Forgiving People Who Picked On You As A Child

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:09 pm

As an adult years later, would you have it in you to forgive the people who may have teased or picked on you in high school or grade school? Have you ever run into former classmates who are now adults who regretted the way they acted years ago?

GypsysOdyssey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2007, 11:12 pm

Well, in becoming more spiritual, I learned forgiveness is more of a gift to yourself then anyone else. I've forgiven the children who tortured me in school because they were just kids. I have a little harder time forgiving the teachers for making my life hell, over punishing me, and allowing and sometimes even encouraging the other kids to pick on me.

I haven't run into too many of the people I used to go to school with, though I did run into one about three years ago at a pet store. Now that I'm grown, ditched the dorky short haircut and got contacts this person decided I was good enough to ask out. I turned him down immediatly. It's petty, but man did that feel good!

username88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:17 pm

I sort of see why they would pick on me.. What NT could resist? So I dont really feel that angry about them anymore.. Unless its someone who currently gives me s**t or if they are a threat to me in any way.

weird_el
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2007, 11:31 pm

I have no forgiveness for them. In fact, I hope they grew up to lead a life of crime and ended up as someone's prison b***h.

I do have forgiveness for anyone who has ever wronged me and actually came around and said they were sorry. It's that easy.

GoatMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2007, 11:34 pm

Those guys tried to hit me with a car five years after they bullied me...

There will be no forgiveness, and no mercy.

Study like a scholar
Act like a gentleman
Dress like a soldier

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm

weird_el wrote:
I have no forgiveness for them. In fact, I hope they grew up to lead a life of crime and ended up as someone's prison b***h.

The path you describe is what many of my bullies ended up going down. I've had occasional encounters with them since the end of school and I still don't have any desire to forgive them for what they did to me.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:37 pm

weird_el wrote:

I do have forgiveness for anyone who has ever wronged me and actually came around and said they were sorry. It's that easy.

Me too.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 11:39 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
weird_el wrote:

Me too.

Some I cannot forgive, especially those who claimed to be friends.

On sabbatical...

GypsysOdyssey

06 Oct 2007, 11:41 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
weird_el wrote:

Me too.

Some I cannot forgive, especially those who claimed to be friends.

I agree. There's a handful of girls who totally betrayed me when I was in my teens, during one of the darkest points of my life, and I don't think I could forgive them if I even wanted to. Which I don't. I'm not bitter, but I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

GoatMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2007, 11:45 pm

GypsysOdyssey wrote:
I'm not bitter, but I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire.

How about strolling up to them with a gas can, asking if they'd like unleaded or premium?

Study like a scholar
Act like a gentleman
Dress like a soldier

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Oct 2007, 12:02 am

Indeed, I enjoy seeing old friends, aquatances, and often those who picked on me/beat me up as a kid. I understand people change, and for the most part I forgave them, I see many to this day and its nice to keep in touch, i can turn a former enemy into an aquatance, and an aquatance into a friend.

Not always the case but usually, I got picked on/beat up alot back then and yet, i miss those times :( and wish to return to them. I think live is too short for grudges, even once I have held against other for years, those grudges get soft and fall apart after a while, life is to short.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2007, 12:08 am

What if it was the other way around :evil: ?

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2007, 12:42 am

I could never forgive my tormenter....he is a f*****g monster that deserves to die the most painful and frightning death.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 1:35 am

Now that I have matured I understand it was unrealistic of my part to expect NTs not to make fun of me.

I forgive them.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 1:37 am

GypsysOdyssey wrote:
Well, in becoming more spiritual, I learned forgiveness is more of a gift to yourself then anyone else. I've forgiven the children who tortured me in school because they were just kids. I have a little harder time forgiving the teachers for making my life hell, over punishing me, and allowing and sometimes even encouraging the other kids to pick on me.

I haven't run into too many of the people I used to go to school with, though I did run into one about three years ago at a pet store. Now that I'm grown, ditched the dorky short haircut and got contacts this person decided I was good enough to ask out. I turned him down immediatly. It's petty, but man did that feel good!

It is hard to let it go, and it can take a long time if the people involved aren't there to help. I wouldn't say petty, I'd say payback is hell. :D

The guy who gave me the worst time in high school didn't make it to our 10-year reunion. He tried to hold up a liquor store and got his face blown off with a shotgun. I guess if he went that far to apologize, I can forgive him. :twisted:

Brian003 wrote:
What if it was the other way around :evil: ?

I didn't bully anyone, but I have made some nasty mistakes a long time ago that are painful to think about. I learned better and now I'm working on self-forgiveness. That's even harder.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Oct 2007, 1:38 am

Mw99 wrote:
Now that I have matured I understand it was unrealistic of my part to expect NTs not to make fun of me.

I forgive them.

ya, i mean, half the time i brought it upon myself too now that i think about it. I know i could not help it, but regardless, i was the new kid in a new school and being bad at first impressions, and everyone knew i was in special class at the time I had no chance and its amazing looking back that I managed to do so well years later... heh, it was almost like later on all those kids, as we got older forgot i was in special class and how much they messed with me because by the time I got into high school things improved greatly, perhapse people change and i know i have...