Need advice for a friend

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 8:50 pm

I had to call an ambulance for my online friend Wednesday. They live 4 states away from me. It is their second trip to a psych ward in two months.

The last few years have taken their toll on my friends mental health. They suffer from borderline personality disorder, and also have an eating disorder. A couple years ago they stopped prescribing them a medication that was helping, due to it's link to dementia. They haven't been able to find a medication to help them stay calm ever since.

My friend lives all alone and has cousins nearby, but they can only help so much. Their eating disorder makes them quite heavy, which makes it hard to function as it is. They are also most likely autistic. Which makes doing things on their own even more difficult.

I have known them for 15 years now. They are my best friend. I am afraid they won't last the rest of this year without help. I can give them good advice. But I don't have any resources to send them. I have never owned a cellphone. So I have never used any apps that might help them.

If you have any advice on apps or forums, or whatever might help my friend. It would be much appreciated. If I lose my friend, it will be as bad as losing a family member.

They live in El Paso, Texas. Just in case you might know of any resources in their area.

Thanks in advance. :)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 4:11 am

You sir, are a good friend.

I wish I had some advice to give. I don't know how you help over that sort of distance beyond what you're already doing. I see that it feels inadequate.

Are you in contact with their cousins at all? Can you communicate to them how concerned you are for your friend?

Perhaps someone a bit more familiar with what support is available in the US/Texas might be able to help. I hope so.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 4:51 am

DuckHairback wrote:
You sir, are a good friend.

I wish I had some advice to give. I don't know how you help over that sort of distance beyond what you're already doing. I see that it feels inadequate.

Are you in contact with their cousins at all? Can you communicate to them how concerned you are for your friend?

Perhaps someone a bit more familiar with what support is available in the US/Texas might be able to help. I hope so.

No, I have never spoken with their cousins. Due to their BPD they have severe social anxiety and trust issues. I have asked for their cousins number before, but they wouldn't give it to me.

I know it is a long shot asking about a friend online. I am just out of ideas myself. Thanks for the reply. I may ask my friend again for their number when they get home. I am desperate to help my friend, if I can.