Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 10:42 pm

Been working at home Depot for three and a half years as a Lot Attendant. Pushing carts and loading merchandise in the parking lot

Home Depot (at least, that one) has at least two standby cops at all times.

The other cops never bothered me. And there were plenty of other cops.

Officer DEH asked my name a couple of weeks ago and I told him. He then had the nerve to ask which Asian I was (how politically incorrect) and I told him. He said he thought I was Vietnamese instead of Chinese

A couple of times later he said hi.

Today he bothered me three times(!).

(1) On the loudspeaker he had the nerve to say "sup (my first name).". I didn't want to seem too curt, so I approached and waved. "Drink plenty of water". "They have water in the break room". "Really?". Then I left

(2) He told me that plenty of customers ask him where the carts are. (Lot Attendants are only supposed to push carts to the "main" entrance and Garden, not the Lumber entrance. He asked a "favor" that I push four carts to the Lumber entrance and I told him that I have to push carts to the main entrance and Garden, and there is no way to keep four carts at the Lumber entrance at all times. He said, not "at all times", just at that time. Which didn't make sense because there was nothing special about that particular time, but "pick your battles". (Some people pick all the battles). And later I put four carts where he wanted them and he gave me a "thumbs up ".

(3) After that he told me that he likes cold water and asked if I do too and I said "no"

Does it sound like he wanted to be my "friend", like he was autistic, or whatever?

I didn't want to be harsh, but he was bothering me while I was trying to work. The only thing I saw him doing was sitting in his car and it didn't look (to me ) like he was working

He was bothering me and he acted like he was doing me a favor or something

Plenty of my coworkers and his coworkers, waste large amounts of time standing around flapping their traps, but I am not one of them

JamesW
Raven
Raven

06 May 2024, 6:11 am

Hi SFBUM.

I don't think he means any harm. Yes, it sounds like he wants to be friends, but he isn't necessarily good at knowing how. He may be autistic or not. He probably can't work out that you are autistic. Neurotypicals can be irritating too.

He might be a good person to have on your side. If he is irritating you too much any time, maybe try saying something like 'Thanks for looking out for me. But I'd better do some work right now. People are watching.'

There is a God.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:52 pm

based on previous interactions, it did not appear to me that he meant any "harm". however, things are not always the way they appear. home depot hires convicted felons. plenty of home depot customers have no manners. some police officers have literally gotten away with murder. the requirements for becoming a police officer are much higher than for lot attendant (my job). police officers need to pass background investigations, medical exams, physical fitness tests, and oral interviews. due to autism or any other reasons, there is no way i could pass any of them. (the written test is just grammar school reading and writing.) besides, there is no way that i could work a rotating schedule, work on call, physically fight with suspects, or drive a police car, or anything like that.

plenty of precious lil "people" are not good at knowing how to be friends. that includes me. that doesn't give him an excuse to bother me. there is no way for me to "know" if he is autistic or has any diagnosis like that, b/c i do not have a legal "right" to access his medical record, nor do i have the moral "right" to assign diagnoses. plenty of neurotypicals are irritating. he is just being "true" to himself. the vast majority of extroverts know *nothing* about autism, but they act like they know everything.

yes, he might be good to have on my side.

yesterday, i was trying to push three shopping carts from the Contractor doors to the main entrance (what i am supposed to do, according to the head cashier), and that annoying lil dipshit, Officer DEH, had the nerve to bark @ me "what are you doing? go push the other carts." he only bothered me once. but whatever. cops get away with all sorts of s**t, such as murder. he was just verbally rude to me. there is nobody to tattle to.