, 11:17 am

honeytoast wrote:
ElmersTrueLove wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

I don't want to

Why?

I have too many memories and too many things to pack

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2024, 11:17 am

I AM SO SICK OF BEING TOLD LOONEY TUNES ISN'T MY OWN INTEREST!! !! !

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 12:54 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
too many things to pack

Good answer. Moving house can involve an eye-wateringly huge amount of hard work. I think I'm too old to sell my UK home.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 1:07 pm

As I get older and lose more hair, people have been telling me I need to be out shooting wascally wabbits.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 1:29 pm

"Fantasy football" is socially acceptable in male circles. But not "fantasy naval warfare".

Its easier to get into conversation with work mates about NFL teams that never met on the field than it is to invite speculation on how "The USS Iowa [our most advanced battleship of WWII] would hold up, mano y mano, against the Japanese Yamato[ the biggest battleship of that, or of any time]". But the later event is what I was (and still am to some extent) fascinated by, not football. So I just dont talk about it.

You might work on figuring how to relate your narrow obsession to ...other things in the broad world to make it more relatable to others in conversation. We all have to sell ourselves to the world, NTs as well as us. Even to sell ourselves as conversation-worthy.

Like maybe take up watching the Simpsons, which IS socially acceptable to be into, just so you can become a conneiseur of cartoon TV shows in general (and can talk like a critic on both Looney Tunes and King of the Hill or South Park).

Twilight Princess said she got into classical music from watching Elmer Fudd (he sings opera more than once).

In fact you might be able to turn the tables...talk about composers of pieces you see Looney Tunes characters perform (like Wagner, and Verdi) and make others feel ...like ignorant low brows ...envious of your intellect!