Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 11:38 am

Major 911 outages in 4 states leave millions without a way to contact local authorities

Quote:
Law enforcement agencies across four states were left scrambling following reports of major 911 outages that saw millions unable to contact authorities late Wednesday.

Many of the outages — reported in Nebraska, Nevada, South Dakota and Texas — were restored by the late evening.

So far, there’s no indication that the outages were caused by a cyberattack or other malicious act, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Thursday.

While the Federal Communications Commission continues to investigate, the outages appear to be related to Lumen Technologies, a spokesperson for the communications and telecom company said.

Wednesday's outage comes on the heels of a widespread AT&T outage in February that left thousands without service across multiple states, and impacted some calls to 911 for hours, which the carrier said was likely caused by a process error — not a cyberattack.

Lumen Technologies told Douglas County 911 on the cause that “there was a fiber cut, but they did not disclose the location of the damage,” Kathy Allen, the director of Douglas County 911, said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman