Harvey Weinstein’s NY rape conviction overturned

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 12:52 pm

Harvey Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction overturned by New York appeals court

Quote:
Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction was overturned Thursday in New York, making way for a new trial.

The state Court of Appeals found that the judge in the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced the former film mogul with improper rulings, including a decision to let women testify about allegations that weren’t part of the case.

“We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes because that testimony served no material non-propensity purpose,” the court said in a 4-3 decision.

“The court compounded that error when it ruled that defendant, who had no criminal history, could be cross examined about those allegations as well as numerous allegations of misconduct that portrayed defendant in a highly prejudicial light,” it said.

Judge Jenny Rivera called the errors “egregious” and said the remedy is a new trial. Weinstein's accusers could again be called to testify.

Attorney Lindsay Goldbrum, who represented six Weinstein accusers, said the decision was a "leap backward for the rule of law" and could deter future sexual assault victims from coming forward.

“To all victims of sexual assault who are retraumatized by today’s ruling, I am so sorry," said Goldbrum, whose clients included model Tarale Wulff, who testified that Weinstein raped her at his Manhattan apartment in 2005 after having lured her there with talk of a movie audition

A spokesperson for the Manhattan District Attorney's Office said it "will do everything in our power to retry this case, and remain steadfast in our commitment to survivors of sexual assault."

Douglas H. Wigdor, an attorney who has represented eight Weinstein accusers, slammed the decision and said it "is a major step back in holding those accountable for acts of sexual violence."

"Courts routinely admit evidence of other uncharged acts where they assist juries in understanding issues concerning the intent, modus operandi or scheme of the defendant," he said in a statement.

Wigdor said that overturning the conviction was "tragic in that it will require the victims to endure yet another trial."

Judge Madeline Singas, in a dissenting opinion, accused the majority of "whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative" and failing to recognize that the jury was allowed to consider Weinstein's past assaults.

"This Court has continued a disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence," Singas wrote.

In a separate dissenting opinion, Judge Anthony Cannataro said the decision was an “unfortunate step backwards."

Weinstein, 72, has been serving a 23-year sentence in a New York prison following his conviction on charges of criminal sex act for forcibly performing oral sex on a TV and film production assistant in 2006 and rape in the third degree for an attack on an aspiring actor in 2013.

Weinstein’s lawyer, Arthur Aidala, said the decision was a "victory" for his client and "every criminal defendant in the United States of America."

Weinstein also faced charges in Los Angeles and was convicted in 2022 of rape and sentenced to 16 years in prison. He was acquitted of a count of sexual battery in that case

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 4:49 pm

Well dayum...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Wigdor said that overturning the conviction was "tragic in that it will require the victims to endure yet another trial."

Judge Madeline Singas, in a dissenting opinion, accused the majority of "whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative" and failing to recognize that the jury was allowed to consider Weinstein's past assaults.

"This Court has continued a disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence," Singas wrote.

In a separate dissenting opinion, Judge Anthony Cannataro said the decision was an “unfortunate step backwards."
That’s horrible news for the victims. Going through trials can be just as traumatic as the SA itself, and the time factor hampers people’s lives, making it that much more difficult to move forward and feel a sense of closure. So many victims of SA don’t come forward at all because of how daunting and humiliating the process can be.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 7:17 pm

I am not a lawyer but I was shocked when I read the reason because "Courts routinely admit evidence of other uncharged acts where they assist juries in understanding issues concerning the intent, modus operandi or scheme of the defendant,"

What is very concerning is what was said in the dissenting opinion "This Court has continued a disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Apr 2024, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 7:49 pm

How insane...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 9:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
What is very concerning is what was said in the dissenting opinion "This Court has continued a disturbing trend of overturning juries’ guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence"

Yeah, it could make some women less likely to report. The prospect of something like this happening is a horrible possibility to face.

My ex was deemed not guilty when he was on trial for rape before I met him even though there was plenty of evidence. I know from experience how failures in justice can lead to more victims.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 9:51 pm

This is proof that we have two different justice systems: one for rich white men, and one for everybody else.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 4:49 am

I wish we adopted the kind of justice rich people faced in ancient cultures. If they committed a crime, they got it worse than a poor person commiting that same crime because they were held to a higher standard because of their wealth and status.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.