Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 8:58 am

Sword-wielding man arrested near station after 'stabbing' multiple people and police officers

Quote:
A critical incident has been declared in northeast London after reports a man wielding a sword attacked members of the public and police officers, leading to the death of a 14-year-old boy.

The man crashed a vehicle into a house in Thurlow Gardens, before reportedly stabbing a number of people, police said.

The 36-year-old was alleged to have attacked members of the public and two police officers before eventually being arrested.

Five people were injured, including the teenage boy.

Two members of the public remain in hospital with injuries that Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell said weren't life-threatening.

Fire and rescue crews as well as a number of ambulances were also dispatched to the scene.

London Ambulance Service said they treated five people at the scene, and took all five to hospital.

The condition of those injured is not currently known and officers are not looking for other suspects.

Hainault Tube station in Ilford has been closed by police after the incident.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: "I am absolutely devastated by the news from Hainault this morning.

"I remain in constant contact with the commissioner. A man has been arrested and the area secured.

"The police are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident. There will be additional reassurance patrols in the area”.

Police said the attack did not appear to be terror related.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 12:11 pm

My brother and his wife are traveling to England by the end of this week. How worried should I be for them??

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 12:14 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
My brother and his wife are traveling to England by the end of this week. How worried should I be for them??

Not at all. London is a very safe city and England is very safe in general.

Random violence can happen anywhere, unfortunately, but but they're no more likely to experience it in London than anywhere else.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 2:51 pm

^ It depends on which part of London one is in. There are some parts of London with streets where a person is at higher risk of knife crime than in other places. Another bad place for that is Manchester but also any big city can have this issue, usually.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 3:34 pm

How often does this happen? Sword swinging lunatics in the UK? Once a century? Once a century in a country of 60 million plus people?

If you're an American visiting the UK you are leaving a country with a murder rate 6.4 per 100K of the population to visit a country with a murder rate of one per 100K. you're in six times more danger of being murdered if you stay home then if you visit the UK. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:16 pm

The U.K. needs stronger, more effective sword-control laws.

However, when swords are outlawed, only outlaws will have swords.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
How often does this happen? Sword swinging lunatics in the UK? Once a century? Once a century in a country of 60 million plus people?

If you're an American visiting the UK you are leaving a country with a murder rate 6.4 per 100K of the population to visit a country with a murder rate of one per 100K. you're in six times more danger of being murdered if you stay home then if you visit the UK. :lol:

Ironically, the murder rates that involve guns are most likely to occur in the places where gun laws are the strongest, i.e, places like New York.

But yes, the UK is generally a safer place than the US, overall.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
The U.K. needs stronger, more effective sword-control laws.

:lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 4:22 am

Fnord wrote:

Unless we allow the police to carry swords. Which would be visually interesting if nothing else.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 7:43 am

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a sword is a good guy with a sword, .....

or a halbert, or a mace, or a crossbow, or a longbow, or a star-of-Bethlehem (a mace in which the business end is attached to the handle by a swinging chain), or a pike, or a blunderbuss, or [fill in whatever other middle ages/Renaissance weapon of you can think of].

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 12:58 pm

I don't know if my brother and sil are going to spend much time in London or not. My mother told me they're planning to see Stonehenge, though.

Seriously, there are terrorists and murderers everywhere. Things could turn into chaos without warning at any second. According to the travel advisory on the Government of Canada's website, it's actually safer to go to the USA than to the UK. :(

__Elijahahahaho
Raven
Raven

02 May 2024, 1:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
How often does this happen? Sword swinging lunatics in the UK? Once a century? Once a century in a country of 60 million plus people?:

Only if you sample in the last 300 years lol, before then I guess the rate of sword swinging lunatics increases dramatically, maybe this poor man was a time traveller from a battle, confused and lost?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 2:35 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't know if my brother and sil are going to spend much time in London or not. My mother told me they're planning to see Stonehenge, though.

No one has been murdered at Stonehenge since the druids stopped doing ritual sacrifices there on the altar stone. They'll be fine.