Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PineappleLobster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2024, 9:34 pm

Howwwww do people deal with this??
Candles, body spray/perfume, air fresheners, diffusers… Eugh. They make the whole room smell unfamiliar.

Usually i can just go into a different room if someone lit a candle or something, but not if my room, smells like one of my least favorite scents. It currently does.

Do people just endure the odor when they can’t leave?

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2024, 10:36 pm

Have you tried explaining to your roommate how much it bothers you?
Two people sharing a space need to be able to communicate about what they need. (Easier said than done; my current roommate and I don't talk at all.) Unfortunately not everything can be solved by drawing a line through the middle of the room.
Restaurants used to have "smoking sections" and if you didn't smoke you sat somewhere else. Of course that doesn't work because the smoke goes everywhere.
I guess I'm not being that helpful here, but if you have to live with this person you'll need to respect each other's right to be comfortable in that space. If they won't listen, maybe a parent could facilitate that discussion? Also I know it sounds dumb, but drawing up an agreement can really help. I'm sure both of you have things that would make you uncomfortable in your room, so agreeing on some basic rules can make everyone more able to live there.
I say this without having had much success in this area either, but that's because in college you have to live with a total stranger which makes everything a thousand times worse.
I hope this works out for you.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2024, 12:33 am

*barf* yeah I can see how that would be bad. Thankfully things like laundry detergent, deodorant, and some other stuff comes in unscented variety's or just a very faint smell.

redallen32
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2024, 11:42 am

I'm currently dealing with a similar situation at my work since they installed air fresheners, I've actually been written up for "communication issues" because I've been complaining about how the smell is making me literally get sick. What I've done that has helped somewhat, is surround my space with a smell that I can tolerate. For me, I like things that smell clean (the air fresheners that were installed are a fake fruity smell and I can't deal with those types of smells), so all around my space at work, I have put down dryer sheets. I'd much rather not have to deal with any smell at all, but if you're in a situation like me, after talking with the person you're sharing a space with, they won't adjust their smells for you, you can always try to put something with some kind of smell around you that you can handle.