Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 1:27 am

For most of my adult life, I did not drink coffee. I simply never liked coffee flavor. There is one exception. I will drink the fruit flavored coffees at Dunkin Donuts if they are served hot and have cream and sugar in them. They are not too bad and the caffeine wakes me up.

But plain black coffee: Forget about it. I loathe the stuff. Never liked it. Never will. Don't care for iced coffee. Tea on the other hand with lemon and sugar I always liked. Do you think being on the Autistic Spectrum has any bearing on whether you dislike the taste of coffee? Am I the only one who feels this way?

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 1:29 am

I love coffee. Black as night.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 1:31 am

I hate coffee.

I'm my own guinea pig.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 1:47 am

I love coffee...freshly ground dark roast....yum yum yum.....
only problem for me is that it can tend to make me tired.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2007, 2:02 am

I love coffee... usually with lots of sugar and some milk.
My avatar is the molecule of cafeine by the way. :roll:

Riabhag
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2007, 2:57 am

I drink coffee mainly in the mornings, but seems to make me tired any other time of the day.

SonofStorms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2007, 3:03 am

Coffee and I are old friends...i work the night shift so i drink lots of it...or diet mtn. dew or diet coke...and when not drinking those i drink lots of energy drinks....

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:07 am

Black and strong, several pots a day.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:19 am

I used to drink tea, then i stopped this year (its very high in flouride) and switched to instant coffee. dash of rice milk, no sugar.

Ive always condidered myself hypersensitive to caffiene, but my tolerance is going up quickly. I can usually drink a heaped teaspoonful now without feeling like im about to die.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:20 am

I used to make coffee so strong I could almost stand a spoon in it. I wanted a good high.
Now I am so hyper sensitive that I get panic attacks if I have too much so can only have 2 cups a day and the rest has to be decaff.

I like Lattes.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:28 am

I see no one yet has said that coffee makes them speedy. My friend said that she gives her teenager son coffee before gong to bed at it helps with his ADD, do you think that stimulants have this effect with people on the spectrum?
I am interested because I have recently been diagnosed with AS and am on a GFCF and low sugar/stimulant diet.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:31 am

Graelwyn wrote:
I used to make coffee so strong I could almost stand a spoon in it. I wanted a good high.
Now I am so hyper sensitive that I get panic attacks if I have too much so can only have 2 cups a day and the rest has to be decaff.

I like Lattes.

I only have 1-2 mugs myself. Then i save myself so i can eat 85% chocolate into the late evening.

Have you started taking other drugs/foods that might interact with caffiene?

Theres an extremely common heart anomaly called mitral valve prolapse (MVP) which might be linked to magnesium deficiency - I increased my dietary magnesium last year & ive grown less panicky and able to handle more stimulants.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:33 am

psych wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

I like Lattes.

I only have 1-2 mugs myself. Then i save myself so i can eat 85% chocolate into the late evening.

Have you started taking other drugs/foods that might interact with caffiene?

Theres an extremely common heart anomaly called mitral valve prolapse (MVP) which might be linked to magnesium deficiency - I increased my dietary magnesium last year & ive grown less panicky and able to handle more stimulants.

Not been diagnosed with that condition, but I am thinking panic attacks are linked to my underactive thyroid or I have a very sensitive system. Most likely the former though as I could drink coffee fine until about 5 years ago. Now anything strong triggers a horrible response in me.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2007, 3:38 am

criss wrote:
I see no one yet has said that coffee makes them speedy. My friend said that she gives her teenager son coffee before gong to bed at it helps with his ADD, do you think that stimulants have this effect with people on the spectrum?
I am interested because I have recently been diagnosed with AS and am on a GFCF and low sugar/stimulant diet.

i have never had much caffinated stuff until recently, because i never liked carbonated drinks, and my parents never drank coffee, etc.

but i got curious, since my body seems to react oddly to drugs and things, which was annoying because doctors would never believe me or my reported reactions to various things... and i have found that a cup of coffee slugs me with so much RELAX and CALM it is nothing short of AMAZING! i don't get tired exactly, but... my mind slows down tons and i feel less anxious. for me, the effect is similar to a LARGE quanity of alcohol, but much better since i can still think and don't get a hangover!

however, i don't really like coffee too much. but also, a pill just doesn't hit me the same. does anyone know of an herbal tea or something i could try that has tons of caffeine in it???

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 4:09 am

Black and unsweetened for regular commercial grade coffee.

Black and sweetened for FRESHLY roasted coffee house coffee. --I hate the taste of honey or raw sugar with oxidised coffee.

I also prefer my coffee very strong.

holdsteady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2007, 4:09 am

espresso